|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Real towing advise please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scubydg wrote:

So we had the trailer loaded the same way for both the tacoma and the tundra. And there was considerable difference in sway..Could I have too much weight loaded forward and that cause sway?

Sway is caused by a lack of tongue weight, not to much. If your tow vehicle is overloaded on the back axle it will cause your steering to become to light, but not cause trailer sway. I pull a 450lb utility trailer thats all over the road if I don't add tongue weight. My TT is 7,800lbs loaded and tows fine behind my Tundra. I did switch switch out the P rated tires with E rated LT tires though.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max towing weight is secondary to TV payload. Focus first on payload.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hondavalk wrote:

Scubydg wrote:

So we had the trailer loaded the same way for both the tacoma and the tundra. And there was considerable difference in sway..Could I have too much weight loaded forward and that cause sway?

Sway is caused by a lack of tongue weight, not to much. If your tow vehicle is overloaded on the back axle it will cause your steering to become to light, but not cause trailer sway. I pull a 450lb utility trailer thats all over the road if I don't add tongue weight. My TT is 7,800lbs loaded and tows fine behind my Tundra. I did switch switch out the P rated tires with E rated LT tires though.

Actually a light steering axle will "feel" like sway, and have the same consequences. The trailer will wag back and forth. That is what a WDH does. It returns lost weight to the steering, axle, which returns control to the driver.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd first make sure your truck has enough payload and can comfortably pull the GVWR of trailer.
Worst case is you trade in the Toyota which holds great resale value for a more formidable HD truck.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scubydg wrote:

the "sway" may not have been the trailer wagging, but improper WD hitch setup. To little weight transfer to the front of the TV, front of TV rises, camber is affected and the front of the TV wanders all over the place. I've had two friends who with smaller TV complained about sway and when we went over the setup, what I described was exactly the problem. Very little weight transfer, fair amount of tongue weight way to much front end rise resulting it to light a front end and lots of camber on the front. Once adjusted properly with minimal front end rise, they were flat out amazed and the difference. Very very stable setup.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DutchmenSport

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get a one-ton dualy diesel and you'll never have to buy another tow vehicle again, for ANY trailer.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Tacoma and wouldn't tow more than about 6,500 and probably less if it was a travel trailer with it. It's just not a heavy enough truck to control all that weigh behind it.

Did your have passenger car rated tires on it?

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Just get a one-ton dualy diesel and you'll never have to buy another tow vehicle again, for ANY trailer.

Really? ANY TRAILER. Even a 48' 45,000lb trailer, with hanging meat?

Yes I know it is a exaggeration. Meant to be. And I know you didn't really mean to say a 1 ton truck could handle it. I just couldn't help my self. [emoticon]

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember, a Toyota pulled the Space Shuttle! Not up or down hills or around corners. Are the truck tires up to the task?
A couple years ago, we watched a 1/2 ton Ford pulling a verrry long travel trailer that wasn't set up properly----very scary.
Have a great trip..

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My F-150 has max cargo of 1411 lbs. Some have more depending on the vehicle options.

Our gear and family weight come to 700 lbs. That leave 700 lbs or so for tongue weight.

My TT loaded for the road is about 6000 lbs with 700 lbs on the tongue (13%).

For me, a heavier TT would be too much tongue weight for the vehicle or too little a percentage of the TT weight on the tongue.

It is all in the math and how you judge your rigs handling.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Real towing advise please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS