|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Good hitch for SB Ram/Momentum combo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not getting much response to this question on the ram/GD forums so I figured I would try here.

I currently have a 2016 Ram Megacab with no hitch system in the bed. When I ordered it , I said I would never need a 5th wheel......Well, here we are with a 320G on order.

During my research, it appears the happiest folks are those with a gooseball and goosebox on the trailer.

My biggest concern is not having decent clearance with the 320G, even if I use the 4" offset ball. Does anyone have this setup with a 320g/350g? It appears most of the toy haulers have a similar cap though so maybe any momentum would be the same?

Looks like my other option is to get something like a B&W Companion slider hitch. It still mounts to a gooseball so I think I am pretty safe at least putting the gooseball in. Except I don't get an airbag on the hitch like the goosebox unless I change the king pin....It's an extra $1000 and more BS to deal with, heavier hitch, but I know it will have enough clearance then. The 320G is pretty short @ 36'. My Bumper pull is 34' and I never had much issue getting into any site we had...but we do plan on going to new areas with the bigger camper. Is the need for 90 degree clearance that overrated? Will a gooseball and goosebox get me close?

Option 1
B&W Turnover- $480
4" offset ball- $180
Goosebox- $1400
Total: $2,060

Option 2
B&W Turnover- $480
B&W Companion slider- $1500
Trailair air-bag King pin- $1100
Total: $3,080

I read all the posts that go back and forth on best options, but not too many have the SB Ram and a Momentum. My ideal setup is option 1 since it's cheaper and much cleaner. However, if I am going to have a hell of a time with the SB, then I rather bite the bullet on the slider.

The momentum looks like the cap is cut pretty good for SB trucks, so I would like think I should be pretty safe...unfortunately that's a lot of coin to drop to find out I was wrong and the 2 options are not compatible.

[image]
Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

* This post was edited 08/16/19 07:17am by an administrator/moderator *

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The B&W slider will only help hooking up and maneuvering, you can't tow with it back 12", and the tow position is 1" behind the ball.

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what I thought the B&W was an auto slider....

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A gooseneck adapter is a good way to bend the frame on a 5th wheel. Get yourself an auto sliding 5th wheel and do it right. I use a Pullrite but there are at least three different decent sliding 5th wheels out there.

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at the goose box, which is not an adapter, but a whole replacement for the king pin.

https://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/goose-box/gooseneck-rv-coupler/Jsbr87GrqXnapVUQgaaYyvax6qakN26Y

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice looking trailer. I've seen a Montana high Country with a similar nose design bust out a window on a standard bed RAM. He got into a situation with a tight back-up angle combined with a driveway dip. The high portion of the nose cap that juts out leaned forward, then took out his window and dented his cab. Driver admitted he was flustered at the time and lost his focus. I worry that a Goosebox with a low joint will cause the trailer to lean forward even more in a rough terrain situation.

I would go with an auto slider. Peace of mind.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd have =real= issues towing 4" behind the axle, even if you have a 3500. At GVW, you could easily have 4k on the axle, and now you want to move that load 4" further back. As much as I'm a B&W fan, I'd opt for an autosliding hitch. You =can= install a puck system aftermarket. Not sure if any of the autosliders have capability to use a GN base. I just don't know since it's never interested me and I've never researched it.

Lyle

* This post was edited 08/16/19 10:31am by laknox *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I'd have =real= issues towing 4" behind the axle, even if you have a 3500. At GVW, you could easily have 4k on the axle, and now you want to move that load 4" further back. As much as I'm a B&W fan, I'd opt for an autosliding hitch. You =can= install an puck system aftermarket. Not sure if any of the autosliders have capability to use a GN base. I just don't know since it's never interested me and I've never researched it.

Lyle

My understanding is that the weight is still on the gooseball location over the axle. The pivot point/ball is moved back 4". Therefore, the weight has not moved on the truck, but the pivot point is further back. I am not an engineer but it makes sens to me? The point contacting the truck has not changed.

[image]

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Her goes, (little bit shy about posting this kind of stuff on here)

I pull with the same truck (2018 Ram SB). I am not a fan of the conversions because they weren't designed to be a goose neck (frame engineering is designed different on a goose neck than a 5 th wheel) and the adapters I have seen fail in a crash.

So, when I bought my new truck, I already had a Superglide 2700. I had the puck system installed in the ram and at the time, they did not have a comparable puck mounted slider. So, I installed an adapter puck frame on the Ram and put the 2700 in the bed. Still works great with no issues now for over a year. Superglide is making the 2315 now with a price tag of about 2k. It is a bit overkill since it is a 24k hitch but better to have too much than too little to late. I talked to Pullrite about a light puck hitch and they said that is all they have right now.

As far as the gooseneck and turnover ball thing goes, I can’t really see why one would do it. I’m looking at it like an engineering thing (meaning these 5ers are not meant to be a goose neck otherwise the manufacturers would respond with the option in the main stream) and the ride quality and handling on the road is a Ford vs Chevy thing. My truck is equipped with OE air ride system on the 3500 series and rides like a big rig when loaded down with my Bighorn. When I’m not pulling, I drop air in the tires and it rides like a truck but is less bone jarring than when aired up. As far as chucking and popping goes, it creaks and pops a bit but who cares. The auto slide is there if I need it and so I never worry about hitting the cab. A co worker had a SB and manual B&W and of course, he didn’t use the slide and hit the cab (2017 Ram).

Good luck with whatever you do. FWIW, I’d stick with the way this rig was designed and stay with the 5th wheel and auto slider.

Happy Campin’

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyBell wrote:

laknox wrote:

I'd have =real= issues towing 4" behind the axle, even if you have a 3500. At GVW, you could easily have 4k on the axle, and now you want to move that load 4" further back. As much as I'm a B&W fan, I'd opt for an autosliding hitch. You =can= install an puck system aftermarket. Not sure if any of the autosliders have capability to use a GN base. I just don't know since it's never interested me and I've never researched it.

Lyle

My understanding is that the weight is still on the gooseball location over the axle. The pivot point/ball is moved back 4". Therefore, the weight has not moved on the truck, but the pivot point is further back. I am not an engineer but it makes sens to me? The point contacting the truck has not changed.

[image]

You're still putting torque into the mount, which has the effect of lightening the front and weighing down the rear. Yeah, it's only 4", but there's nearly 2 TONS of weight on that 4" "lever". I still think that adding a puck mount and an auto-slider would be the better way to go.

Lyle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Good hitch for SB Ram/Momentum combo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS