|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Two honda generators in tandem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They obviously are not running in parallel together. Something is wrong. 4200 starting watts is almost 35 amps. Everything inside should run in that 30 amp rig...only 3600 watts is needed to make that 30amps which is probably close to the running watts of those 2 gennies

* This post was edited 08/15/19 04:46am by librty02 *

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do they both have to be running ?

It is my attempt at a joke !

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbwallace wrote:

It sounds as though the generators are not actually running in parallel for some reason. I have run a 13.5 A/C unit on a single Honda at much lower altitudes but it is about all the generator can handle. I have also tried to do the same at 5,000+ feet and it will not do it. However, I have run 2 Hondas in parallel many times and it will run the microwave, A/C and fridge all at the same time with no problem. The Hondas in parallel should run close to all of the same amenities as a 30A outlet.

^^^ check this.. When I was running the same set up, I was rushed 1 day during set up and I reversed 2 of the 3 cables that run it in parallel.. was not running AC, just everything else, the MAIN genny ran out of fuel while the 2nd was still almost full....All the draw was on 1

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a new Dometic 13.5 that would just not run reliably on our twin Yamaha 2ks. Switched to a new Atwood AC and they have absolutely zero issue running the AC. I tried all the tricks to get the Dometic to run with different Start Caps and turning off other items and breakers but it just wasn't 100% reliable, more like 60%. We use our toy hauler as a rolling kennel more than anything so having no AC was not a option especially if we were out to dinner and didn't know if turned off. Also we are at Sea Level so our gens should of been making as much power as they can.

I submit not every AC is electrically efficient, there may even be difference within the same Model of the same Brand. Our Atwood came with the testing forms the factory used when they checked it's electrical usage. LRA, running Amps and in every fan speed and mode and it is well within our gens capabilities yet the Dometic was not for some reason.

* This post was edited 08/14/19 09:48am by 1320Fastback *

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all 2200 + 2000 = 4200 (not 4400). Secondly at that altitude you are losing a lot of power; however, the AC should still run. Also, is that running watts or starting watts? Running watts could be way less and make a difference depending on other loads sucking power away at the same time as you trying to start the AC. Make sure everything else is turned off before you start the AC. Lastly, the start capacitor in the AC could be going bad.

cbwallace

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

cbwallace wrote:

It sounds as though the generators are not actually running in parallel for some reason. I have run a 13.5 A/C unit on a single Honda at much lower altitudes but it is about all the generator can handle. I have also tried to do the same at 5,000+ feet and it will not do it. However, I have run 2 Hondas in parallel many times and it will run the microwave, A/C and fridge all at the same time with no problem. The Hondas in parallel should run close to all of the same amenities as a 30A outlet.

^^^ check this.. When I was running the same set up, I was rushed 1 day during set up and I reversed 2 of the 3 cables that run it in parallel.. was not running AC, just everything else, the MAIN genny ran out of fuel while the 2nd was still almost full....All the draw was on 1

I've not managed to do that yet, but always wondered what would happen if you crossed the red and black wires.

Chris, Barb, two girls, a Yellow Lab and a Sammoyed
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4
B&W Turnover Ball w/Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2019 Grand Design Reflection 31MB
2007 Crownline 252 EX
Kayaks, Quads, Bikes and anything else we can drag along!

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edekgb wrote:

How come my 4400 watt honda generator (2200 companion and 2000 in tandem) wont power my 1350 btu air cibsitioner? I am at 5280 ft (Denver).

Why even bother? Sell the 2K genset, equip your A/C with a Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit and your EU2200i alone will easily start your A/C in high ambient temps and at higher elevations.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4200 is surge value
run is 1600 and maybe 1760 with eco switch off

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbwallace wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

cbwallace wrote:

I've not managed to do that yet, but always wondered what would happen if you crossed the red and black wires.

yup... It was a cluster that day, but I succeeded in doing that ! Then I pounded in my head - - Red = R = Right.....

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Do the generators have their "ECO" mode turned OFF? We ran a 13.5 A/C for a weekend using an EU2000 without any problems, but the ECO mode had to be off... which meant it was not quiet.

Yes, we were at sea level, but with the amount of power you are using you should be able to run A/C.

before I installed the micro air easy start, my paralled honda's had to be off the eco mode even when in parallel to start the AC if we were much above sea level or it was quite hot. One generator if lucky would start the AC at sea level if not in eco mode. once started I could go back to eco mode, but then if the AC shut off I had to remember to go back off eco before the AC decided to come back on again.

This was even at sea level, worse at 5,000ft or so.

with the micro air, one honda 2000 in eco mode easily starts the AC even at 6000ft or so, but will soon overload. the honda 2200 is fine for long term starting and running the AC at 7000 ft in eco mode.

* This post was edited 08/14/19 04:39pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Two honda generators in tandem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS