|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Spare Tire question- doesnt match our new TT tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
melloftus

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,
So I ordered 5 new tires online from Americas Tire ( Discount Tires) Carlisle ST205/75/R14 100M BSB load C - Had them shipped to the store and made an appt for yesterday to have all 5 mounted/balanced and put on our trailer before our trip next weekend. Somehow I guess they put our 5th tire on someones elses rig the day before so they did not have the tire to put on the spare. They ended up putting on a goodyear endurance which is the same size tire but a D rating. They didnt charge us for the upgraded tire nor did they charge us for the mounting/balance installation. My question is should I request that they order the tire I purchased and have the goodyear replaced with that? They offered to do this for us if we like. My concern is that it is a different rated tire and if we need to use it we would have a hard time finding a like for like tire for the Carlisle ST205/75/R14 100M BSB in the future.
I am not nuts about having a different brand/load rated tire for our spare even if it is a better tire.
Am I worrying over nothing?

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main concern I would have is the Endurance and the Carlisle the same physical size tire. They are both 205/75/R14, but sometimes different brand tires are sized slightly different.

I'm not a tire expert, but I don't think different load range tires is a concern.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Have them do it right.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

melloftus wrote:

Am I worrying over nothing?

IMO you're worrying over the wrong issue as the Goodyear Endurance is superior to the Carlisle HD tires you ordered. A couple years ago one of the stock Chinese tires on my Coachmen split for no apparent reason and before ordering a new set of tires I compared the Endurance LR D to the same size Carlisle HD LR D. Putting my full weight on an unmounted Endurance the tire barely deflected at all, did the same with the Carlisle and it collapsed noticeably. Not saying the Carlisle HD isn't a decent tire, just that the Endurance which is manufactured in the US is demonstrably better.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lwiddis

Bishop, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won’t buy LR Cs. Ds are tuffer.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kind of depends on what perspective you are concerned with, functionality or principle.

From a functional point of view, personally if it was my rig I wouldn't worry about it one bit. If it was the tow vehicle I wouldn't accept it, but it's just a trailer, and even more remotely it's the spar tire of the trailer. Yes some of us like to treat our trailers like they are precision manufactured performance machines. But in reality they just are not. Every day I see worker trailers with old and mismatched tires and they are going down the road just fine. Even if the size is a bit different the equalizer or the torsion axle will just flex the half of an inch necessary to take up the difference.

Now if you want to look at this as a matter of principle, you ordered 5 tires and they sold one to somebody else. On the principle alone I would be bothered by that. On the positive side you got a free tire out of this so you saved a bit of money. If they are willing to replace the spare with the appropriately matched spare for free I would say go for it and insist. But if they were going to charge you for the appropriate tire I would say leave it alone.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More than likely (and hopefully) that spare will never hit the ground before it ages out. If anything I would have them change all the tires to the GY. I wouldn't worry if my spare was a different LR. Even on my TV I buy a cheaper tire for a spare. IMO the spare is just to get me to the next tire shop.
But I would not be happy that they sold one of the tires that I ordered and paid for in advance.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Endurance D is a better tire and I would run as presented.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just my .02cts you should worry more about the carlisle tires , they don,t have a very good rep.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

just my .02cts you should worry more about the carlisle tires , they don,t have a very good rep.

"Recent links?"

Here is mine.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Spare Tire question- doesnt match our new TT tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS