RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Small Class C - Mercedes Diesel vs. Chevy Gasoline?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Small Class C - Mercedes Diesel vs. Chevy Gasoline?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hpdrver

Mansfield, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps with the new E450 chassis with the new Ford V-8 will provide a more spacious cabin.

Texas Two Step
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer RW
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

Cost alone ruled out the sprinter based rigs for me. We did look at a few shorter C's based on the new Ford Transit, that's another option these days.

Foot room for the passenger is a common complaint with the E450. In our case, my wife complains more about getting in/out of the seat (getting by the console and moving to the house), as well as the heat coming off the floor than she does about the footroom when sitting. From a drivers perspective, I don't notice any of these issues. The E-series is clearly designed as a commercial 'driver first' rig.

FWIW, our 2005 E450 chassis Class C does not have hot floors because of the heat shields down below that are between the exhaust pipes and bottom side of the cab floor.

However, there is a way to eliminate the hot floor effect on the E350/E450 cab floors that do feel hot. Just use the cab air conditioner in a different mode: Set it to MAX A/C so that it only circulates interior air instead of bringing in hot outside air (for maximum cooling efficiency), and also set the vents to the MIX position. In the MIX position the cold air comes out of only the defrost vents and the floor vents (but not the chest high dash vents) - thus countering any hot floors and keeping the feet, lower legs, and lower body nice and cool.

Maybe the Ford E350/E450 being initially designed for commercial use means that it's going to wind up being very tough and reliable for small RV use? At least, I assumed that when we bought our 24 foot Class C on an E450 chassis. Motorhome chassis reliability (and ease of repair if it does act up on the open road) is the absolute highest priority for us - every other consideration is lower priority.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Maybe that's not the only reason? Add poor gas mileage, and excessive engine noise when utilizing the RPM power range, and you've got 3 of the reasons we got rid of our V10.
It's got nothing to do with "getting over it". It's a personal preference.

p.s. I see they offer the Sprinter cab cutaway option at phoenixusarv.com on the 2350 model. I think we'll see many more upfitters come to realize there are some benefits to using the MB Sprinter, and the demand is there. The times, they are a changing?
I hear you loud and clear. There are pros and cons to each chassis choice.

About the 2350 Phoenix Cruiser Sprinter. The company started offering it 10 years ago in 2009. I wonder if Phoenix sold more in 2010 than all other years combined. Phoenix bought up many 2008 cut-away Sprinter chassis from bank liquidation auctions of bankrupt RV manufactures and offered them to the public at the same price of an E350. The deal was exceptional for Sprinter lovers, and it helped the company survive the great recession. So if you see a 2010-2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 Sprinter, chances are it was built on a 2008 Sprinter chassis.

I understood for some time now, Phoenix will soon or maybe has already discontinued the Sprinter option. I wonder if it is because of the price hike for a 2019. You no longer can select the Sprinter option in their on-line pricing calculator.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hpdrver wrote:

Perhaps with the new E450 chassis with the new Ford V-8 will provide a more spacious cabin.
I would be very surprised if Ford re-designs their limited production E-series for more leg room. But one could only hope.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

hpdrver wrote:

I would be very surprised if Ford re-designs their limited production E-series for more leg room. But one could only hope.

With the new 7.3 gas being physically more compact (despite the slightly larger displacement) than the V10, a narrower doghouse and therefore better leg room might be a side effect of the new engine.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

hpdrver wrote:

Their limited production is roughly around 50,000 units a year; certainly not their best selling vehicle, not by a long shot, but I suspect sufficient to invest something into tweaks and improvements. Increasing the foot space (side to side) when using a narrower engine should not take too much engineering effort. It would be a bit surprising to me if they failed to do that.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just find a camper on a Chevy 2400 chassis and love driving it.

Not to mention ease of getting into the house or no engine noise up hills.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

I find it remarkable how "passenger foot well room" is so much of an issue that you would rule out the most capable, most affordable, most reliable, most serviceable, and most popular E350/E450 chassis in the RV industry.
We all have our priorities, and the cab space and comfort was close to the top of the list for us. Additionally, with every Ford or Chevy based model with slide that we considered when we purchased, the slide blocked the driver seat from going back as far as I need it. In the Sprinter I'm about 6" from full rear travel. That seat travel issue has also eliminated a lot of cars when I've been car shopping.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 01:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm ... maybe that's kindof a subtle thing not discussed much - that non-slide Class C motorhomes don't limit the drivers seat bottom and seat back from going all the way back.

At least in our non-slide Ford E450 Class C it has a tilting back to it's dinette seat that's right behind the driver's seat. This hinged tilting dinette seatback allows the driver's seatback to be tipped back to a nice angle for maximum driving comfort.

* This post was edited 08/28/19 09:24am by pnichols *

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

I find it remarkable how "passenger foot well room" is so much of an issue that you would rule out the most capable, most affordable, most reliable, most serviceable, and most popular E350/E450 chassis in the RV industry.
We all have our priorities, and the cab space and comfort was close to the top of the list for us. Additionally, with every Ford or Chevy based model with slide that we considered when we purchased, the slide blocked the driver seat from going back as far as I need it. In the Sprinter I'm about 6" from full rear travel. That seat travel issue has also eliminated a lot of cars when I've been car shopping.
The ability to slide the seat back would be a priority for someone with arthritis in the knee like myself. I had to raise the seat to be able to straiten my leg so my knee would not hurt so bad because my slide out restricted the seat from sliding back. It is one of those things that a quick test drive won't show but several hours of driving will.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Small Class C - Mercedes Diesel vs. Chevy Gasoline?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.