RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Southeast Texas to the Smoky Mountains

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Southeast Texas to the Smoky Mountains

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
southerngirl76

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Im a big fan on leaving after work and gettin 4-5 hours down the road. I'll pack the day before, and when I get home, change clothes and hit the road.

Also have you found a campsite in Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg yet?? Many of the campgrounds close after the fall leaf season and the open back up in the spring. Also between Christmas and New Years is a really busy time there. We went the day after Christmas a few years ago, and the area is packed, but we had a great time.

Yeah I was thinking of leaving Friday night. Not sure about that as it will be dark before my husband even gets home from work and I don't know where to stop at 11PM at night. No I haven't found a campsite. That's why I asked here. I'm trying to figure it out and make some reservations.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chattanooga you might look at the Camping World for a place to overnight. There are slim choices for RV parks in the area. The drive from Pigeon Forge to Chatt. is roughly 3 hours. I would take 321 out of PF over to Maryville and then 411 down to Ocoee and then 74 over to Cleveland, you can pick up 75 to the Camping World at exit 1. It's close to everything you will want to see. It's not deluxe but will serve the purpose.

There are no "dinner shows" at Dollywood. There are the shows and they have separate restaurants. Look up their website if you haven't yet. The best dinner show in town is Dolly's Stampede, formerly Dixie Stampede. They just opened the Pirate show this past spring too but I have not been to it. I hear it is fun and good entertainment.

Your itinerary sounds very doable. I have to mention too, go see the Hermitage while in Nashville, Thomas Jefferson's home. The museum is very interesting if you enjoy history and the house tour is neat to see. Not much to see on the grounds even though Jefferson's grave is in the garden area. Glad to help with any other questions for this area.

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shallow Creek RV Park near Gladewater, TX is just north of I-20 Exit 583 on HWY 135. Voted best RV Park in East Texas and is a very nice place

Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

southerngirl76

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

Chattanooga you might look at the Camping World for a place to overnight. There are slim choices for RV parks in the area. The drive from Pigeon Forge to Chatt. is roughly 3 hours. I would take 321 out of PF over to Maryville and then 411 down to Ocoee and then 74 over to Cleveland, you can pick up 75 to the Camping World at exit 1. It's close to everything you will want to see. It's not deluxe but will serve the purpose.

There are no "dinner shows" at Dollywood. There are the shows and they have separate restaurants. Look up their website if you haven't yet. The best dinner show in town is Dolly's Stampede, formerly Dixie Stampede. They just opened the Pirate show this past spring too but I have not been to it. I hear it is fun and good entertainment.

Your itinerary sounds very doable. I have to mention too, go see the Hermitage while in Nashville, Thomas Jefferson's home. The museum is very interesting if you enjoy history and the house tour is neat to see. Not much to see on the grounds even though Jefferson's grave is in the garden area. Glad to help with any other questions for this area.

Thank you very much for the route information. That is very helpful .I did mean Dixie Stampede and not Dollywood. I think I've been researching so much my brain is fried.

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

I have to mention too, go see the Hermitage while in Nashville, Thomas Jefferson's home. The museum is very interesting if you enjoy history and the house tour is neat to see. Not much to see on the grounds even though Jefferson's grave is in the garden area. Glad to help with any other questions for this area.

I, too, would recommend the Hermitage. I did see that Nashville site when I was there on a short visit (not camping). However, to set the record straight, it was Andrew Jackson's home, not Jefferson's. Jackson came a few Presidents after Jefferson. Jefferson's home is in Virginia, Monticello.

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one_strange_texan wrote:

ken56 wrote:

I have to mention too, go see the Hermitage while in Nashville, Thomas Jefferson's home. The museum is very interesting if you enjoy history and the house tour is neat to see. Not much to see on the grounds even though Jefferson's grave is in the garden area. Glad to help with any other questions for this area.

I, too, would recommend the Hermitage. I did see that Nashville site when I was there on a short visit (not camping). However, to set the record straight, it was Andrew Jackson's home, not Jefferson's. Jackson came a few Presidents after Jefferson. Jefferson's home is in Virginia, Monticello.

OMG, you are so very right, my mistake. Old people malady...and I am only 63. Lol, I was just thinking about St. Louis and the arch and it's Gateway to the West museum. That too is worth while to stop and actually read everything although it could take you all day.

southerngirl76

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you suggest I skip Chattanooga on the way home and instead go back thru Nashville and see the Hermitage? We have taken the kids to see the Arch in St. Louis a few years ago on the way home from Milwaukee. If we went back the exact way we can I might could add a night in Hot Springs. We love it there. Been many times and the kids always ask if we can go back and get the good water.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Camping World in Chattanooga is ok but just a sleep stopover. I would go to Hermitage for sure. Good history lesson.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Southeast Texas to the Smoky Mountains
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS