RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Do we or don't we?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Do we or don't we?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

If your wife must go on " SSI disability " would she not get Medicaid also ? You may have to stay on your job till 65 so you can get Medicare to replace your insurance unless you get VA benifit

When DH went on disability, he had to be on it for 2 years before he went on Medicare Disability. Until then, he was on my insurance as I was still working.

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With no pension and too little saved and no post retirement health insurance, I would not consider it. Whatever money you have will be tied up in your medical bills.

I advise what another poster said and that is to continue working at least till you can draw social security (62) and be on Medicare (65). Even then, your wife's health insurance will likely be astronomical.

Sorry, but I would continue to enjoy your park model.

Dale

arhayes

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on recommending continuing to work. Unless you plan on boondocking and not doing much traveling, full-time RVing is not necessarily inexpensive. You can expect monthly expenses to be equivalent to your current outlay, so without a pension and with inadequate savings, you will not be helping yourself. I’d also suggest you find a good financial planner and let them help you navigate this decision.

Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk with your insurance agent about what your medical costs will be. And for god's sake, don't believe financial advice from strangers on the internet. Just use us for ideas that you can investigate further.

Everyone has different circumstances, but from what you have said, (imo) holding out to Medicare age could really make a difference in your cash flow.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pretty much a consensus of me waiting until I reach 65. We'll know more after my wife's upcoming surgery next week. A few stairs she handles fine, our two story house with a basement are a huge struggle.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I retired at 62 and am now 64. I made certain to have adequate savings before retiring so that a low income qualifies me for free insurance thru the Health Exchange (Obamacare). I won't tap my retirement 401K until I'm 65 and qualify for Medicare. With the Affordable Care act (Obamacare) 401k withdrawals count as income.

Unfortunately if you haven't planned ahead such as getting debt free and saving cash, you're stuck working.

Just because you need to work doesn't mean you are stuck in your current job. Reinvent yourself, start a business, be creative.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full timing is expensive been on the road since 10/16, I budget about $3500-4000 a month sometimes more sometimes less.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WRT work, there's been some changes at my employer that has significantly increased my work load. I'm good at what I do, and as such, catch a lot of special projects. Also picking up for someone else that got moved, and he was an idiot.

We've been working very hard to pay off everything, only thing left is house mortgage and small equity loan. Everything else is paid for. Savings are a little lower than I'd like. 401k is adequate.

3.5-4k is a bit more than I'd have thunk it would be, but haven't sat down to try and cypher a full timing budget.

I put together a plan to buy a truck in 2 to 2.5 years, Fiver in 3 to 3.5 years, retire in 3.5 at 65, sell the B&M home shortly after that.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spend about $1500 - 1700 on fuel per month,average 6.5 - 7 mpg.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ONLY FUEL! Wholly crud, your monthly expensive must be off the charts!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Do we or don't we?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS