RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Fuel cleaner/additive for Onan generator

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Fuel cleaner/additive for Onan generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Servicing my Microquiet 4000 Onan gas generator and wondering how to use fuel cleanser for generator? Pour in RV tank, or disconnect fuel intake line at generator and introduce additive that way (provided there's a fuel pump in generator....not sure?). Didn't want carb to gum up over time and use. And, what type of fuel additive have you folks used for this purpose? Thanks in advance!

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does Onan recommend?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing. Ever. 2002 Roadtrek with an Onan Microlite 2800, ran fine except for a solenoid replacement 8 years ago. Had nothing to do with bad fuel. Chassis engine always started and generator always started.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the best additive is new clean fuel, regularly, run through the fuel lines and carburetor. That means running the generator about every month for long enough to burn out the old fuel, then, get it warmed up and put it under +-3/4 load for a few minutes. (20 to 30 minutes total run time) You can add Sta-bil, Seafoam or something similar to your fuel tank, if you want, but, IMO, running the genny, . . . . regularly, is what keeps it going reliably, with minimal fuel issues. You can drain the fuel and run the genny until dry if you know you aren't going to use it for a while. (like 6 months) Leaving the same gasoline, especially E10 or higher in the carburetor for over a month is the beginning of problems down the road.

Chum lee

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Seafoam in the RV gas tank at the end of the camping season. I drive and run the genny on this mix for a bout 30 minutes, then park it for the winter.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

IMO the best additive is new clean fuel, regularly, run through the fuel lines and carburetor. That means running the generator about every month for long enough to burn out the old fuel, then, get it warmed up and put it under +-3/4 load for a few minutes. (20 to 30 minutes total run time) You can add Sta-bil, Seafoam or something similar to your fuel tank, if you want, but, IMO, running the genny, . . . . regularly, is what keeps it going reliably, with minimal fuel issues. You can drain the fuel and run the genny until dry if you know you aren't going to use it for a while. (like 6 months) Leaving the same gasoline, especially E10 or higher in the carburetor for over a month is the beginning of problems down the road.

Chum lee

Agree. Run it dry before storage if you're worried about it but in 8 years only had the one problem related to not exercising it regularly. Corroded wires leading to/from the power source transfer solenoid.
Btw, I believe stuff like Seafoam is just some form of diesel fuel. Probably not a great idea to put it in a gasoline system but it's up to the user.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're interested in running a cleaner thru the Onan, there is a fuel pump inside the casing, and with some minor surgery, you could run off a small fuel tank or can that holds your Seafoam, STP, or whatever else you want to try running thru the Onan. Just make sure it's safe for the Onan...

Crawl underneath, and you should see a rubber fuel line exiting the generator compartment, attaching somewhere near the frame to a metal fuel line out of the main tank. Disconnect the feed hose from the main fuel tank line, and connect that up to a hose connected to the aux fuel source.

I've considered putting in a permanent bypass valve similar to the one on our fresh water tank for feeding anti-freeze into the plumbing system. That way I can exercise the generator without worrying about the level of the gas tank on the motorhome. Might also be a benefit for boondocking.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your generator should be exercised monthly. One good reason is so you don't gum up the carb, the other is to keep the genset in good working order - brushes don't build up moisture/rust etc. I think about an hour under load is the general rule of thumb. I'd take a generator with a lot of hours over one that has sat any day - they need to be run.

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I do use my generator a lot and have always run it under load (a/c or microwave running) all year long as well as driving the RV during the winter season for about 30 minutes just to keep things lubed and moving. Have had no issues with either but was just confirming if there was something more I should be doing.........thanks!

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any fuel system cleaner that is good for the big gas engine will also be good for the little one.

SeaFaom is NOT a good cleaner; it was designed as a fuel stabilizer.

Gumout and Berrymans B12 Chemtool are the best cleaners on the market.
Assuming that your big engine is fuel injected, Techron would be good for routine use too.

It is best to use fuel system cleaners with half a tank of gas during a trip when you can run the gen too......because putting the right amount into a tank that is 40 gallons or more can get to be kind of expensive.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Fuel cleaner/additive for Onan generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS