RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Bus Bars - 150A rated ok?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Bus Bars - 150A rated ok?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Balance -shmallance! I have to separate all my AGMs and do them one at a time at home to ensure they each get to 0.5amps/100AH to be truly full before I put them all on the same Float at home on stick-house shore power.

I have no clue what you have to do with Lis in a bank, but if it is anything like AGMs you can wire them up for the camping part anyway you like.

It doesn't matter what you do when away camping off- grid doing 50
-90s as to how much each battery is delivering /losing. Just get there, do it, and get home. Once home, do it all up right, per Mex's rules and wait for the next get-away.

I suspect the OP can use any wire he wants for the fifth batt as long as he ensures each of the five batts gets done up right as often as its specs call for. (Same with Wets or AGMs)

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13,

So long as the resistance in every "leg" is the same.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

BFL13,

So long as the resistance in every "leg" is the same.

You can try for perfect balance, but in real life you will never get there IMO.

I agree with not having a down-stream set of batts in parallel, but instead put your load/charging "across" the whole bunch.

Having three batts throws a scuz into that. I pretend it is two batts. With five batts, the odd batt out may not suffer as much. As previously posted, my choice would be to parallel two and three and then parallel the two and three to get the best of equal loading and charging.

At the end it is the same when you get home. Each battery has to be done up one at a time to get it to true full before you bank them all on a single Float.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah yes Balance (Sorry about this Folks)

In this book there must be balance
So my banker says to me
Money is the point of things
And balance is the key
For a rubber check is worthless
And you must reimburse
My Girl you must have balance
To assist your empty purse

TTTO Crane Dancy by Julia Ecklar Note this is not my original work.. I'm quoting the filker. And I never did catch the filker's name.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like a lot of wear and tear on connectors individually charging each battery independently. I just buy cheap batteries and when they stop meeting my needs, replace again with cheap batteries.

The neat thing about agm and other lead technology is it's completely and economically recycled. Can't say the same about lithium technologies. Most of that "recycling" involves disassembly, repackaging viable cells and landfilling the rest.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With 350 MCM which is 160% as large as OOOO

I used an EMT pipe bender to shape the cables because it could not be done by hand.

And to cut it, I had to modify a professional orchard tree limb pruning cutter with a 4' steel pipe handle. The insulation cutter was another chore, it was an ag grade plastic schedule 160 pipe cutter. When 700 amps of current are involved things get rude. I wish I had a solder pot.

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Woah - I don't plan to do each battery individually, not sure how that floated up... I have a full time job already [emoticon]
My batteries are all individually wired to the bus, where they take their charge (either from solar when camping or charger when at home), no paralleling, etc. That's why I was asking if there was any significant impact of having different wire gauge for the 5th battery.

2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1Kw solar, 500 AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

0000 cable is .049 ohm/1000ft, or .000049 per foot.
00 is .078/1000ft, or .000078 per foot.

Those both seem like negligible amounts to me, especially since the wire runs are so short. I'm not smart enough to calculate the actual difference in voltage or amps arriving at the battery. Perhaps someone could.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

0000 cable is .049 ohm/1000ft, or .000049 per foot.
00 is .078/1000ft, or .000078 per foot.

Those both seem like negligible amounts to me, especially since the wire runs are so short. I'm not smart enough to calculate the actual difference in voltage or amps arriving at the battery. Perhaps someone could.
It does seem low until you compare with the battery internal resistance. If the cable adds 10% to the battery internal resistance compared to the battery next to it in parallel then the charge becomes unbalanced.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If the cable adds 10% to the battery internal resistance compared to the battery next to it in parallel then the charge becomes unbalanced.
I don't follow.. all 5 batteries have the same internal resistance.. or are supposed to. No one is disputing the difference in resistance of 00 vs 0000, I'm just questioning the significance in this particular situation.

If someone could calculate, for instance, the difference in amps arriving at the battery at 14v @20a charge @ 2ft of cable, that would be cool.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Bus Bars - 150A rated ok?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.