RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Bearings and bad decisions......

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bearings and bad decisions......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

So you're saying your bearing packing job was good for only two low mileage years? I think you're wise to leave it to someone else to do now.

OUCH, that even hurt me. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I hate the fact that my KZ has Never-Lubes, which means I'd have to change the entire axle if hate rv I wanted to go to EZ Lubes, or so I've been told.

Lyle

I hate that my axles have the useless grease fittings, I will never use them.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I hate that my axles have the useless grease fittings, I will never use them."

Please explain why?

4 years full-time I have not even looked at my bearings. Raise one side of RV spin and pump grease til fresh comes out. I also do the push pull test.

Used properly they are a great way to go.

Saying that I will be changing out to OilBath soon.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

laknox wrote:

I hate the fact that my KZ has Never-Lubes, which means I'd have to change the entire axle if hate rv I wanted to go to EZ Lubes, or so I've been told.

Lyle

I used them yearly on my old Komfort. No issues whatsoever. No grease leaking past the seals and, when I =did= replace the bearings, mechanic said I could have used the old ones, no problem. IIRC, they =were= Timkens as OEM, but I went ahead and replaced them anyway.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

laknox wrote:

Lyle

I used them yearly on my old Komfort. No issues whatsoever. No grease leaking past the seals and, when I =did= replace the bearings, mechanic said I could have used the old ones, no problem. IIRC, they =were= Timkens as OEM, but I went ahead and replaced them anyway.

Lyle

I have always wondered after time, where does all that grease that keeps getting pumped in there go. There is only so much room in there. I would think after a certain amount of time ,and grease, it has to start getting pushed back thru the seals ????. Although I do have them, I pull out the bearings ,check the brakes ,and adjust ,and repack.. Definitely no issues so far doing that after 12 years with the present fifth wheel , and original bearings.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The grease comes out the front cap around where you putting in new grease. Obviously if you're not seeing any grease coming out there's a problem. Works great, I've used it a couple times over the 10 years we've had our toyhauler and have had no issues. The bearings looked good when I pulled them last year.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Sport45

Not far enough from Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Lyle

I never suggest replacing good bearings. When you do, you are subjecting yourself to an “infant mortality” type failure. Good bearings will keep on being good until they are overloaded or allowed to run dry. Even the best new bearing has some small chance of a manufacturing defect that could lead to early failure.

’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

The grease comes out the front cap around where you putting in new grease. Obviously if you're not seeing any grease coming out there's a problem. Works great, I've used it a couple times over the 10 years we've had our toyhauler and have had no issues. The bearings looked good when I pulled them last year.

Thanks . Have always wondered ,because the old grease is supposed to get pushed out of the bearings ,and the new going in .That old grease has to go somewhere.

I am just too old school I guess. Done it for years, hand packing my bearings.

I just may try it , jack a wheel up ,and spin it ,and see for myself if that old grease comes out the front where its supposed too, have always been a little skeptical . In all honesty I should have read the dexter manual on doing it, and would of at least known where the old grease is coming out . Thanks again for being gentle on me for not reading the manual . [emoticon]

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

I just may try it , jack a wheel up ,and spin it ,and see for myself if that old grease comes out the front where its supposed too, have always been a little skeptical . In all honesty I should have read the dexter manual on doing it, and would of at least known where the old grease is coming out .

Keep on hand packing, or be prepared to pump in a LOT of grease. To properly grease the outer bearing with fresh grease you would need to pump till grease fills the void, then pump till grease appears, then pump till all the old grease from the rear bearing is pushed out thru the outer bearing and you see fresh grease.

After all that, how do you inspect your brakes for wear, failing parts and grease contamination? Removing the hub with that mess of grease will be a chore. In my opinion, these grease fittings are for those that will not do proper inspection and maintenance.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

I just may try it , jack a wheel up ,and spin it ,and see for myself if that old grease comes out the front where its supposed too, have always been a little skeptical . In all honesty I should have read the dexter manual on doing it, and would of at least known where the old grease is coming out .

Keep on hand packing, or be prepared to pump in a LOT of grease. To properly grease the outer bearing with fresh grease you would need to pump till grease fills the void, then pump till grease appears, then pump till all the old grease from the rear bearing is pushed out thru the outer bearing and you see fresh grease.

After all that, how do you inspect your brakes for wear, failing parts and grease contamination? Removing the hub with that mess of grease will be a chore. In my opinion, these grease fittings are for those that will not do proper inspection and maintenance.

Well thats settled. I watched the Dexter video, and a few pumps, and out came the old grease. I am thinking there was a whole lot going in that was not showed. I did watch a youtube on it, and this guy pumped a lot of grease before anything appeared. I think he mentioned it took nearly a tube of grease for one wheel, yikes I use less then that for all four. I am guessing after you have used up four tubes of grease, then the next time around its just a few pumps ,and out comes the old grease.

There is no grease in the cavity when I am done. I put a little around the spindle ,pack the bearings, and button it up. The biggest thing is jacking it up ,and removing the tire. I will continue old school [emoticon] Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bearings and bad decisions......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS