RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Restrictions on older RVs.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Restrictions on older RVs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

RV age restrictions are really quite rare, and are usually found at high end "resort" RV parks. Don't use the "resort" in a park name as an indicator though, since the name has lost any real meaning over the years as older parks failed to modernize. Another place rig age restrictions can be found is long term stays, such as seasonal or annual sites. For 1 or 2 weeks or shorter stays, as long as the RV is in reasonably good condition there's typically no problem. State and national parks usually have no restrictions on age either, but 2 weeks is typically the maximum contiguous allowed stay.

X2. Reports of age restrictions are overblown. Yes they exist but you may never run into this issue.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have never run into an age restriction(other than those really high end private parks) but in Las Vegas the one question about my rig that surprised me was "do you have any cracked or broken windows?".

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've never encountered a campground in over 40 years that doesn't allow older rigs but then we mostly use public parks under some branch of government. Personally, I doubt I would patronize such a campground although I would support restrictions on junky units or campsites.

Jayco-noslide

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I check with the nearest cactus or pine tree where I usually park... they are good with my rig...

But ... occasionally use private enterprise paid site...

The one time at the $150/night one in Palm Springs CA they didn’t take truck camper rigs.

parkmanaa

Houston, Tx.

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO age restrictions at RV park are a stupid cop-out.
The reason some parks have this restriction is because they have weak management of the park, so the owners say "don't take any RV over 10 years old"
Smart ones go by condition rather than age. Sure wouldn't seem prudent to turn away a 25 year-old fully-restored airstream, yet let a 5 year old unit in with a couple of window units hanging on the side.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 12:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always called and asked as my truck is now 27 years old but have yet to find one that said it was a problem. I figure if I do run across one that won't allow it it's not really a RV Park I want to stay at anyways.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 1988 Damon Escaper built on a Toyota C/C. The unit was in very good shape and ran very good with only 70,000 miles on the clock. I only ran into a problem at a CG one time and I just moved on to the next CG.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think its just a rule on the books that can be enforced if a crappy looking rig/owner wants to stay there. If you look good, you're fine. If you look like a rolling meth lab, you get shown The Rule and asked to move on. And I'm fine with that.

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 10 year rule is a tool that campgrounds use to prevent people from dumping old RVs on their property thus avoiding the cost of having a junker towed. If you make reservations and they make a fuss about the age of your rig, tell them you'll send a pic and if they think your rig fits the junker category you'll go somewhere else.

Then send them a pic of a new Marathon.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parkmanaa wrote:

IMHO age restrictions at RV park are a stupid cop-out.
The reason some parks have this restriction is because they have weak management of the park, so the owners say "don't take any RV over 10 years old"
Smart ones go by condition rather than age. Sure wouldn't seem prudent to turn away a 25 year-old fully-restored airstream, yet let a 5 year old unit in with a couple of window units hanging on the side.

Much easier to point to a simple age restriction when telling someone they can't come in as opposed to telling their rig looks like @#%#$. You can expect the later to start an argument and get negative feedback on review sites. Kind of hard to get into it if you have an 11yr old rig and they say 10yr old or newer.

If you come in with a 15yr old rig that looks good, they just conveniently forget to ask.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Restrictions on older RVs.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS