|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thinking of a Mercedes Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
smsmith

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking of selling our TT and purchasing a used ā€œCā€. Anyone have an opinion on a used Mercedes class C? We think we want a diesel.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Why diesel? Ford V-10 is more or less bullet proof, and inexpensive to repair compared to diesel.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mercedes RVs are expensive...new and used IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also take into consideration if you plan to tow a vehicle behind it. The Mercedes only has around 190 horsepower.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smsmith wrote:

We are thinking of selling our TT and purchasing a used ā€œCā€. Anyone have an opinion on a used Mercedes class C? We think we want a diesel.

Excellent choice. They have superior fuel economy to the V10, typically twice as far on a gallon of fuel, and diesel still hasn't risen to twice the price of gasoline. They're quieter up front, no doghouse, and can tow up to their GCWR of 15,250 lbs, minus the the Sprinter's loaded for travel weight. You can get up to 4 times as far on an oil change as with a gasoline engine, by design. They can be maintained in a DIY manner after the warranty expires, albeit a little differently than a gas engine.
Search these forums for diesel versus gas topics, as there are a gazillion of them, all pretty much as inconclusive as this one will be.
Cue Ron Dittmer......

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) N24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a C on a Ford chassis and now own a C with the MB Sprinter chassis. They are both good, in their own ways. You can't directly compare them to each other as they are apples and oranges. It's up the individual to determine which is one is best for his/her needs. Many of the Sprinter mohos can tow 5,000 lbs.

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

Why diesel? Ford V-10 is more or less bullet proof, and inexpensive to repair compared to diesel.

I met a Canadian couple, that had traveled extensively in a Sprinter based rig, when I was in Mexico a couple of years ago. They loved it.

They had traveled all over the US and Mexico and had averaged around 20 mpg.

Regarding longevity, I have been watching sprinter based box trucks and see quite a few with over 300k miles listed as "runs and drives great".

My V10 didn't do quite as well.....

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having had both a diesel class C and a gas, I can safely say I got only 25% better mileage on the diesel. I can also tell you that maintenance costs on the diesel were about 400% more than on the gas unit. For example an oil change is more than triple on a diesel.

The scary part on the Mercedes is the fuel system where some folks have had problems that the warranty did NOT cover.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our MB is getting up in years its a 2007 with the MB 5 cyc diesel. have no complaints ,more leg room in the drivers seat , I,ve had big A,s and tc and tt. I,ll keep this one. don,t need a big rv only if your going to live in it. look at LTV leisurevans.com. p.s and we can camp for the night or along the beach most any where. it don,t get stuck when its off the blacktop.

EV2

South Dakota/Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Having had both a diesel class C and a gas, I can safely say I got only 25% better mileage on the diesel. I can also tell you that maintenance costs on the diesel were about 400% more than on the gas unit. For example an oil change is more than triple on a diesel.

The scary part on the Mercedes is the fuel system where some folks have had problems that the warranty did NOT cover.

Oil change is 13 quarts but you should only have to do once a year unless running tons of miles and nothing special you cannot do yourself. Really surprised that you can get over 13 mpg on the gas unit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thinking of a Mercedes Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS