|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Recommend a sealant or caulk

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is Geocel Proflex a good choice to use around the outer seams/trim on our rigs? I've got some of these areas on my C that are in need to re-caulking, most notably around my cabover (front mostly vertical surfaces) but also some horizontal places on the roof.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

Is Geocel Proflex a good choice to use around the outer seams/trim on our rigs? I've got some of these areas on my C that are in need to re-caulking, most notably around my cabover (front mostly vertical surfaces) but also some horizontal places on the roof.

It's a very good choice for the vertical(ish) applications and general sealing. There are arguably others just as good, and personal preferences may come into play, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using Geocel Proflex.

For the horizontal roof application, use either Dicor self-leveling lap joint compound (of whatever type is appropriate for your roof) or Eternabond tape. The Dicor does need touching up/addition/replacement every now and again but works well. Eternabond works well and lasts rather longer, but may be a bit more difficult to apply in some situations and, being a tape rather than squirted goo, is just different to work with. Both are effective and popular.

craz z

Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

literally anything but dicor buytl caulk sag or non-sag or silicone. neither should be put on a rv ever.

If you watch even a few of these videos of brand new like not even a year old rv's you will quickly change your mind about dicor. Its no secret that rv's are made like total garbage
RV roof install

His famous line is dicor wants you to put more on the only one that puts more on is a MORON.

if you dig deep into dicors more industrial side of rv products even they are recommmending polyurethane extrusion for rv makers mostly on the framless window side. for a more positive longer lasting seal. similar to the windshield industry which very few of those leak or ever need to be replaced until you crack it. haha[emoticon]

silicon sticks to nothing. dicor shrinks and cracks and requires reapplication up to 2 times a year. Polyurethane is rated for 20-25 years is often cheaper more pliable and is also an adhesive. two good brands are chemlink m-1 and sikaflex 1a as well as many many others. these are applied to commercial roofing that doesn't need reapplication constantly and are subjected to the same forces of nature as an rv numero uno being sun damage.

caulks are not intended to "waterproof" anything just to keep the majority of the water from getting to the actual seal. rvs are made so terrible this is often the only line of defense in most places as there is nothing below the caulk except raw wood to rot.

So buy the best you possibly can and look into eternabond under corner seals or even dicor's seam seal tape for a first line and follow with polyurethane only as a 2nd line of defense.

If i had the chance to drive all the way to Georgia i'd be putting on a roof with these guys and having curbs built and everything heatwelded. Very high quality work. for now its sika, and chemlink.

* This post was edited 09/04/19 12:33pm by craz z *

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my vote is dicor self leveling up top and dicor non leveling on the sides.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use Geocell pro rv on my FW.It looks nice and easy to use.How long will stay clean I don't know yet but it is white now.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a tube to Geocell & Dicor. Later I realized I had a couple of extra tubes of Geocell from 5 or so years ago when I had my last RV. Guess I'd used some of it back in the day & didn't remember.

So far I've done the Driver's side of my RV top to bottom with the Geocell. Had to go with the clear as most of my coach is that brown/beige 'Champagne' color. Went on pretty decent, time will tell how it stays looking but the main thing I want out of it is that it stays working for much longer than the factory stuff.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

craz z wrote:

literally anything but dicor buytl caulk sag or non-sag or silicone. neither should be put on a rv ever.

Not using Silicone would be news for Thor, and Keystone RV / Dutchmen Mfg, who use/used the product below anywhere metal touches metal or metal touches fiberglass on laminated construction trailers. Not sure if they still use it, but I know for a fact they did up until 2015, and it was tenacious stuff. The product below is not the **** one buys at the big box store or Ace hardware.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Recommend a sealant or caulk
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS