|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Steps recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the Port-a-step and port-a-porch brand. The owners of the company have hip problems also so they designed these and started making them.

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for the Torklift Glo steps. I suffered several strokes that has left my left side rather weak. These steps make it a lot easier to get in and out of our 5th wheel.

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could also use a 2x? board with non slip grips to act as a ramp for Fido.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Carl n Susan

Carmichael, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yet another enthusiastic vote for the Glow steps. Best move I ever made.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the entry steps are the least of it, what about the steps on the inside every time you have to go to the bathroom?

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

I think the entry steps are the least of it, what about the steps on the inside every time you have to go to the bathroom?
I have trouble with mine also. Need to look at what it will take to add one more step.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I don't have the Glow Steps, I'm a huge fan of them based on what I've seen. I'm considering getting them at some point.
I'm curious about their longevity especially the 4 or 5 step versions used by those who extend and stow them frequently. With so many connections/moving parts do they loosen over time and loose their rigidity?

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcm1959 wrote:

While I don't have the Glow Steps, I'm a huge fan of them based on what I've seen. I'm considering getting them at some point.
I'm curious about their longevity especially the 4 or 5 step versions used by those who extend and stow them frequently. With so many connections/moving parts do they loosen over time and loose their rigidity?

My Glow steps became difficult to extend and retract. I messaged Tork Lift asking about what lubricant they recommend for the steps. It turns out they do not recommend a lubricant. The steps are adjustable by tightening or loosening several of the bolts on the sides of the steps. The instructions are in the manual on how to adjust the steps. I followed the instructions and my steps work just fine now.

The steps are made of aluminum and are of a very high quality. Installation was fairly easy and my son-in-law did it by himself in just under an hour.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND READING THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND FULLY UNDERSTAND BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THEM. When you first unpack the steps you might take a look and take apart sections that you do not have to. Just follow the instructions and you will have no problems.

Dave

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the reason folks get the new steps like the Glo steps is because they make contact with the ground and are less wobbly? For the ones that came with my diver I put the leveling blocks under the steps but just to take the wobble out of the fiver when going up or down them. I was just curious as to the reason why folks change. I have seen them and they do look nice.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

Is the reason folks get the new steps like the Glo steps is because they make contact with the ground and are less wobbly? For the ones that came with my diver I put the leveling blocks under the steps but just to take the wobble out of the fiver when going up or down them. I was just curious as to the reason why folks change. I have seen them and they do look nice.

Yes they are very stable and do not wobble.

My 5th wheels factory steps were only three steps the Glo Steps are four. The rise is not as high as the factory step and is somewhat adjustable as well.

They also can be set to accommodate uneven ground.

They can be deployed in tight spaces like a storage yard.

They also stay outside the RV where they belong and not folded up into the RV.

I got them because I suffered several strokes and have weakness and balance issues. I felt very nervous going up and down the factory steps. With the Glo Steps I do not have such a fear of falling. We had a 15 year old Cocker Spaniel. He couldn't go up or down the factory steps but he handled the Glo Steps just fine.

I have nothing but praise for these steps because they truly did make a difference for me.

Dave

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Steps recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS