|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Downgrading" trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to health concerns (DW's about me) and lack of use, we totally exited RV life this year, selling the trailer and the truck. Had an '05 Ram 3500 SRW We bought in 2008 when we had a fifth wheel. Traded the fifth wheel for a new TT in 2012 but kept the truck as it was paid for. Sold the truck at a CarMax in February for $14K, sixty percent of the original price I paid. If the truck doesn't get a regular workout, I'd be inclined to trade/sell if a half ton will do it in your current circumstances.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had any interest in towing at all, keep the HD truck. A 1/2 ton is not a tow vehicle. I kept mine when I went off to school for 5 years and it hardly got driven at all. It's paid for though; no regrets!

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd keep the HD. The only downside to is is a stiffer ride and it gives you some flexibility to get back to a camper without having to buy a truck and camper at the same time. It's also paid for and you're not going to walk out of a dealership with a new truck without the dealership taking some money from you, and you'll lose money again when you trade the half ton in to go back to an HD in 6-7 years.

Plus, let's just be honest here, HD diesels are way cooler than half tons.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a 2018 F-250 gasser and a 35ft total length TT to a 2018 GMC Canyon and 24ft total length TT because I switched jobs and no longer needed the HD truck for work. I had the option of buying the F-250 from my previous employer as it had 3,000 miles on it and they knew I used it to tow my TT, but I opted to downsize everything even though I have two kids that are 4 and 7. I actually wanted the smaller TT for going to more State Parks and boondocking, and the Canyon has done everything I need from a household standpoint, including 1,500lbs of mulch.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 36 of my 37 years!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't need it and it will pretty much pay for a brand new 1500 in trade in value. I say downgrade.

Even though I have a 3500, I find myself driving the 1500 and even towing with it almost all the time. Unless I have a need to go camping or pull 10,000lbs. My 1500 has a 3.08 axle but it pulls the same trailer just as well as my 3500 does with the camper in the back. Obviously, no comparison empty truck to empty truck but I didn't buy the 3500 for that. I bought it to haul the camper.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your primary motivation is a financial one, it’s unlikely that selling your paid for truck and buying something new is the right decision. You already took the largest part of depreciation and the CTD will likely hold its value better than a 1500.

If you want to have a new truck, or a smaller truck, or a truck that is more comfortable to drive than your current truck, go for that 1500.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Paid for or not.....if not used frequently SELL IT

Get max $$$ now and use to purchase the 1500

Right tool for the right job at the right time!

I am leaning in that direction for sure. I'm asking myself if I don't NEED an HD truck why keep it when it still has high value?
But as others have said, a paid off HD truck with known history has it's advantages.

I do have a beater car that I drive to keep miles off the truck, but that's also one more set of wheels to maintain, register, and insure. Over time that all adds up quite a bit. If I go to a 1500 I can sell the beater and be down to a single vehicle.

To give a bit of context I bought the Ram HD for a song. Seriously, the deal I got was about $9,000 under book value 4 years ago. In fact, current book value on the truck is still $1,500 ABOVE what I paid for it [emoticon] [emoticon] Currently the truck has 141,000 miles. I've been shopping online a lot and basically I could sell the HD, buy a 2015 or 2016 Ram Ecodiesel with about 50,000 miles, and walk away with $5,000 cash in hand. Are the lower miles and cash in hand worth it?!?!?

I thought about offering the 5th wheel and truck as a package deal but I don't know how many buyers are out there looking for that kind of deal. I know the truck will sell easily on it's own so maybe the right thing is to sell the 5th first, then test the waters to see if I can get my top dollar out of the truck. If that happens then I walk away happy and if not, well I just keep it.

We will be empty nesters in 6 years and I'll have at least 8 more years after that before I retire so I'm trying to think long term here. The big takeaway is that I'm not in a financial pinch. I don't HAVE to move it, but it just doesn't make sense for valuable assets to set unused.

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, personally I would. If you don’t need it and can get good money for the truck now then it’s a done deal in my book. If a 1/2 ton or even midsized trucks works for you then I would go that route. Chances are in 7 years trucks will be changed even more so and you may want or need something different then anyhow. Your camping style or ideas may change then as well. If I didn’t need a HD truck I sure would not have one. A 1/2 ton with the newer diesel or even a mid sized diesel would work for me, if I was not pulling this large fifth wheel. So that’s my opinion only. I love my gas GMC, it’s paid for, does everything I need it to do, but financially if I didn’t need it then I would get something that made more sense for me. A diesel standing by and driven just a few times a year is a recipe for disaster....just ask my family who has a farm...if the diesel sit to long.... good grief.. the newer trucks have to run.... even gas jobs go to run since ethanol stepped into the picture now. So a 1/2 ton truck could be your daily driver and get decent fuel mpg and tow what you need it to tow.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Paid for or not.....if not used frequently SELL IT

Get max $$$ now and use to purchase the 1500

Right tool for the right job at the right time!

I am leaning in that direction for sure. I'm asking myself if I don't NEED an HD truck why keep it when it still has high value?
But as others have said, a paid off HD truck with known history has it's advantages.

I do have a beater car that I drive to keep miles off the truck, but that's also one more set of wheels to maintain, register, and insure. Over time that all adds up quite a bit. If I go to a 1500 I can sell the beater and be down to a single vehicle.

To give a bit of context I bought the Ram HD for a song. Seriously, the deal I got was about $9,000 under book value 4 years ago. In fact, current book value on the truck is still $1,500 ABOVE what I paid for it [emoticon] [emoticon] Currently the truck has 141,000 miles. I've been shopping online a lot and basically I could sell the HD, buy a 2015 or 2016 Ram Ecodiesel with about 50,000 miles, and walk away with $5,000 cash in hand. Are the lower miles and cash in hand worth it?!?!?

I thought about offering the 5th wheel and truck as a package deal but I don't know how many buyers are out there looking for that kind of deal. I know the truck will sell easily on it's own so maybe the right thing is to sell the 5th first, then test the waters to see if I can get my top dollar out of the truck. If that happens then I walk away happy and if not, well I just keep it.

We will be empty nesters in 6 years and I'll have at least 8 more years after that before I retire so I'm trying to think long term here. The big takeaway is that I'm not in a financial pinch. I don't HAVE to move it, but it just doesn't make sense for valuable assets to set unused.

Ram Ecodiesel settlement

The year model EcoDiesel you referenced has an emissions recall. There have been some reports that the vehicle has a loss of power and MPG after the computer reflash. FYI

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

A 1/2 ton is not a tow vehicle.

Only in your world bud...

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Downgrading" trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS