RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Alternative to Jensen AV receiver?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Alternative to Jensen AV receiver?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
GazzBC

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks - I have a Jayfeather trailer which, like most, came with a Jensen radio/DVD multi-zone player. It lives up to my expectations of anything Jensen: it’s a second or third-rate piece of ****.

There is a reason no-one other than a desperately broke teenager installs a Jensen stereo in their car - yet they seem to have the RV market all to themselves. I have been unable to find anything by a more reputable brand to replace it with.

Am I missing something? Does some decent electronics brand make a unit for RVs?

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've actually had excellent luck with cheapie eBay units. Hard to believe something so inexpensive would work at all but I've used 3 so far (in two RVs and my old truck) and each one did exactly what they were advertised to do and the two I still have are still working fine, one after 3 years.. All 3 were actually different from each other..what they sell changes frequently. As cheap as they were I figured I'd roll the dice...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-8-1-Car-Stereo-GPS-Navigation-Radio-Player-Double-Din-WIFI-7/254095461800?hash=item3b29450da8:g:AS4AAOSwNXpcSw-6

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're referring to the units found in Travel Trailers and 5th Wheels, I agree. Total junk. I don't know what they put in Class A's, B's and C's. If you do find something, plan on needing to modify the opening to have a decent fit and finish. You'll also need to plan on running new speaker wires because they use a common ground in RV's and the wiring is a mess to say the least. Where the grounds are located and whether they are all connected is a mystery. Likely within the rats nest of wires found hidden somewhere in your RV. So you'll have positive and negative sets of speaker wires at the back of the Jensen unit but by the time they reach the speakers you'll have something different. They might not even be the same color wires like in my RV. Somehow they work with the original POS Jensen but not all the speakers work with better units and I've tried three different units and I can't figure it out. A close friend of mine who is an electrical engineer can't figure it out either! I didn't want to run all new wiring through the walls and ceiling so I just gave up and use my phone and good bluetooth speakers for music. For DVD's and Television I put up with the lousy sound. Good luck to you!

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_484750/Rad.........html?tp=89275#&nvpair=FFHDMI_Output|Yes

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see this thread. I have a Rockwood with the pos Genesis 2.0. Made by Concertone and no longer production, it was owned by Forest River.

There are RV stero units out there like Jensen and iRV that will fill the large rectangular hole and plug in to the existing wiring. They cost a lot and are also crappy units that are notoriously undependable.

I found an auto installer that knows this business. I just bought a Pioneer 211 EX double din that is a rectangular touch screen. It will do everything. Comparable units are made by companies like JVC and Kenwood, or Alpine. My guy says Pioneers never come back compared to the other brands. It will be installed by a pro for $100. Money well spent if you ask me. Stay tuned. I paid $179 for the Pioneer.

* This post was last edited 08/25/19 10:36pm by ppine *   View edit history

GazzBC

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone - you’ve given me some good leads and ideas.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which model?

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I don't get RV entertainment systems. Our 5th wheel had a supposed 5.1 surround system. Of course the player/receiver died. But the area of an RV is just too small. The "rear" speakers are in front of the recliners, think about that. The subwoofer was behind a cabinet door.

Plus open a speaker cover and find some seriously cheap speakers.

A DVD player and television are all I really need. But a sound bar will do more than a replacement RV entertainment system.

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison
2009 Chaparral 278DS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything will work. I don't know what is meant by 'made for RVs'

Barematy

Milano

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will you be using a sub? Center? Surrounds?

What are your main speakers?

You can get something cheap around 200$

Some options with their compares:
https://chooserator.com/best-av-receiver-under-200

* This post was edited 09/16/19 12:04am by Barematy *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Alternative to Jensen AV receiver?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS