|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Battery acid crud on top of battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common and many time exacerbated by the age old carry strap that clamps on both terminals and/or rough handling while tightening the cable clamps

Recently tossed my decades old post clamp battery handle after noodling this exact topic. Saw how it places high stress on both posts that messes up the post to case seal

Still see shops using that old style and think most of their customers will have compromised battery post to case seals

Bought a new carry handle from NAPA that looks like the old world ice block carry. This tool clamps on the side of the battery case and does not involve the post

I've always used dialectric grease on the post/case. Then a felt washer (they are next the batteries at parts stores) and the soak the felt with battery spray (also next to the batteries)....then the cable clamp, which I do not horse around so as to not mess up the new battery post seal

If the cable clamp has become stretched, either replace with new...or use copper tape wound on the post to increase it's dia

This is the tool. walmart

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PS...

Charging lead acid batteries can have the acid vaporize, more so if high speed and/or over charge

If the battery gets very warm to hot, your charging to fast or too long and boiling the acid

There should be a vent somewhere on top, but the vapor pressure can force acid vapor out through the post seal

Those felt washers are treated with antacids and I spray/soak on even more

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most new batteries have built in carrying handles, they all seem to work well.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should get AGM batteries.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes...until recently...Costco's no longer has them and they why I had to search for my old post carry strap...and why ended up noodling it while looking for it...found it after buying the new carry mechanism mentioned above

rhagfo wrote:

Most new batteries have built in carrying handles, they all seem to work well.

AMG batteries are cool, but after my red top died, thought about the cost vs just changing them out for Costco lead acid...about a wash in my case, but the year or so dealing with the red top losing power isn't worth it...and yes, I'm cheap and pinch the penny hard on most things...

Wild Bill 888

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of grease get a longer lasting seal with100 % silicon rtv.

Wait several hours for the battery to depressurize.
Gently wash with a low velocity flow of water to avoid splashing.
Remove cable, wash again, use high speed water to clean out cracks.
Allow to dry completely, use compressed air if available.
Apply a bead of silicone around the terminal. Wearing a rubber glove press the rtv into the plastic around the terminal to fill cracks. Apply another bead around the terminal and reinstall the cable.
Allow to cure overnight before starting engine.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After cleaning up the batteries, I’ve used RTV gasket sealant around the base of the battery post. That worked decent too.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

That type of buildup is from a leaking battery. There is a small crack around the battery post that is allowing the gasses to escape and the resulting crud buildup. Tell them the battery is leaking. They have a failure code for that and can replace a leaking battery even though the battery may test good. And tell them to replace both so the system functions properly.

I actually replaced my wifes Motorcraft battery this morning. I took it to the Ford parts dept. and that's when I noticed the plastic delaminated from the negative terminal. I did receive a free replacement.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy batteries in general just ain't what they used to be. Just returned home from taking my son in law to get a replacement battery for his 2018 Rav 4. Deader than h*LL and they haven't had it 2 years. Nope, they're not what they used to be and the price? OMG!

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

Boy batteries in general just ain't what they used to be. Just returned home from taking my son in law to get a replacement battery for his 2018 Rav 4. Deader than h*LL and they haven't had it 2 years. Nope, they're not what they used to be and the price? OMG!

I've always had good luck with motorcraft batteries but that may not be the case anymore

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Battery acid crud on top of battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS