RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Has anyone looked at the Jeep Gladiator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Has anyone looked at the Jeep Gladiator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw one on the street yesterday and glanced at the specs online. Interesting numbers and features for towing with a 3.6L engine with a 6 speed manual or 8 speed auto., 7600 tow cap. And 1600 lb. cc. I will not buy one, but anyone who likes back country camping might want to look at one...

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw them at the Jeep Beach event this year (Daytona Beach). They offered a ride-along on a small hilly course they built.

It looks neat, but if they want to be a contender, they need to offer a V8 version. I'd consider a hemi version, but V6, no thanks!

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I think the Ecodiesel is a bit too small and under powered for a 1500, I think it is perfect for a mid-size truck like the Gladiator. I know a lot people waiting to buy one when the Ecodiesel version comes out.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It still rides and drives like a Wrangler. So having a V8 is not a big deal for extra towing. The engine performance seems in line for the intended use. If you like the capabilities of the Wrangler but looking for more cargo space this is a good option.

dshelley

hernando, mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I told myself I was going to buy one when they became available, but they’re just too proud of it. It seems to be about $10k more than a somewhat similarly equipped Colorado or Ranger.

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like them, but after watching TFL pull a 7k trailer up the hill at pretty much 6000 rpm the whole way, I would wait for the ecodiesel as well.
Even though it will have a slightly lower tow rating, I think it will be a more pleasant truck for towing near the rated limit.

I have the same V6 in our minivan. It's a great engine, lots of power, but needs a lot of RPM to get anything done.

For smaller trailers it will be great, way better than a regular Wrangler for midsize truck duties.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1996 GMC Suburban K1500 5.7 Vortec/3.73 Gears/PCM4Less Tune
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

While I think the Ecodiesel is a bit too small and under powered for a 1500, I think it is perfect for a mid-size truck like the Gladiator. I know a lot people waiting to buy one when the Ecodiesel version comes out.

^ This!
Make a great winter rig for the wife, but WTF???
I'm gonna sound old when I say this, but who the f would pay $45-62k for a little 6 banger gasser Jeep?

I don't get it, you won't see any real discounts on them, Jeeps are too dang popular, so a new Jeep midsize pickup (not even as capable as the DMax Colorado) costs more than I paid for a brand new loaded SRT8 less than 2 years ago or the same price could buy a new Crew Cab diesel for?

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J20

* This post was edited 08/25/19 08:53am by noteven *

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's the only midsize truck I would seriously consider other than a Tacoma, if I were in that smaller truck market. The blend of off-road capability and towing capacity is pretty appealing. I assume you'll give up a little bit on suspension flex and ride quality with stiffer springs compared to a Wrangler, but in return you get better towing ability plus all the cargo space in the bed.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

It's the only midsize truck I would seriously consider other than a Tacoma, if I were in that smaller truck market. The blend of off-road capability and towing capacity is pretty appealing. I assume you'll give up a little bit on suspension flex and ride quality with stiffer springs compared to a Wrangler, but in return you get better towing ability plus all the cargo space in the bed.

Ride quality it very comparable. Not much difference. Maybe a little less wandering in the Gladitor. But comparing similar trims like Rubicon/Rubicon or Sahara/Overland you probably will not notice much difference.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Has anyone looked at the Jeep Gladiator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS