RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Rewiring Trailer Brakes - How to Allow for Axle Movement?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rewiring Trailer Brakes - How to Allow for Axle Movement?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Woodtroll

Appalachian Mtns, SW Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, folks,

I am planning to rewire my travel trailer axle brakes using a 12/2 commercial brake wire such as this:

https://www.nassaunationalcable.com/12-gauge-2-conductor-duplex-brake-cable.html

I'm going to run a separate wire from a junction at the front of the trailer to each hub. Two axles means four hubs, so there are eight flex points in the wire (frame and axle on each wire) that will be moving constantly. I know that stranded wire is much better at handling flexion, but what else can I do at the point where the wire leaves the trailer frame to help ensure that the wire won't eventually break? Are there any "best practices" that would apply to this installation?

Many thanks!
Regan

2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would place the junction close to the axles, less wire to run and if one short section fails it is easy to repair or replace. Eventually the wires will fail due to flexing and abuse from road debris, salt etc, regular inspection is the key.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you use the appropriate shielded wire anchors spacing them frequently along the run. Use strap ties to hold groups of conductors together. Allow plenty of wire in the flex areas and secure each end using the appropriate connectors. Whenever the wire changes direction, place an anchor at the beginning and end of each radius. Do not bend the conductors sharply. When the conductors are subject to flying debris, heat, moisture, dirt protect them with an additional corrugated plastic shield. For examples of what to do and how to do it, just look under the hood of any trucks with factory wiring. You'll immediately notice the difference between that and when trunk monkeys have been at work. Do it like the factory to minimize future issues.

Chum lee

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If spring ride, or torsion, follow the spring. The only place you need slack is the "hinge" area, and not a lot of movement there. Seal the water out...

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A smooth curve will flex just fine. Allow just enough slack to be jacked up by the frame. I would keep the wire away from the tire in case of failure.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being basically lazy I would make the axle loop about the same length as the old wires.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack trailer up by FRAME so wheels/suspension is fully extended
Wire up brake lines.....
Then lower back onto wheels

Check wiring for pitch spots/hung up spots

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not run the wire through the axle like the factory? - half as many flex points.

jodeb720

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe,

I had wires inside my axle's originally - and they don't provide mounting points inside the axle to stop the wiring from flopping around.

After a number of years, I got a short in my second axle and couldn't figure out why - Until I put a post up here. Someone else had the same issue and suggested I break the circuit and figure out which axle and which wheel.

Turns out the wire inside had chafed itself down to bare wire and was shorting out.

I rewired with zipties and check it annually for wear to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Just my two cents

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Jack trailer up by FRAME so wheels/suspension is fully extended
Wire up brake lines.....
Then lower back onto wheels

Check wiring for pitch spots/hung up spots

This is a given, do it with full extension. But if you run the shortest distance, from frame above the axle down to the brake, you have a chance of that wire catching anything as it is blowing in the wind. Follow the suspension, keep it tied tight except a little slack at the pivot points.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rewiring Trailer Brakes - How to Allow for Axle Movement?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS