|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Social Security disability

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just talked to a friend of mine that just started drawing normal SS at age 62 last December. He is fully ritered and has been for over 5 years. Unfortunately, he now has cancer. He has been told by a friend that works in the SS system that he should apply for SS Disability.

He asked me what I thought. I told him I would be amazed if he had any possibility of a claim since he was already drawing the normal age 62 amount. He asked if he should see one of the disability lawyers and I told him sure, nothing to lose but maybe a few hundred bucks, but I cannot conceive how he might be eligible. So he is going to see a lawyer soon.

Why not, I guess but wonder if anyone here has had a similar experience?

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope it works out, but a friend of ours just went through the process. She is already drawing SS retirement but still working. She developed breathing problems and was forced to quit work. Her claim was denied since she was already drawing SS.

Some smoothing talking attorney might be able to talk a judge into granting your claim, but it is a long shot. Hope it is different for you.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to know how that works because I too am on SS but I believe I might just qualify for Disability.. Though I'm kind of impressive for like 10 minutes. working even 4 hours a day is out of the question..

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My very limited knowledge, you can only collect disability if you can't work. Since she's already voluntarily not working...

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

Just talked to a friend of mine that just started drawing normal SS at age 62 last December. He is fully ritered and has been for over 5 years. Unfortunately, he now has cancer. He has been told by a friend that works in the SS system that he should apply for SS Disability.

He asked me what I thought. I told him I would be amazed if he had any possibility of a claim since he was already drawing the normal age 62 amount. He asked if he should see one of the disability lawyers and I told him sure, nothing to lose but maybe a few hundred bucks, but I cannot conceive how he might be eligible. So he is going to see a lawyer soon.

Why not, I guess but wonder if anyone here has had a similar experience?

If your friend is a veteran they may qualify for a VA non-service related disability pension. A buddy who is 75 just got one & still gets his normal work pension & SSI. He had a wreck driving a 18wheeler 2 yrs ago & damaged one eye.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Social Security at 62, for reasons unrelated to health, taking a 25 percent reduction in benefits for filing four years before full retirement age (currently 66 but gradually rising to 67 over the next several years). Six months later, you are diagnosed with kidney disease. You can file for SSDI, and if the claim is approved, you will get a higher benefit, backdated to when you applied for disability. (You will still not get your full retirement benefit, but the “reduction factor” for early retirement will shrink from four years to just the period when you were only eligible for retirement benefits.)

Full Retirement (65-67).....Disability amount is same as full retirement amount so you remain on SS vs Disability

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are about 200 SSDI compassionate allowance conditions. That means if you're diagnosed with one of those you get a slam dunk acceptance for SSDI. Not surprisingly, many cancers are on the list. If your friend has been diagnosed with a cancer that's on the list in all likelihood he will not need an attorney. Filing is generally straightforward, and I've heard of several people with one of those conditions getting approval within two weeks of filing.

In addition to an increased monthly benefit, a 62 yo person who qualifies for SSDI will be eligible for Medicare in two years (after 24 SSDI payments). Speeding up the time frame for Medicare qualification can make a big difference in insurance costs. That doesn't sound like it would be a huge thing for your friend, since if I'm reading right he'll be 63 in December. So even if he were approved for SSDI in a couple of weeks it would only speed up his Medicare qualification date by about three months. But for someone just turned 62 it could speed it up by almost a year.

SSDI compassionate allowance

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our son in law's father drew SS disability and automatically changed him to his retirement SS when he became eligible. No choice.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw something recently where you can reverse your decision to draw SSI early, by repaying what you've received, and then waiting to reapply at a later date, receiving the larger payment just as if you had never applied early. Sort of a second chance. If your friend has only been drawing a few months, and can afford that, it might be a way to go, except reapplying for SSDI.

I'm no expert on that stuff, but it might be something to check out.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From AARP website: wrote:

You're now in a position to wait until you are older and can collect a larger benefit. ... Social Security will let you withdraw your original application for retirement benefits only once, and it must be within 12 months of the date you first started claiming benefits.Oct 10, 2018

May be worth checking into....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Social Security disability
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS