RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Hope you travel alone?!!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Hope you travel alone?!!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
AlmostAnOldGuy

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20 years back I had an F150 with the 4.6, tall gears and low payload. Worked great to haul a small popup and my family all over the place. It was the right tool for the job then. Lots of good memories- Banff, Jasper, Waterton, Glacier, Yellowstone, Crater Lake, Redwoods, etc.

Take it easy,
Stu

2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

All options? Doubt this is for towing. Max load is probably a new BBQ from Lowes.

Yes ordered it with everything available! Including 3.92 axle and the split tailgate along with the ram box. And I was wrong, it's not the quad cab but the mega cab. I'm sure this is just to drive to the golf course.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

From a legal stand point, what is stopping him from loading it past the tire load sticker? Especially if he replaced those stock tires and wheels with a higher higher load rating and 32 psi max pressure. That is sticker is only for the stock tires and is useless if he changes them.

What is stopping him? The full weight of legal authority of the weight police on RV.net, that's what!!!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that's rate about half of my f150. I like my tuck. sure I would have liked a 3/4 ton diesel but my wife and wallet both teamed up on me and said no. I love my truck. Took me about 5 seconds when I started research to settle on ford

IMO
Ford > Gm > Ram

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

From a legal stand point, what is stopping him from loading it past the tire load sticker? Especially if he replaced those stock tires and wheels with a higher higher load rating and 32 psi max pressure. That is sticker is only for the stock tires and is useless if he changes them.

What is stopping him? The full weight of legal authority of the weight police on RV.net, that's what!!!

Ha, the tires already most likely are 44psi Max tires.
What's really ironic is that Ram sticker says 32psi and the idiot light doesn't go off until under 25psi. The 2500s that, per the sticker, can't get more than about 5klbs total load on the rear axle before busting out of the sticker number have 80 psi tires and a 70psi idiot light and only need maybe 50psi at sticker load.
It's easy to see who blindly follows "official" reccomendations through life and probably doesn't deal with the beauracrcy of government "rules" or more accurately official "opinions" regularly. If they did, they would understand that just because it's a "rule" doesn't always mean there's substance to back it up....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

time2roll wrote:

All options? Doubt this is for towing. Max load is probably a new BBQ from Lowes.

Yes ordered it with everything available! Including 3.92 axle and the split tailgate along with the ram box. And I was wrong, it's not the quad cab but the mega cab. I'm sure this is just to drive to the golf course.

5.7hemi, 8hp70 and 3.92s? That truck is a rocket with a pickup bed!
Never seen a newer mega cab 1500 though. You mean crew cab?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:

20 years back I had an F150 with the 4.6, tall gears and low payload. Worked great to haul a small popup and my family all over the place. It was the right tool for the job then. Lots of good memories- Banff, Jasper, Waterton, Glacier, Yellowstone, Crater Lake, Redwoods, etc.

Take it easy,
Stu

Exactly. That's what a brick to use on the gas pedal for when your leg gets sore from mashing it into the floor board and a set of helper springs are for!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

time2roll wrote:

5.7hemi, 8hp70 and 3.92s? That truck is a rocket with a pickup bed!
Never seen a newer mega cab 1500 though. You mean crew cab?

Ya I’m not 100% sure, but it looked like a mega cab with all the room in the back and the larger C pillar. It also has E torque.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5th gens have a bigger back seat than 4th gen crew cabs, but not a mega. Still only available in HD trucks with the 4th gen sheet metal still.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

5th gens have a bigger back seat than 4th gen crew cabs, but not a mega. Still only available in HD trucks with the 4th gen sheet metal still.

Ya I’m still getting familiar with the body style/cab configurations. I’ve been gone from mopar for 9 years. Either way it’s pathetic a minivan has more CCC!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Hope you travel alone?!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.