|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Good hitch for SB Ram/Momentum combo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I ended up putting the gooseball in.

[image]

Also put air bags on.

[image]

Only thing I haven't figured out yet is if I am going with Goosebox or Anderson.

I go back and forth. I think I should be ok with the Goosebox, but I didn't realize how much bed space is not usable with the hitch swinging around.

I can't use an auto slider or sidewinder with the gooseball so those are out of the question currently.

Everyone says the Anderson ultimate will destroy your frame, however I haven't found much evidence supporting this.

And for the offset ball, I did the calculation on another forum and it comes out to roughly 80 lbs off the front axle with 4" offset. That's not much.

I would get a new truck, but I am not going to buy a first year Ram. I have at least another year with my current truck.

4 more weeks to decide what to do...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

You don't have to get the air bag pin box. If your truck is set up well it should tow well without that.

You can install the MOPAR 5th Wheel Prep package. I installed it in my '14 Ram 2500 and it was pretty straight forward. I also got the in-bed 5th wheel wiring harness.

Next, get the B&W sliding Companion hitch.

$232 -- Ram 5th Wheel Prep
$80 -- In-Bed wiring harness
$1625 - B&W Companion
------------
$1,935

This will be a nice clean setup for little less than your Goosebox option.

KJ

Great suggestions! I still say LONGBOX. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Everyone says the Anderson ultimate will destroy your frame, however I haven't found much evidence supporting this."

Not true, what the ANDERSEN can damage is your bed with it's fore and aft movement. Base is supported by the top ribs of the thin bed sheet metal.

On your air bags and rear tires be sure to NOT overinflate!! Bags air to 30psi loaded to start, you want the truck to set level not AZZ high!!!

Rear tires add 5psi to that your load dictates on the weight/inflation chart for your tires.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyBell wrote:

Well I ended up putting the gooseball in.

[image]

Also put air bags on.

[image]

Only thing I haven't figured out yet is if I am going with Goosebox or Anderson.

I go back and forth. I think I should be ok with the Goosebox, but I didn't realize how much bed space is not usable with the hitch swinging around.

I can't use an auto slider or sidewinder with the gooseball so those are out of the question currently.

Everyone says the Anderson ultimate will destroy your frame, however I haven't found much evidence supporting this.

And for the offset ball, I did the calculation on another forum and it comes out to roughly 80 lbs off the front axle with 4" offset. That's not much.

I would get a new truck, but I am not going to buy a first year Ram. I have at least another year with my current truck.

4 more weeks to decide what to do...

As some have suggested , the fifth wheel prep , picture frame adapter ,and then go instead of that heavy noisy B&W slider ,go the Andersen hitch , the steel version that mounts to the bed rails. You would be money ahead as well. And with a new truck with the fifth wheel prep you would be good to go .

The steel version of the Andersen can be mounted either direction you want, although with your Ram short bed same truck as mine, I mounted it in the rear position, it tows great, no difference then the Reese 18K slider that I also have with this same truck ,and fifth wheel.

Andersen Ultimate aluminum is also a great hitch , many of them being used. Its unfortunate ,and its usually just the one individual that bashes the Andersen on here . Its rare, but shimming the valleys of the bed will prevent any bending of the sheet metal, which as said is rare. B&W has had the same problem, and shims were added at four points to prevent any flexing of the bed sheet metal from fore ,and aft movement .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Good hitch for SB Ram/Momentum combo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS