|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Difficulty getting the tow ball to release from hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Skipg

Yuma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This problem just started on our old TT and on our new TT as well. When lifting the trailer to release the ball from the hitch it does not come off easily. The ball stays in the hitch until the weight of the truck being lifted pops the ball out causing the trailer to jump and move. Sometimes I even have to jump on the back truck pumper to release the ball also resulting in the trailer to jump. Any help or suggestions in solving this dangerous unhitching problem will be appreciated. Thanks

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently Discussed HERE

Should be helpful for you.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't bother checking the link that thomasmnile posted check these steps in order..

1 Chalk the trailer wheels (both sides and one chalk in front and one chalk behind).

2 Release and remove WD bars

3 Release hitch lock

4 Drop tongue jack and start lifting the tongue.

5 Depending on slope you may need to backup slightly or pull forward slightly to allow the hitch ball to center in the hitch.

6 once the ball is no longer touching the front or back of hitch you should now be able to continue raising the tongue and the ball will drop out of the hitch with ease.

7 Pull vehicle forward then lower hitch until level.

Following the steps above, I rarely ever have any issues getting the ball out of the hitch..

The trick is to relieve any binding that may be happening and the only way that is possible is to allow some slack between the ball and hitch.

If that fails, then try lifting the tongue ever so slightly, only enough to take the tongue weight off the vehicle..

Then pull out the hitch pin from the receiver, if you cannot pull the hitch pin out, you ARE binding the ball in the tongue (making darn sure the chalks are in place, WD disconnected and the hitch ball lock has been unlocked).

IF you cannot pull out the hitch pin you need to allow the vehicle to move slightly forward or reverse.

Once you have some slack then pull the vehicle forward enough to allow the hitch to pull out of the receiver.. I would bet the moment the hitch falls out of the receiver it WILL hit the ground all by its' self..

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 60 years ago I discovered some magic stuff that greatly reduces the binding on metal to metal contacts of all kinds. That would be the first thing I would try.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delete

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds about normal to me.

Do you use any greases on your hitch?

Skipg

Yuma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you leave the ball attached to the trailer instead of unlocking it from the hitch?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you could leave the ball connected to the trailer if you release the weight distribution first. The hard part though might be trying to put the stinger back in the receiver tube of the tow vehicle when you're ready to go home.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Skipg

Yuma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At a camp ground I always store the ball on the trailer hitch with a lock when I leave I just release the hitch lock and the ball falls right out and then I put it on the truck

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OT a little but I'm using a Blue Ox WDH. The ball sits vertical because the spring bar angle is cast into the head. Very few issues with releasing. I'm thinking that the vertical ball puts less pressure on that flapper thing in the coupler.
BTDT with an EQ and an EAZ-Lift.

Used to have issue fairly often with tilted head units. Usually just putting the truck in D and easing forward released everything.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Difficulty getting the tow ball to release from hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS