|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to RVing.....please help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest reading a lot of old post/questions. That is where I started, then learned more about what questions to ask.

Good luck

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for a generator you need a 3500+ watt, 3K watt. Gen to run an a/c that will burn thru 5 gallons of gas a day, more or less. And most campgrounds have quiet hours, no generator operations between 8 PM and next morning 8 or 9 AM. Running a generator will all the time will make you very unpopular so get a quiet inverter generator, but they as still fairly noisy. Non inverter gens are noisy and can cause trouble with electronics.

I did run into one campground that provided power at 110 V which can damage your a/c. But for the most part the power is OK in campgrounds.

Where do you plan to camp anyway? You can run everything from the campground power unless you plan to camp without utilities.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of grease on the ball we use several layers of wax paper. Don't have to clean it off your pants...

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Underoath1842

Storage.....california

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The generator would be mostly used for when out on the land with no one around, so I guess its loudness wouldnt really matter. Thanks again everyone.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Instead of grease on the ball we use several layers of wax paper. Don't have to clean it off your pants...

Yeah using grease will make it clear why people stick a tennis ball on the hitch ball, really fast. That grease goes on white but turns black.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Underoath1842 wrote:

The generator would be mostly used for when out on the land with no one around, so I guess its loudness wouldnt really matter. Thanks again everyone.

Well then I suggest looking at Champion inverter 3500 watt gens, a lot cheaper than Honda or Yamaha and work well.

DutchmenSport

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Stay White is lithium grease, use it on virtually anything instead of black grease. More than likely, used on a hitch ball or on weight distribution hitch joints. Can also use it on anything that squeaks and rubs instead of oils, especially black oils. Its a grease, use it on anything.

Yes, that first one is a water pressure regulator using in-line with your garden hose, the white hose to run water to your camper.

The mess of wires: the black one is a COAX cable for television antenna or for running a wire to the campground television cable hook up.

The green wire looks like a standard extension cord used outside. You can use it for anything, running an extra light, or even plugging in an electric skillet.

The yellow Y is a garden hose splitter, so you can attach 2 garden hoses to one spigot. If you camp in campgrounds with shared water spigots, these are essential.

The short white garden hose with the spring around it, attached to the L, attaches to the outside of your camper where you attach the garden hose for water. Folks use these so the weight of the garden hose pulls straight down. Otherwise, the garden hose attaches horrizontal directly into the side of the camper and, theoretically could bend and kink. This prevents the hose from bending and kinking.

The red funnel could be used for anything, but I wonder if the previous owner used it to stick into the fresh water fill for the fresh water tank and then he could just hold the garden hose over the opening and fill the tank. When we had our TT it had a gravity fill port for the fresh water tank. I cut in half a hose from an old washing machine connection and the cut end fit perfectly into the fresh water fill port. It could be shoved down the hole a foot or two and I wouldn't have to stand there and hold the hose and splash myself. Looks like this guy might have just used a funnel to fill the water tank.

No idea what the chain is for, unless it's an additional safety chain for the trailer, but it could be used for anything... including hanging a pot over a campfire.

The little white cap looks like a cap-cover that goes over the bolt on the floor that holds a toilet to the floor.

There is another smaller chain on the bottom of the pile. It could have been used for anything. Without seeing what's attached to the end, more than likely, the previous owner hung something from it too. It's too short to be used for very much. Maybe just some left over from some other project he had.

In the other photo, that blue plastic pipe is a cold water PEX pipe. Probably an extra left over from a repair he did. No clue what that white channel is, but looks like a section of trim from the trailer, or maybe a cover for the awning when rolled up. Do you have a short awning, like over a window or door?

In the other photo, the clear plastic tube is used for attaching to your water pump so you can winterize your water system.

You have a water pressure regulator that attaches to your garden hose, a Y for your garden hose, an adaptor to plug your camper into a standard wall socket inside a house or garage. The other side should match your 30 amp power cord for your camper. Looks like that white plug is a plug you attach to your city water inlet (garden hose), so you can attach an air compressor and blow out your water lines when you winterize your water system. And that other metal thing attaches to an air compressor hose, probably matched up to the blow plug, which I just identified, for winterizing. I'm not sure what that split metal thing is. Never seen anything like that before. And of course, looks like you got a freebee screw driver.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AC has or doesn’t have a soft start?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Underoath1842

Storage.....california

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Dutch! I mean I knew what the coax and extension cords and adapters were, just not the piping and metal pieces. We are moving out of our apt on the 30th and starting out adventure. Looking for a long term park but we love in California where the fires were so almost all of them are full right now.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picture 1) Water pressure regulator
Picture 2) From top to bottom it is mostly winterizing equipment. I see
  • Clear tubing to suck antifreeze out of the jug.
  • The pressure regulator from picture #1.
  • Adapter to use air pressure to blow out the lines for winterizing.
  • A modified air hose fitting that comes to a point. My guess is to be able to apply air pressure to a hose that does not have a threaded end. To the left of the adapter is a cut open fitting, never seen anything like that. But I would hazard a guess that it's used like a funnel of some sort, maybe to add bleach to the gravity fill port when sanitizing the fresh water tank come spring.
  • 30-15 amp electrical adapter.
  • And a Y fitting for the campground spigot to allow you to use the spigot while still hooked up to the RV.

Picture 3) A 90deg elbow for city water hook up. Mount the elbow on the RV so the hose drops straight down. Helps keep the hose from kinking while hook to the RV.

Picture 4) Probably grease for the trailer ball.

Picture 5) Again multiple items.
  • Green is a standard 125 v 15 amp extension cord.
  • Two black coils of coax cable to either a satellite dish or maybe cable tv hookup at a campsite.
  • A length of light duty chain, not heavy enough for a safety chain so not sure what previous owner was using it for
  • Red funnel looks like an automatic transmission filling funnel.
  • Your 90 degree water fitting,
  • Your yellow Y adapter for the hose.

Picture 5) Two fresh water hoses. One has a has a shutoff valve threaded onto it.

Picture 6)
  • Not sure what the blue stick is for, but it's obviously a length of PEX water tubing. You'll probably find a port somewhere in the fresh water system with a valve that the blue will connect to. Find that port and the use might become obvious.
  • The piece of rain gutter is possibly a sewer hose support.
  • The white stick with a hose fitting is probably a cleaning wand that you put through the toilet and down into the black tank.
  • The gauge is a standard water pressure gauge. I'll bet the previous owner screwed the gauge into the second port of the Y adapter to keep an eye on the campground water pressure spikes.

Picture 7) Sewer hose support. Holds the hose up off the ground with a slight decline from RV to dump inlet.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to RVing.....please help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS