RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Difficulty getting the tow ball to release from hitch

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Difficulty getting the tow ball to release from hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
am1958

SE Michigan

Full Member

Joined: 04/10/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

1 Chalk the trailer wheels (both sides and one chalk in front and one chalk behind).


I hate to be the one that does this but I see it so often...

It's a CHOCK not a CHALK...

Chalk is for scribbling on things like blackboards and driveways... A Chalk is also a group of men about to jump from an aircraft or land in a glider, (yes, I'm that old and I did the former many times).

A Chock is a, generally, triangular piece of a firm to hard substance placed in front, in between or behind - or any combination of the three - the wheels that prevents a wheeled vehicle or, in my case, aircraft from rolling away...

Yes, I'm an old curmudgeon.... Drop into my campsite sometime and we'll drain a few... ;-)

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 08/14/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

1 Chalk the trailer wheels (both sides and one chalk in front and one chalk behind).


I hate to be the one that does this but I see it so often...

It's a CHOCK not a CHALK...

Chalk is for scribbling on things like blackboards and driveways... A Chalk is also a group of men about to jump from an aircraft or land in a glider, (yes, I'm that old and I did the former many times).

A Chock is a, generally, triangular piece of a firm to hard substance placed in front, in between or behind - or any combination of the three - the wheels that prevents a wheeled vehicle or, in my case, aircraft from rolling away...

Yes, I'm an old curmudgeon.... Drop into my campsite sometime and we'll drain a few... ;-)


[emoticon]

Oh my gudness, it is the Intern net Spull chuck sundrom...

Get a life..

Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

[emoticon]

Oh my gudness, it is the Intern net Spull chuck sundrom...

Get a life..

My wife once got an email from her medical director (an MD) with a couple of misspelled words. In her response, she corrected his spelling. Her next email from him, a couple of days later, had EVERY WORD misspelled. She said it probably took him an hour to compose.


Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

Senior Member

Joined: 10/13/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

[emoticon]

Oh my gudness, it is the Intern net Spull chuck sundrom...

Get a life..

My wife once got an email from her medical director (an MD) with a couple of misspelled words. In her response, she corrected his spelling. Her next email from him, a couple of days later, had EVERY WORD misspelled. She said it probably took him an hour to compose.

Whut?


There is something special about camping in an RV.
.


Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/10/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this problem way back when and forget how I solved it BUT could it be the angle of the ball?


Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

noteven

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 08/15/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

am1958 wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

1 Chalk the trailer wheels (both sides and one chalk in front and one chalk behind).


I hate to be the one that does this but I see it so often...

It's a CHOCK not a CHALK...

Chalk is for scribbling on things like blackboards and driveways... A Chalk is also a group of men about to jump from an aircraft or land in a glider, (yes, I'm that old and I did the former many times).

A Chock is a, generally, triangular piece of a firm to hard substance placed in front, in between or behind - or any combination of the three - the wheels that prevents a wheeled vehicle or, in my case, aircraft from rolling away...

Yes, I'm an old curmudgeon.... Drop into my campsite sometime and we'll drain a few... ;-)


[emoticon]

Oh my gudness, it is the Intern net Spull chuck sundrom...

Get a life..


give the guy a brake sundrom’s arnt sindrums

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/15/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One I see frequently on the craigslist is various spellings of pindel, pendel etc hitch vs the proper spelling pintel hitch.

noteven

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 08/15/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

caver wrote:

One I see frequently on the craigslist is various spellings of pindel, pendel etc hitch vs the proper spelling pintel hitch.


Or is it a “pintle hook” ?

Anyhoo it’s the Best one ever - back in, smash into the trailer, wind the jack down, close the hook, pin it,done.

Wish all heavy trailers had them..,

campermama

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spray a little WD40 on the ball when hitching up, never had a problem disconnecting.


2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2016 2604ws Rockwood
1993 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 lifted IL6 4.0 5 speed

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

caver wrote:

One I see frequently on the craigslist is various spellings of pindel, pendel etc hitch vs the proper spelling pintel hitch.


Or is it a “pintle hook” ?

Anyhoo it’s the Best one ever - back in, smash into the trailer, wind the jack down, close the hook, pin it,done.

Wish all heavy trailers had them..,


Would it work with WDH? Or sway control?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Difficulty getting the tow ball to release from hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS