|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electricity? Never touch the stuff

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

Tell him it is a standard 14-50R 125/250 volt receptacle.
I know what I am talking about.

If the electrical concept is daunting, ignore everything except the above quote from Chris.

Don't worry about having 110-220volts or 120-240volts or 125-250volts, these are all interchangeable linguistically. Hopefully anyone who works in the field knows that if you say 110 volts it's really 120 volts.

If you spec a 14-50R 125/250 volt receptacle and the electrician mis-wires it or if he installs something else, he is responsible and hopefully has E&O insurance. This is why you hire licensed professional people to do work you don't want to do or do not know how to do.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 50A RV plug is a standard and common household 14-50R plug often used for a stove top or oven. The circuit is 120/240V 4 wire 3 pole 60 Hz 50A.

Yes you have 240V into the RV CB panel. Very very few RVs actually have 240V appliances however.

If the plug will be outside then you need a suitable weather enclosure. Also include a 50A dual CB unless it's close to the house CB panel. This is all very common household wiring and should not be any problems for an electrician.

I recommend you also buy a 50/30 and 30/20 adapters and the common 3 light household tester and a plug in voltmeter. Test every plug before using as they can fail or be miswired. The tester will assure that 3 of the 4 wires on a 50A plug are correct which is a good test. More robust 50A testers are available.

The 30A RV plug is however very unique to RVs and it's to often wired for 240V instead of 120V since it's very similar to the common 3 wire 240V dryer circuit. 240V lets the RV smoke out.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kinda hard for an 'electrician' to screw up a 50A RV install

Now 30A..........
Need to watch them like a hawk cause that can be 120V OR 240V

[image]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12th Man Fan wrote:

Before you have this done make sure the electrician knows what you need. It is not a normal 220V circut it is two 110V.

There have been several posts with pictures on this issue. If you install the wrong one it can cause severe damage to you rig.

Cough, cough. Literally EVERY 4 wire 240v circuit is made up of two 120v circuits. You only get 240v if you use both hot wires instead of a hot and the neutral.

You are obviously thinking of a 3 wire dryer outlet. That has two hot wires and a ground wire, but no neutral. That is what destroys many 30 amp RV's. An electrician sees the big 30 amp outlet and assumes it is a 240v dryer outlet.

If there are 4 wires to the outlet, you are good.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 amp RV service is kind of like a 50 amp Kitchen stove. The only "Tricky" part is I'd make sure the NEUTRAL is the same gauge as the HOTS. But the odds are if you hand him the outlet. He will install it correctly

NOT SO for 30 amp outlets but 50's they do right.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A question to the forum respondents...

Is not this receptacle and plug the same as for a stick and brick set up for an electric range that demands 120 vac for stove stuff like lights, fans, clock timers?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

A question to the forum respondents...

Is not this receptacle and plug the same as for a stick and brick set up for an electric range that demands 120 vac for stove stuff like lights, fans, clock timers?
Yes exactly the same NEMA 14-50R. Same as you find at the campground, same as you find behind the cabinet to plug in the oven at home. Only one way to wire and connect power to meet code. Very common, nothing special.

Unbelievable amount of confusion on RV.net

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Unbelievable amount of confusion on RV.net
Actually all things electrical generate a lot of confusion on rv.net. IMHO electrical is the most confused and least understood subject of all on rv.net.

And it's the same identical circuit as a 50A hardwired stove that doesn't have a plug.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two questions,
1. I've heard of some wiring the same 120V phase to both sides. Wouldn't this drive twice as much current through neutral line?
2. Other than the problem of hooking to a single phase circuit, why wouldn't the AC units be 2 phase? Wouldn't that be much more energy efficient?

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Two questions,
1. I've heard of some wiring the same 120V phase to both sides. Wouldn't this drive twice as much current through neutral line?
2. Other than the problem of hooking to a single phase circuit, why wouldn't the AC units be 2 phase? Wouldn't that be much more energy efficient?

What is being discussed(?) here is called split phase. The return path on the neutral line carries an inverted sine wave from L1 & L2. When L1 & L2 carry a balanced load, there is no current flow on the neutral path.
Maybe you can follow this.

Richard

* This post was edited 08/14/19 05:58pm by RLS7201 *

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electricity? Never touch the stuff
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS