RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Life is full of compromise...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Super C

> Life is full of compromise...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Dave and Tammy,

Significant-downsizing is always a major adjustment. You will compromise in every category from a physical perspective. But as you are hoping for, going small and more simplistic has all it's own advantages. Considering a 25 foot Sprinter-based rig is going quite small. The good news is that many small floor plans are offered. Your biggest compromise will be sleeping arrangements. If you must sleep together in a walk-around bed, then there are just a few available floor plans to choose from. They come in a rear slide-out or side slide-out Going a bit longer than a Sprinter can offer, say around 26 feet, I think you will find more choices, especially if sleeping separately, each in your own single bed.

I am partial to the Phoenix Cruiser brand we have for the price/quality ratio, the rig we have HERE, owned since 2007. I am also fond of the capability/cost/maintenance ratio the E-series has which gets some criticisms over confinement and noise at high rpm. Be sure to compare all the pros to the cons between chassis choices and the unique benefits of each fuel type, gasoline and diesel. As you noticed, a Sprinter diesel typically is outfitted with a propane generator. Another Sprinter deficiency is idling for hours at a time has severe consequences. Then adding the cost of Sprinter maintenance and limited service centers. But the Sprinter is more tamed and comfortable.

CLICK HERE to look at all the various Phoenix Cruiser floor plans, many less than 26 feet. Model 2351D offers a double bed in a slideout. I feel the over-all length of 24'-11" is a whole lot of "capable" motor home in as small of a package possible without sacrificing anything. Phoenix offers optional auto-levelers and much much more.

* This post was last edited 09/09/19 11:37am by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A quick tack on to my thread... Our vehicles are a bit older and the newer cars are basic. This week I rented a new car with some features I kind of like... the cruise control has both a speed and following distance setting and will basically put itself in traffic and keep itself there. It also warns about rear cross traffic when I put it in reverse and warns about blind spot traffic when I signal to change lanes.

It got me wondering if the newer C's had these kind of options too?

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Ford is upgrading the dash systems in the E series chassis this year or next year, so in a couple of years some of these sorts of things may start appearing--at least adaptive cruise control. Rear cross traffic presumably relies on a backup camera, which my not be integrated into many class C's (at least with the factory systems); similarly I don't know if the sensors needed for blind spot monitoring would be included. If you don't have convex mirrors, adding a stick-on one is a tremendous help in checking blind spots in ajacent lanes.

The Ford E series is not generally at the cutting edge of vehicle technology; things take awhile to trickle down there. My '98 lacks a good bit of advanced vehicle technology, such as the dash mounted glove box and the digital odometer display, but it does get me where I want to go reliably and in reasonable comfort.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davelinde wrote:

A quick tack on to my thread... Our vehicles are a bit older and the newer cars are basic. This week I rented a new car with some features I kind of like... the cruise control has both a speed and following distance setting and will basically put itself in traffic and keep itself there. It also warns about rear cross traffic when I put it in reverse and warns about blind spot traffic when I signal to change lanes.

It got me wondering if the newer C's had these kind of options too?

They may be coming,I have seen Former Rentals that have rear cross traffic warning when in reverse.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Super C

> Life is full of compromise...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS