RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Know RV or campers association...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Know RV or campers association...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Had the same brickbats on my topic on the sad state of our national parks/forests based on my recent camping trips from California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada.

-----------------------------------------------

Yes and we pointed out why that is the case and how to fix it:
1) Stop buying new land until you can maintain what you have
2) Remove regulations that make maintenance and repair outrageously costly
3) Put managers in that can do the above.

Let me point out you already have the Sierra Club, probably lots of campers there.

So you agree with the recent moves by the government about NPS, public lands and the new endangered species regs?

By the way, the new high level director they are putting in the NPS is a lawyer whose life's work was to open up public lands into private hands.

Yes I agree 100% with the endangered species act which has been transformed in an anti land owner and industry act. Not to say that I'm anti conservation, I'm not. But it has to be done on a rational and not doctrinaire basis

The 12% figure seems to have no documented basis but even if it is true then all government agencies need to be cut back. I think that some public lands need to handed over to private ownership. Have to think about that in a case by case basis.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh and the 2017 NPS budget was 2.55 Billion the 2018 budget is 2.7 Billion, how can anyone except a democrat call that a cut? The 2019 budget is unknown at this time.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

The 40+ million number cannot be RVers. The industry makes about 500,000 units a year (from RVIA) even if you assume that the average RV lasts 15 years that's only 7.5 million units in the US. I could not find an estimate of the total number of RV's in the US.

Some of those units, a lot of them probably, are permanently parked in RV/mobile home parks too and I don't call that camping.

My guess is something like 4 to 5 million RVers actively traveling in their units. I've seen estimates of 500,000 full timers.

As the link indicate, those are all campers.

I don't know the numbers for our subset of RVers but you may be right on the estimate. I just think we have more clout as we would be camping longer and got taxed for our RV, accessories, gas and equipment.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Oh and the 2017 NPS budget was 2.55 Billion the 2018 budget is 2.7 Billion, how can anyone except a democrat call that a cut? The 2019 budget is unknown at this time.

Actuals - 2018 $3.6B
2019 $3.2B

Cut - $0.4 billion

Same math-challenge calculations or sloganeering against deficit, now about to GOP Great Recession level of $1 trillion under the great Bush Jr.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I think that some public lands need to handed over to private ownership. Have to think about that in a case by case basis.

Yeah, let's give Bundy additional pasture range even if he is stiffing us taxpayers for not paying his fees.

And he got connection now, the lawyer defending him is now appointed for these public lands.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Don't know of any RV organization that covers those bases.

Be careful of environmental organizations. A group like the Sierra Club would prefer to ban RVs from public land and only allow hikers/backpackers.

If I recall correctly, their position is to limit private vehicles going inside the most popular national parks and provide instead natural gas fed public buses. If ever, that would exempt RVs because, duh, we camp with our rigs.

The traffic in Yosemite this summer is just terrible and it's really more convenient to use buses going around. Bus within the village is free and there are fare-based buses doing the longer routes. I actually like them as I can't actually do sightseeing while driving without endangering my family.

* This post was edited 08/14/19 09:45am by Yosemite Sam1 *

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

Don't know of any RV organization that covers those bases.

Be careful of environmental organizations. A group like the Sierra Club would prefer to ban RVs from public land and only allow hikers/backpackers.

If I recall correctly, their position is to limit private vehicles going inside the most popular national parks and provide instead natural gas fed public buses. If ever, that would exempt RVsbecause, duh, we camp with our rigs.

The traffic in Yosemite this summer is just terrible and it's really more convenient to us buses going around. Bus within the village is free and there are fare-based buses doing the longer routes. I actually like them as I can't actually do sightseeing while driving without endangering my family.

I don't know what type of RV you have but when you arrive at the Sierra Club meeting be it in a class A/B/C or a TT or 5'r being pulled by a large diesel truck, or even a gasser, you're going to be the life of the party with these folks. Maybe they'll break out the ladders and rags and help you wax it.

BTW, to quote you from before........"Again, this is not political." LOL

[image]

[image]

[image]

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Close most parks to the public. Keep a few open using mass transit.

The goal is preserve and protect, not splay open and exploit.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

NPS has always had public access as part of their mission. This is directly opposite of wilderness declarations. There is a room for both types.

-----
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickLight wrote:

GordonThree wrote:

NPS has always had public access as part of their mission. This is directly opposite of wilderness declarations. There is a room for both types.

And defeats its purpose and its mission.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Know RV or campers association...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS