|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Two honda generators in tandem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

easy start will be your friend.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

4200 is surge value
run is 1600 and maybe 1760 with eco switch off

2200 is 1800W continous 2000 is 1600 continous. Issue isn't the running current it's the darn 50+ A locked rotor draw.

So a 2200 in parallel with a 2000 is 3400W continous,more than enough to keep the AC and other stuff running. It's GETTING it running that's the tough one.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

4200 is surge value
run is 1600 and maybe 1760 with eco switch off

2200 is 1800W continous 2000 is 1600 continous. Issue isn't the running current it's the darn 50+ A locked rotor draw.

So a 2200 in parallel with a 2000 is 3400W continous,more than enough to keep the AC and other stuff running. It's GETTING it running that's the tough one.
My 2000 watt Hondas have ran my 15K @9000' in AZ with no problem. I do make sure that the WH and Fridge are not on AC.
If those two happen to come on at the same time as the AC.... That would be a problem.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check this out before you go and pay 300.00 for a micro-air I have one and it works fine. seller name is applianceandair on eBay
Jay D.

edekgb

denver

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea my first generator - the 2000 watt honda i bought a year ago falls in the serial number series. Something seems wrong although - the 16 to 25 percent loss from altitude is significant.
I was also thinking the cord from one to the other generator could be faulty? The cord from my trailer to generator is fine or at least very unlikely the problem.
Both generators the eu2000i and 2200i companion are both new with less then 10 hours on them.
The trailer is new and the ac seems to work fine. The generators bog down and then hits overload after about 3 to 5 mins after i turn on ac. It may be the generator that the trailer is plugged in to (the companion) that is the only one overloading. I was just thinking about this and will have to watch to see if one or both overload.

edekgb

denver

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all - honda dealer that sold me the companion honda couple months ago said to bring them both in, the trailor - basically the whole set up to their parking lot to see whats wrong. They feel confident that it should run the ac. Problem is that hooking up the trailor to go all the way over to honda is far and a hassle. Any ideas are much appreciated. All other things are turned off when i try to power up ac. Except i dont mess with any breakers or fuses to turn off battery draw. I have a battery cut off switch should i mess with that on or off?
One more thing to mention. It is hot around here lately when i try to turn it on. Like in the 90s so i turn on ac on low setting and try to start at like 80 and then every 15 mins 78 degs then 76 after 15 and so on trying to get it to about 72 or something comfortable - it will go ok like this for a while but then somewhere during the process of bringing it down in temp, generator bogs and overloads. Other times it just bogs and turns off within the first few mins. Should i have to start in the morning before it warms up and little by little bring temp down as the day progresses? This dosent seem practical as i would have to have gens running all day in the summer.
These problems are here at my house in the city. I like to go camping alot at higher elevations even up to 8000 and 9000 feet.

edekgb

denver

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you JD - i wouldnt know the first thing about hooking up an aplianceair or micro-air. I cant even get on to roof of trailor. Shouldnt 4200 watts be plenty? But altitude might be the point of all this? What size gen do i really need in colorado? 5000, 6000, 7000 watts for a little a.c. or is something just wrong - frustrated cuz i have 2200 dollars invested in gens and still not working.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once the A/C is running you should be able to move the thermostat right down to where you want it. The unit works no harder by moving the thermostat.

Seems odd that it would quit once you get it running. How old it this RV?

The freeze sensor could be causing the compressor to cycle and maybe restart too soon.

Since you have it running it would help to get an amp reading to determine if the compressor motor is failing.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

You have one what? Please do provide a link.

badsix wrote:

check this out before you go and pay 300.00 for a micro-air I have one and it works fine. seller name is applianceandair on eBay
Jay D.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

edekgb

denver

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the trailor new 2 mos. Ago. AC seems to be working fine pluged in to electric hook ups at camp whenbi do camp at hook up station. It could be faulty new ac cuz i only tried it once hooked to full hook ups.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Two honda generators in tandem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS