|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Downgrading" trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ktosv

Greenville, SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it’s worth, almost four years ago we sold our one ton Express van after having it over three years. The wife got tired of driving a one ton on a daily basis. We went to a half ton Yukon XL and replaced that last year with a half ton Suburban.

We sold the camper and tent camp or rent a camper when we want. With all of the kids activities (club soccer, high school soccer, college soccer, wrestling) we don’t get to camp often and it’s nice to have such a nice riding vehicle like the Suburban whether we are going to a home game/meet or on a road trip.

We tow a 6x12 utility trailer and even with the 3.08 axle it does everything I need it to.

Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been driving a one ton diesel Ford since 2002. It does everything well. It is dependable. It gets better mileage than a gas powered half ton. I frequently pull a travel trailer or a boat on trips. I haul stuff in a utility trailer. After 14 years as my only vehicle I finally bought a small car for running errands in town. The car saves mileage on the truck. When you need a truck there is nothing like a diesel. The 2002 has been going up in value for several years with the 7.3 engine.

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

I recently sold a 1500....to a soccer mom.

LOL, so when you owned it what were you? [emoticon]

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

KM Rolling

Byhalia Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

I'd like to hear comments from anyone that has previously owned an HD truck (2500 and higher) then stepped back down to a 1500 series.

The long of the story is our two boys are several activities and with those busy schedules we just don't have time for camping [emoticon] Rather than having valuable assets setting unused we're in the process of selling our "extras" while they still have good value.

If I no longer have a 5th wheel I can't see a good reason to keep my diesel HD truck. Pretty much any 1500 truck on the market will pull the other things I'm going to keep. My thought is to get max value out of the Ram now, step down to a 1500 for my daily driver and pulling duties, and then if we get back into camping in 6 or 7 years get a new HD truck. If I keep the Ram it will be 11 or 12 years old by the time we get another 5th wheel. Not necessarily a dinosaur but I'm sure I'll have well over 200,000 miles on the clock by that point.

Here's the kicker....the truck is paid off so I'm not in a situation where I HAVE to get rid of it. I'm just trying to think what makes the most sense. So, I'd love to hear from anyone that did this. Did it work out or did you regret it and jump back to an HD truck? [emoticon]

KJ

I had a F250 4WD Powerstroke. It was a great truck, but there came a time when I no longer needed it, and I was able to sell it at a good price.

It was replaced with a HDPP F150 and we are very happy with it.

Would I do it again? Yep. Less capital tied up in a depreciating asset. The HDPP F150 is a fantastic truck. Costs less as a daily driver AND while towing with it.

Will it hold it's value as well as a diesel? No. But that is more than made up for by the lower cpm to operate, plus the near zero % financing from FOMOCO.

Kevin & Mary
Byhalia, MS
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed
2018 Blast TH

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like2build, your market around there must be different than here. I’ve been looking for an Eco diesel pickup for my wife’s hockey mom mobile...lol. There aren’t many used ones for sale and they’re all gold plated or something...

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Like2build, your market around there must be different than here. I’ve been looking for an Eco diesel pickup for my wife’s hockey mom mobile...lol. There aren’t many used ones for sale and they’re all gold plated or something...

They aren't plentiful, but they are around. One dealership near me has a '14 and a '15 both with under 40,000 miles and both priced under $26,000.

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^I need to look elsewhere for a truck....
Around here, those trucks are priced at $32-33k at the dealers.

Humpty

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we parked our 5th wheel on the coast, I sold the 3500 DRW. The Canyon I have now is plenty of truck for me and MUCH better for daily driving duty. I have no regrets.

To be honest, a decent size SUV would handle most of my hauling needs.

2007 Challenger 33DBB parked on the Coast

2016 GMC Canyon Diesel

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ love my Canyon and I went from a F-250

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 36 of my 37 years!

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Pencil it out first....unless you can be Suuuper saavy with the beater and fix it yourself.....one vehicle, even racking up miles on it wins over 2 vehicles.
Of course there's other things to consider, especially living in the rust belt.

I kind of have that covered. I have a Saab Wagon that was my son's college car. It had to be repaired while he was at school which cost more than I would have liked, but at the time we could afford repairs and not a completely different car. We've since upgraded his car and I have the Saab at home where I can do all the repairs so the maintenance costs will be much cheaper.

I previously tried to sell the Saab and got no hits. My thought now is if I can't sell it, drive the thing until it just absolutely croaks and try to get my repair money back by keeping miles off the truck. When I tried to sell it I used Craigslist only. Since then we've put a few other things on FB marketplace and they sold super fast so I maybe I need to try again to sell the Saab there and see what happens.

Obviously my thoughts are all over the place. Maybe it's a midlife thing or maybe it's just realizing we're a few years away from having multiple kids in college and we need to make sure the financial ship is solidly afloat [emoticon] I guess age plays a part too because I'm in the latter half of my working life and I've started paying attention to this stuff a lot more.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Downgrading" trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS