|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Downgrading" trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to hear comments from anyone that has previously owned an HD truck (2500 and higher) then stepped back down to a 1500 series.

The long of the story is our two boys are several activities and with those busy schedules we just don't have time for camping [emoticon] Rather than having valuable assets setting unused we're in the process of selling our "extras" while they still have good value.

If I no longer have a 5th wheel I can't see a good reason to keep my diesel HD truck. Pretty much any 1500 truck on the market will pull the other things I'm going to keep. My thought is to get max value out of the Ram now, step down to a 1500 for my daily driver and pulling duties, and then if we get back into camping in 6 or 7 years get a new HD truck. If I keep the Ram it will be 11 or 12 years old by the time we get another 5th wheel. Not necessarily a dinosaur but I'm sure I'll have well over 200,000 miles on the clock by that point.

Here's the kicker....the truck is paid off so I'm not in a situation where I HAVE to get rid of it. I'm just trying to think what makes the most sense. So, I'd love to hear from anyone that did this. Did it work out or did you regret it and jump back to an HD truck? [emoticon]

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keep the HD

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's paid for ... keep it!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paid for or not.....if not used frequently SELL IT

Get max $$$ now and use to purchase the 1500

I have sold 250's to buy 150.....sold 2500 to buy 150....sold 150 to buy 1/4 ton truck ----sold the 1/4 to buy 150----sold the 150 to buy 3500

Right tool for the right job at the right time!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

handye9

Brown City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently downsized (somewhat). Didn't go all the way from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton. Went from F250 short bed crewcab, to a Nissan Titan XD (XD version is bigger than standard size Titan). Both with gas engines. The Nissan is a little bit smaller than the Super Duty, with slightly less tow capacity and payload. I gained a little maneuverability, better performance, 5 - 6 MPG, and still have capacity to tow my 8000 lb travel trailer. Also gained in
towing capability, in that the Titan came with factory prep for gooseneck hitch. I'm now set up (with added accessories) to tow bumper pull, gooseneck, or fifth wheel. I don't tow often so, the biggest benefit is the jump from 12 to 18 MPG.

I too, was considering my age and the age of the F250. I'm 64 and the F250 was 11 years old. I figured, if my new truck lasted 11 years, I would be 75, and probably won't be interested in dragging that trailer around.

18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing to think about; Will the new truck down the road work as well as the one you have now in that time? Maybe keep the HD, and add a beater car? You would have a truck as you need, and make a point to use it once a week, and fix what you find wrong..
I drive my pickup every Tuesday. When the gauge down to quater tank, I put in 5 gallons. Ready to go camping, fill with fresh...

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My divorce helped me downsize (everything) [emoticon] !

I had to sell my 2014 RAM 2500 and ended up in a 2001 Chevy Malibu and sold the RV. Now I'm back to RV ownership - albeit a small one and a 1/2 ton truck with high miles. I couldn't be happier.

I really enjoy the small RV and the truck. That said, going from a 3/4 ton diesel to a 1/2 ton (gas presumably), the only improvement you will see is in ride comfort and maybe save a little on maintenance. With a 10k tow rating (or more, but realistically 7-8k), you can tow a decently sized RV if you want. So, those are the PROS for swapping.

Buying new vs owning something that's paid for is a bad financial decision generally speaking, but so is owning an RV. Sometimes it's just about getting what you WANT.

I have no regrets about downsizing the truck and RV. In fact, I like the smaller combo much better. Many of the campgrounds we frequent in the Canadian Rockies have a very limited spots (if any at all) for anything over 25 feet long.

If I could change anything, I would rather have a hard sided RV instead of the hybrid, and only because the hybrid gets cold as most nights in the Rockies near the glaciers etc. get down to just above freezing at night.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there. We sat on the equipment and only camped 1-2x/year for quite a few years. Worth it for us as truck and trailer were paid for and old enough to not be worth much anyway.

We're pulling out of it all now, travel sports are pretty much over for us and only a few more years till both kids are off to college (or whatever is next).

We got back into RVing last year again and decided to sell the trailer (still kept the van though) and move to a motorhome. So one could certainly argue that the 5 or so years that the trailer sat in our yard getting used 1x/year was a waste of money, but to me it was worth it for those 1-2 trips with the family.

Even if it was only a few trips, both kids feel like they grew up camping.

Anyway, to the point, no I did not do what you are proposing. But when we did get back into RVing several years later, our needs had changed significantly and we're now in a motorhome instead of a truck/trailer. So one could certainly argue that the smart move would have been to sell everything way back then, and rent for the one trip/year. But hindsight and all that, it's hard to predict. I always went into each year thinking, 'this is the year we get out camping again!' only to end up at softball fields every weekend lol.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the truck and then tune it. It will feel like a whole new truck and you will also get the fuel mileage of most half tons. You don't need to delete it to tune it either. Most(if not all) emissions intact tuners just turn off the EGR so there is not more exhaust going back into the engine.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Test the waters. Go to a dealership and see what it's worth as a trade.

Right now, at least in Texas the 1/2T Rams have some really good rebates and dealer discounts trying to clear the lots for the 2020's that will soon be hitting so it is a REALLY good time to buy.

Had been a Ford person for years, switched to a 3/4T Ram. Had to have my truck in service so I had a `19 Ram to drive for a couple of days. It was mid-trim level and it was nice. Ram has stepped up their game and is way, way better than the Ford I had. only problem with the Rams is payload is on the low side so keep than in mind.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Downgrading" trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS