RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Vanhool 45’ Electric Motorcoach. For the conversion crowd.

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Conversion Buses

 > Vanhool 45’ Electric Motorcoach. For the conversion crowd.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/13/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe of interest to the bus conversion crowd. 45 foot straight electric motorcoach.

https://www.proterra.com/vehicles/proterra-powered-vehicles/coach-bus/

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/13/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This says it all....

"For clean, quiet and comfortable intercity travel"


2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 08/14/19 12:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The school bus option is interesting. That would be a good option for electric drivetrain.

Even in rural areas, most bus routes are capped at around an hour, so even a 60 mile range gives you sufficient capacity. Then the bus goes back to a yard where it can be plugged in to top up before the next run. If you are worried about longer range field trips, keep 5-10% of the fleet as diesel to cover that need.

With operating ranges topping out (with the extra large battery pack) at around 200 miles, use as an RV seems pretty questionable.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


erniee

Weatherford, Texas 76086

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll take my Series 60 Detroit diesel burner any day


Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 03/26/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/14/19 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local transit system took delivery of 3 of their shorter transit buses, so far seem to be working well. Built in South Carolina.


-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The requirements for a bus and an RV are vastly different. While this may work to transport people intra city travel, outfitting it with stove, water heater, outlets, TV's, lights, etc etc for an RV would change the requirements so significantly that probably makes "converting" the way it is too expensive.

I do like the progression on this though. We may very well see in a few years, viable electric mh's.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

The requirements for a bus and an RV are vastly different. While this may work to transport people intra city travel, outfitting it with stove, water heater, outlets, TV's, lights, etc etc for an RV would change the requirements so significantly that probably makes "converting" the way it is too expensive.

I do like the progression on this though. We may very well see in a few years, viable electric mh's.
.

Agreed. I think it will start with busses like this and for the B class motorhomes it will start with vehicles like the Mercedes E vans. Charging infrastructure will need to adapt as well. Pull thru spots etc.

I noticed some of the latest DCFC chargers in our area are parallel parking affairs. That would work for a 22 foot E Van type Motorhome.

Should be an interesting decade.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

way2roll wrote:

The requirements for a bus and an RV are vastly different. While this may work to transport people intra city travel, outfitting it with stove, water heater, outlets, TV's, lights, etc etc for an RV would change the requirements so significantly that probably makes "converting" the way it is too expensive.

I do like the progression on this though. We may very well see in a few years, viable electric mh's.
.

Agreed. I think it will start with busses like this and for the B class motorhomes it will start with vehicles like the Mercedes E vans. Charging infrastructure will need to adapt as well. Pull thru spots etc.

I noticed some of the latest DCFC chargers in our area are parallel parking affairs. That would work for a 22 foot E Van type Motorhome.

Should be an interesting decade.


I see wireless charging coming into the mix. A pad you simply park over and it charges your car/RV. Same principal as the charging pads for phones and devices now. Saves on space and aesthetically would look better. Fast forward to charging pads embedded in highways - charge while you travel.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Reisender wrote:

way2roll wrote:

The requirements for a bus and an RV are vastly different. While this may work to transport people intra city travel, outfitting it with stove, water heater, outlets, TV's, lights, etc etc for an RV would change the requirements so significantly that probably makes "converting" the way it is too expensive.

I do like the progression on this though. We may very well see in a few years, viable electric mh's.
.

Agreed. I think it will start with busses like this and for the B class motorhomes it will start with vehicles like the Mercedes E vans. Charging infrastructure will need to adapt as well. Pull thru spots etc.

I noticed some of the latest DCFC chargers in our area are parallel parking affairs. That would work for a 22 foot E Van type Motorhome.

Should be an interesting decade.


I see wireless charging coming into the mix. A pad you simply park over and it charges your car/RV. Same principal as the charging pads for phones and devices now. Saves on space and aesthetically would look better. Fast forward to charging pads embedded in highways - charge while you travel.


No time to look now but it seems to me one of the German manufacturers (maybe BMW) was playing around with this. Neat idea.

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Online
Posted: 08/14/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

The school bus option is interesting. That would be a good option for electric drivetrain.

Even in rural areas, most bus routes are capped at around an hour, so even a 60 mile range gives you sufficient capacity. Then the bus goes back to a yard where it can be plugged in to top up before the next run. If you are worried about longer range field trips, keep 5-10% of the fleet as diesel to cover that need.


The other big advantage for school busses (and, for that matter, city transit busses) is that there is a lot of starting and stopping, and regenerative braking is pretty easy to implement on an electric vehicle, so you can gain a good bit of additional efficiency that way--and lower wear on the mechanical brakes at the same time. An RV usually is driven in exactly the opposite sort of conditions, with longish highway travel segments and stop-and-go driving avoided.

way2roll wrote:

I see wireless charging coming into the mix. A pad you simply park over and it charges your car/RV. Same principal as the charging pads for phones and devices now. Saves on space and aesthetically would look better. Fast forward to charging pads embedded in highways - charge while you travel.


Wireless charging tends to be comparatively inefficient (at least when compared with a wire connection), which is not too much of a concern for the few watts a phone or razor or toothbrush needs but starts to be more so for a vehicle that needs a few orders of magnitude more power. Also, having a high-power inductive coil in the floor is not always a great idea from a safety point of view; it could turn into an inductive cooktop if you happen to drop a wrongly-shaped wrench on it, and there would be sizable magnetic fields to wreck havoc with stuff.

Maybe a reasonable alternative would be the overhead roof contact and conductive floor like they use for bumper cars.





Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Conversion Buses

 > Vanhool 45’ Electric Motorcoach. For the conversion crowd.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS