|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Good hitch for SB Ram/Momentum combo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyBell wrote:

I am looking at the goose box, which is not an adapter, but a whole replacement for the king pin.

https://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/goose-box/gooseneck-rv-coupler/Jsbr87GrqXnapVUQgaaYyvax6qakN26Y

The frame of the fiver is still not built for it and there have been many stories here of damage being done. If you do a little research on the interweb, you can see how different the frames are.
The risk woudn't be worth it to me.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

RoyBell wrote:

I am looking at the goose box, which is not an adapter, but a whole replacement for the king pin.

https://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/goose-box/gooseneck-rv-coupler/Jsbr87GrqXnapVUQgaaYyvax6qakN26Y

The frame of the fiver is still not built for it and there have been many stories here of damage being done. If you do a little research on the interweb, you can see how different the frames are.
The risk woudn't be worth it to me.

Actually I have done my research. I have yet to find a single instance where using the Goosebox has damaged a frame of a fiver under normal towing circumstance, ie: not hitting bad road/holes/etc that cause other damage. In fact, since Lippert does not void the frame warranty while using the Goosebox, it says quite a bit about the product. Please show me where 5er frames are blowing apart while using the Reese Goosebox under normal towing.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyBell wrote:

laknox wrote:

I'd have =real= issues towing 4" behind the axle, even if you have a 3500. At GVW, you could easily have 4k on the axle, and now you want to move that load 4" further back. As much as I'm a B&W fan, I'd opt for an autosliding hitch. You =can= install an puck system aftermarket. Not sure if any of the autosliders have capability to use a GN base. I just don't know since it's never interested me and I've never researched it.

Lyle

My understanding is that the weight is still on the gooseball location over the axle. The pivot point/ball is moved back 4". Therefore, the weight has not moved on the truck, but the pivot point is further back. I am not an engineer but it makes sens to me? The point contacting the truck has not changed.

[image]

Visualize the adapter has a 40" offset instead of 4". Pretty plain that the offset affects the truck's geometry even though it is hooked to the truck in the same place. The adapter moves all the pin weight 4" aft of the axle.

PhilipB

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Ram Short bed. My toy hauler has the radius sides similar to yours. I hit my truck but was lucky enough to just ding the cab and not break the glass. Had fixed mount hitch.

You can get an auto slider for same money you're looking to spend. I got the Demco, but there are others.

2015 Ram 2500
2013 Raptor 310TS

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyBell wrote:

laknox wrote:

I'd have =real= issues towing 4" behind the axle, even if you have a 3500. At GVW, you could easily have 4k on the axle, and now you want to move that load 4" further back. As much as I'm a B&W fan, I'd opt for an autosliding hitch. You =can= install an puck system aftermarket. Not sure if any of the autosliders have capability to use a GN base. I just don't know since it's never interested me and I've never researched it.

Lyle

My understanding is that the weight is still on the gooseball location over the axle. The pivot point/ball is moved back 4". Therefore, the weight has not moved on the truck, but the pivot point is further back. I am not an engineer but it makes sens to me? The point contacting the truck has not changed.

[image]

You need to retake high school physics. The weight is applied to where the ball is located, as it becomes part of the TV chassis.

I installed the OEM pucks myself. B&W now makes a great manual slider that mates to the pucks. You well not hit the cab going forward in the tow position. When spotting the trailer slide it back.

* This post was edited 08/16/19 06:46pm by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with Roy on this one. I never took any physics class, just use my logic (or lack of ;-) with that 4" offset the weight I believe is where the gooseneck mount is and not where the ball is. Now in the case of say an Anderson ultimate where its distributed to essentially four corners then yes the weight is 4 inches back but not in the case offset gooseneck. The only thing that would be different is your torquing or twisting the gooseneck mount but not moving the weight back.

Edit: Didn't think this one all the way through. The twisting force that the offset is providing is in effect lifting wieght off the front and placing it rearward. My bad, I'm a little slow lol

Dan

* This post was last edited 09/08/19 07:44am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with your FW dealer. I was told that any and all of the frame warranty was null and void if I used a gooseneck adapter/hitch. Just saying to cover your bases.

magic43

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert builds the frames, and has stated in writing that they approve the Reese Goosebox pinbox.
I would get the auto slider, even though hitching is a little narrow to align the hitch.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sell truck, buy longbed, install B&W Standard hitch....,Problem Solved!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't have to get the air bag pin box. If your truck is set up well it should tow well without that.

You can install the MOPAR 5th Wheel Prep package. I installed it in my '14 Ram 2500 and it was pretty straight forward. I also got the in-bed 5th wheel wiring harness.

Next, get the B&W sliding Companion hitch.

$232 -- Ram 5th Wheel Prep
$80 -- In-Bed wiring harness
$1625 - B&W Companion
------------
$1,935

This will be a nice clean setup for little less than your Goosebox option.

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Good hitch for SB Ram/Momentum combo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS