RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Want an electric truck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Want an electric truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't remember the exact numbers, but fast chargers do draw about 5 kW.
Not too many houses have wiring for that and you will need fast charger for heavy vehicles.
On positive side, I hear that charging times batteries take are shorter and shorter.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Commercial fast chargers are more like 25kW to 200+kW. Most common is 25 to 75 but the newest are at the top and going up. Compare to Tesla's largest battery at 100 kWh.

Most normal home charging is about 30 amps at 240v for 7kW. About the same as an electric oven. Most new homes are wired with 200 amp service and could support close to 25kW charging but it is generally pointless for overnight charging. Even 80 or 100 amp service can easily support EV charging as the vehicles will charge slower if power is restricted. Even a 20 amp 240v circuit would be more than enough except for maybe an extreme commuter. I recently installed a 30 amp circuit in a rental house with just 100 amp main panel and easily provides 24 amps to the vehicle.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I don't remember the exact numbers, but fast chargers do draw about 5 kW.
Not too many houses have wiring for that and you will need fast charger for heavy vehicles.
On positive side, I hear that charging times batteries take are shorter and shorter.

Why would you need a fast charge at home? Most people will plug in the vehicle when they get home and let it charge overnight while they sleep. Fast chargers are only needed for people that want to charge mid trip.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DWeikert wrote:

Why would you need a fast charge at home?

Well God forbid you have to leave your home more than once per day. Maybe I want to head in one direction in the morning, then the other direction in the afternoon. I'm not going to be happy if I have to wait until tomorrow to run that second errand.

Or, maybe there's an EMERGENCY? Need to take a sick kid to urgent care... Nope, sorry, car's dead, gotta wait until tomorrow morning... or call an ambulance, or beg a neighbor with a gas car, or call an uber. Maybe making them suffer will toughen them up.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

DWeikert wrote:

Well God forbid you have to leave your home more than once per day. Maybe I want to head in one direction in the morning, then the other direction in the afternoon. I'm not going to be happy if I have to wait until tomorrow to run that second errand.

Or, maybe there's an EMERGENCY? Need to take a sick kid to urgent care... Nope, sorry, car's dead, gotta wait until tomorrow morning... or call an ambulance, or beg a neighbor with a gas car, or call an uber. Maybe making them suffer will toughen them up.

I’m not following. On the off chance you came home in a gas car and wanted to go out that afternoon the other direction would have to gas it up before you went home. Do the same thing with the EV. We’ve been in that situation a couple times. Pop into a fast charger for 15 minutes before you go home. Put half a charge on it. Then when you get home you’ll still have half a charge for emergencies.

It’s not that hard living with an EV. Home fueling makes it considerably more convenient than gas diesel or propane or hydrogen. And the fuel is a heck of a lot cheaper.

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Y’all can beat this to death again if you want. The treehuggers say it’s THE answer. The rednecks say it’s garbage.
Bottom line, no, it’s not THE answer yet. But it’s AN answer. Commuter vehicles, short trips, great, for now.
Hooking and booking with some real weight, uphill into the wind, out in the country, EVs are not up to that task yet or even close. There’s not even any infrastructure to support it.
So keep arguing, but you all know the answer and refuse to acknowledge the other side of the coin.

This is it in a nut shell. Someday they may be awesome and I will want one. But thats not today. They don't build any electric vehicle today that I find useful for me, except a golf cart or a fork lift. Even those 2 I would rather have gas and propane for the second.

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

DWeikert wrote:

So you drove the thing 250+ miles in the morning and you get home near empty and start normal charging at 25 MPH....

How far is urgent care anyway? Yes some people may have 40+ miles to the grocery store and maybe same to the hospital. But really what is it?

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, an electric truck would have to preform nearly equal to my GMC 2500. I could sacrifice 20% in range, provided I could refuel completely in no more than triple the time I can refuel a gas truck. I coulg justify a price premium. But I couldn't accept any decrease in payload and towing capacities. And those range requirements have to be met under the most adverse condItions relating to loads and weather.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

For me, an electric truck would have to preform nearly equal to my GMC 2500. I could sacrifice 20% in range, provided I could refuel completely in no more than triple the time I can refuel a gas truck. I coulg justify a price premium. But I couldn't accept any decrease in payload and towing capacities. And those range requirements have to be met under the most adverse condItions relating to loads and weather.

I think the adverse weather (eg real cold weather) would probably make it not work for you. Everything else would probably doable. Cold weather affects EV’s, cold weather affects EV’s towing even more. You might be running your GMC 2500 for awhile yet.

Petrol vehicles will have a role to play for a decade or two yet. Your situation is one of them yet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Want an electric truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS