|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Those with auto leveling systems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

Our new Jayco has the auto leveling system. So far we have used it twice and both sites we were off level side to side not over 2" and I did block the low side.Not sure if I even need to less the 2". So how far off level side to side before you start blocking?

Personally, I put at least 4" under my rear jacks due to the fact that they just don't have a lot of travel. On the street in front of my house, there's enough crown in it that the RR jack runs out of stroke by about an inch. Adding that 4", on both sides, gives me plenty of assurance that, on all but the most unlevel site, I'll have enough stroke on the rear jacks.

On the front, I =always= put at least one lego block down (don't need them for the wheels, so why not?) as a pad. I do carry plenty of blocks with me, just in case. I normally power down the front jacks a fair ways before dropping the extensions. I drop the extensions to the ground, then pull them up until the pin snaps into place. After that, I jack up, unhitch, then hit the Autolevel button. Once it's done, I raise the front just a bit, tighten the JT Strongarms, then drop the front back to level.

Last time we went out, though, we were boondocking in the forest and, after a bit of rain, noticed that the rig was wiggling a bit on the last night. Didn't really pay much attention, but when I was packing up, I noticed how much we'd settled, close to an inch, and it =did= make a difference. I'll pay attention to that in the future and simply re-level, if necessary.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12th Man Fan wrote:

Sorry, I missed the point on my first post but if mine will level on autolevel I don't worry about it unless I will be there for a long time then I might consider blocking before I auto level.

There is a guy across from me right now with a four point leveling system and he has all four wheels off the ground a couple of inches and he has been there 3 or 4 weeks. When a neighbor asked him about it he said he had been camping for many years and he knew what he was doing. To each his own I guess but that is a good way to flip the shackles and possibly cause some damage.

One thing I've noticed about the LCI 4 pt system on my KZ is that it tends to almost always level UPWARDS. Perfect example is when I level up in front of my house, on a paved street. Curb side tires are =always= off the ground about 2" and I have to block the RR jack or it runs out of stroke. The street-side tires are on the ground, but they are pretty-well unweighted. Chocks will wedge in TIGHT if I don't pull them out before dropping down to hitch up. I'd =love= to be able to simply drop the entire rig, level, about 1-2".

Lyle

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont have the leveling system but I am sure the next one will. So do you guys put the between tires chocks in? or do you just use chocks on the ground in front and rear of the tires. I was just thinking of my normal routine, chocks between the tires and then in front and read of the tires. Just wondering what happens if the leveling system raises the tires off the ground and what happens when you want to hook back up how you do it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

I dont have the leveling system but I am sure the next one will. So do you guys put the between tires chocks in? or do you just use chocks on the ground in front and rear of the tires. I was just thinking of my normal routine, chocks between the tires and then in front and read of the tires. Just wondering what happens if the leveling system raises the tires off the ground and what happens when you want to hook back up how you do it.

In my experience, I've often had one side off the ground, or very close to it, so chocks would be useless on that side. As I said above, my system wants to level UPWARDS, so even the high side wheels can be somewhat unweighted. I chock my trailer before leveling and, when done, those chocks will be loose on the "high" side. If I kick them in tight, then forget to pull them back before hitching, the trailer locks them in place and I'll either have to re-raise the trailer to get them out or rock it. This is why I put my chocks =between= the wheels, so that I can at least move my trailer in one direction, if needed, to get the chocks out. Again, as I said above, I'd love to have an option to drop the whole rig, level, about 1-2".

Lyle

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just left KOA in Bristol TN. The campground is very unlevel and difficult to maneuver around. Using auto level, the nose jacks retracted all the way before raising about an inch but the trailer was level. I always put a single 2X8 under each foot.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Those with auto leveling systems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS