|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Downgrading" trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
1oldtruck

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t call it downgrading. More like downsizing. I did the exact same thing about four years ago. Kids and work obligations left the TT sitting unused. I spent more time cleaning the TT than using it so it was sold. Without it I really didn’t need the diesel anymore. It was more for payload than power. I traded for a new 1/2 ton that was fully optioned. DW likes all the safety features like front and rear park assist, and lane departure. She feels safer. I can’t say that I’ve noticed much of a savings from a fuel or maintenance standpoint.

I still tow a small horse trailer and an open trailer with my tractor on it. No issues or concerns using the 1/2 ton.

We agreed when we return to Rving we will buy a Super C and tow her Jeep. It’s really up to how you see your needs in the future. Good luck.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

I'd like to hear comments from anyone that has previously owned an HD truck (2500 and higher) then stepped back down to a 1500 series.

The long of the story is our two boys are several activities and with those busy schedules we just don't have time for camping [emoticon] Rather than having valuable assets setting unused we're in the process of selling our "extras" while they still have good value.

If I no longer have a 5th wheel I can't see a good reason to keep my diesel HD truck. Pretty much any 1500 truck on the market will pull the other things I'm going to keep. My thought is to get max value out of the Ram now, step down to a 1500 for my daily driver and pulling duties, and then if we get back into camping in 6 or 7 years get a new HD truck. If I keep the Ram it will be 11 or 12 years old by the time we get another 5th wheel. Not necessarily a dinosaur but I'm sure I'll have well over 200,000 miles on the clock by that point.

Here's the kicker....the truck is paid off so I'm not in a situation where I HAVE to get rid of it. I'm just trying to think what makes the most sense. So, I'd love to hear from anyone that did this. Did it work out or did you regret it and jump back to an HD truck? [emoticon]

KJ

If your RAM was a short bed I would say keep it, as a SB better around town as a DD. With 141K on the clock it is not going to hold good resale for that many years.

I would not buy a used eco diesel, to a many problems reported.

Got a Hemi?

Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It hardly makes any difference what you do. If you keep the Ram it will keep depreciating. If you sell it and buy a half ton the 1/2:ton will be depreciating. If one way you have a $30,000 truck depreciating and the other way a $40,000 truck depreciating it hardly matters. If I was needing a truck to pull anything I'd probably sell the Ram and buy a new 1 ton diesel 4x4.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

It hardly makes any difference what you do. If you keep the Ram it will keep depreciating. If you sell it and buy a half ton the 1/2:ton will be depreciating. If one way you have a $30,000 truck depreciating and the other way a $40,000 truck depreciating it hardly matters. If I was needing a truck to pull anything I'd probably sell the Ram and buy a new 1 ton diesel 4x4.

We roofed our 39' fifth wheel and bought a 8K GVWR bumper pull(which we load heavily) for travel back and forth to Arizona and side strips towing it with the same 3500 RAM SRW SB 4x4, and it tows it nicely. I would not want to tow it was a 1/2T. It is my summer DD and in the winter in Arizona it is both DW's and my DD. It is big and comfortable and safe feeling on the road. It is going on a side trip this weekend with the bumper pull.

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a gas 2500 to replace my 3500 Dodge diesel.

After six months of driving it the gas 2500 is now for sale. I am going to keep the 3500.

Just my $0.02

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mileage on the HD and LD will be similar. Who the HE!! wants to drive a truck with a gasser???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I didn't have to tow, I would have a tuned Raptor or tuned F150 Limited with a high output Ecoboost sitting in my driveway. Those are way more fun to drive even compared to my tuned and deleted Cummins.

* This post was edited 08/23/19 07:51am by ShinerBock *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pencil it out first, pretty easy with some solid assumptions (miles per year, commuting distance, fuel/ins/repairs, ownership cost and salvage value etc for each option. 1. Diesel and beater car x 6 years. 2. Newer 1/2 ton, no beater car x 6 years. 3. Diesel, no beater car x 6 years.

I've done this before and typically (unless you can be Suuuper saavy with the beater and fix it yourself, get a great deal and don't mind driving a sardine can to get 35mpg) one vehicle, even racking up miles on it wins over 2 vehicles.
Of course there's other things to consider, especially living in the rust belt. Does the expensive truck stay parked and the beater gets the salt season duty? Otherwise, that's a valid cost, in that your truck (either one since both in your scenario will be 10-15 years old at the end of the term, both being expensive and retaining value better than a beater with a heater) will likely be or be on it's way to being a rust bucket.

Once you do all the numbers, then let your emotion and inner skin flint decide if you want to continue driving that 1998 Civic around or if you've earned the right to travel in style!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you look at all your transaction costs such as registration fees and sales tax. Where I live, the sales tax alone on the new rig might be enough to scuttle the plan. A $50k truck would be over four thousand dollars in sales tax.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently sold a 1500....to a soccer mom.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Downgrading" trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS