|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> shaw satellite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bobfrombc

OLIVER and CASA GRANDE

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well joe
maybe not your work but you answered my and im sure lots of others questions and concerns over this issue with supplying the info that i had not been aware of before now.
glad to see the RVNET site can work with knowledgeable and carrying participation.
koodos to you

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Flyboy320 wrote:

Shaw no longer supports satelite south of the 49th. The current satelite will shutdown Sep/Oct. We winter in southern AZ and will be going with a "streaming" service that offers 5000 channels at $20/ month + purchase of the equipment.
HS Mobile World. Call Bill at 604-510-5040 to get all the info. Others in our park use this service and are happy with it.Bill was very happy to answer all our questions.

Won't you also need unlimited high speed bandwidth (aka internet access) in the park you're at? That might add issues and/or $$$ to the project.

We have 25-27mbps thru Dish while we are in AZ. According to "Bill" that is more than sufficient and should not encounter any buffering. Other Canadian friends in the same park gave me a demo of the system and they have never had buffering.

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Joe for the info! I suspect that we will be able to receive Canadian TV in the south for a while yet. I think that the life of the older sats will be the determining factor, not the shuffling to HD. I also think that Shaw knows they have folks that use their service in the US although they don't admit it publicly, to keep the US networks from giving them a hard time.

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know for sure but I suspect that a lot of the push to change encoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4 is that the reduced bandwidth required allows them to use fewer transponders on the birds. As I understand it, solar panels lose efficiency over time and put out less power. Less power means fewer transponders. They can extend the life of the satellite this way. How long will they last? Who knows but I'm guessing maybe another 5 years. If they lose F1R or F2, I'm guessing that they'll just wholesale switch the affected channels to G1 - then we'll not get those channels down south.

RicknJudy

Summers-Vernon, BC / Winters- Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to add our THANKS, JOE to this topic.
Appreciate you finding and posting that link to the channels available on the F1, F2 and G1 satellites. Finally, some concrete info. Whew!
And, a second thank you to bobfrombc for directing me/us to this topic from another thread.

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got an email from Shaw indicating that they are shuffling virtually all their channel numbers (I believe today), looks like the conversion they are doing is now complete.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> shaw satellite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS