RV.Net Open Roads Forum: storage tips for keeping batteries in good shape ????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> storage tips for keeping batteries in good shape ????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will "go against the grain" !

Any lead acid battery really does not like to be on a charger/maintainer 24/7 weeks on end. The simple solution is to plug your charger/maintainer into an old fashion, cheap, mechanic lamp timer and only let it run 2 - 4 hours per day.

If the battery is not fully charged before you are storing it, put it on a good charger for 24 hours BEFORE connecting it to your maintainer.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi John,

My Magnum appears to use voltage to switch from mode to mode, or at least from bulk to absorb.

full_mosey wrote:

Well, I believe that is not unique to Magnum. When your Magnum is regulating Voltage, it will increase/decrease Amps to maintain the set Voltage.

HTH;
John

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 but one hour a day seems to work for me.

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I will "go against the grain" !

Any lead acid battery really does not like to be on a charger/maintainer 24/7 weeks on end. The simple solution is to plug your charger/maintainer into an old fashion, cheap, mechanic lamp timer and only let it run 2 - 4 hours per day.

If the battery is not fully charged before you are storing it, put it on a good charger for 24 hours BEFORE connecting it to your maintainer.

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased two BatteryMinders - one for the engine batteries and one for the house batteries. I keep them connected to the batteries when we are at home.

As stated, you do not add acid to batteries - you only add distilled water. The easy way to do that is install a battery watering system. You pump water in one house and it tops off all the batteries. You should do this before each trip.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

brianseay

Bridgeport, Al USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ordered two new house batteries. Will pick them up tomorrow and install them. Also going to get me a battery tender to use on them. Thanks for all of the input, lesson well learned. My batteries are 6 yrs old, normally that's old for an auto battery but not sure if that is good or bad for a house battery. Can someone tell me what the avg life span is on a 6volt 235Ah battery ?

Brian & Neena Seay
1st time rv owners and loving it ( so far)
1997 32' Damon Challenger
2000 Mustang GT / 2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
ROLL TIDE ROLL.......">
SCRC #217001 & #217002

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full_mosey,

From Magnum observations since 2004 it appears that the Magnum suspends charging for a very short time to to check the battery status and is not related to time. ie It determines to some level how to charge the battery.

I haven't found the algorithms used but observing the charger based on various battery conditions it for me appears to be an excellent charger. I have the Magnum charger voltage and amps and ditto with a battery monitor that have helped me to reach that conclusion.

My MS controller has similar setup as you described. Setting and extending solar timers based on a guess or past history is to me a more marginal method of charging vs determining the battery status so as to not over charge or under charge based on some timer.

In addition Magnum has a optional battery monitor which gives it the actual battery amps and voltage. I don't have this option. Both my MS controller and Magnum have a battery temperature probe.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> storage tips for keeping batteries in good shape ????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.