|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> I didn't buy an RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
yr2017

Montana/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

An RV is easier to handle than a boat.......just don't understand this post. All that rocking back and forth if the waters are rough. Once the RV is parked, it's stable.

RV's - good ones don't rock - but in strong Chinook winds just about everything moves around. If you have a "steel" body construction vehicle like a Bluebird - now that's a stable platform. It hardly moves at all.

Boats - I have a 53ft Skookum in Panama - it loves high winds and I don't get sea sick as I would on slow moving trawler or tug. I sailed it from Seattle to Panama by myself and learned along the way. Self taught sailor, I now have an ASA cert - I didn't start out with. Just kinda winged it.

GR421 - you'll be happy with your solid purchase. I know I am - after 66 yrs of living on land, I'm heading back to Panama in my hurricane hole. Maybe we will cross paths sometime at Allbrook.

Big AL -
Unimog, 28ft Jamco horse trailer * sold 05 SEP 19
1977 Skookum 53, DD453, slps 6, 2 heads in Panama

ghostrider421

Manaus, Brasil

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yr2017 wrote:

Mr.Mark wrote:

An RV is easier to handle than a boat.......just don't understand this post. All that rocking back and forth if the waters are rough. Once the RV is parked, it's stable.

RV's - good ones don't rock - but in strong Chinook winds just about everything moves around. If you have a "steel" body construction vehicle like a Bluebird - now that's a stable platform. It hardly moves at all.

Boats - I have a 53ft Skookum in Panama - it loves high winds and I don't get sea sick as I would on slow moving trawler or tug. I sailed it from Seattle to Panama by myself and learned along the way. Self taught sailor, I now have an ASA cert - I didn't start out with. Just kinda winged it.

GR421 - you'll be happy with your solid purchase. I know I am - after 66 yrs of living on land, I'm heading back to Panama in my hurricane hole. Maybe we will cross paths sometime at Allbrook.

Couldn't agree with you more. My trucks were all made of steel as well as my schoolies. I just know that I enjoy my new found friends easier to live with than my old rv companions. It seems since we moved on board we have many more like minded people wanting to visit. Maybe we will cross paths. What size engine powers that sailboat?
I have a single DD671.

Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion

ghostrider421

Manaus, Brasil

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

As a lifelong waterman, a licensed mariner and pathological sailor, I can assure you that those people are every where. I keep having to remind people that the only thing it takes to run a powerboat or motorhome that does not require a special license in the home state is....
A Credit Rating (and a pulse?)
There are some idiots on sailboats too, but they can't get very far and can't go very fast.

Oh, I almost forgot...
There is one BIG difference between an RV and a Boat....
Water can leak OUT of an RV.

Matt

I have the proper papers to operate this 15m vessel - applied for and accepted before leaving Georgetown. Re-accepted by Brasilian officials on the "Q" dock in Belem.

It's not like the USofA - where anyone can drive an rv or boat - without instruction or proper licenses. Canada has cracked down on boat operators several years ago. Down here you can't move anything over 12m offshore without the proper licensing and documents.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ghostrider421 wrote:

Matt_Colie wrote:

As a lifelong waterman, a licensed mariner and pathological sailor, I can assure you that those people are every where. I keep having to remind people that the only thing it takes to run a powerboat or motorhome that does not require a special license in the home state is....
A Credit Rating (and a pulse?)
There are some idiots on sailboats too, but they can't get very far and can't go very fast.

Oh, I almost forgot...
There is one BIG difference between an RV and a Boat....
Water can leak OUT of an RV.

Matt

I have the proper papers to operate this 15m vessel - applied for and accepted before leaving Georgetown. Re-accepted by Brasilian officials on the "Q" dock in Belem.

It's not like the USofA - where anyone can drive an rv or boat - without instruction or proper licenses. Canada has cracked down on boat operators several years ago. Down here you can't move anything over 12m offshore without the proper licensing and documents.
All the licenses in the world won't remove human error from the equation. Licensed drivers, licensed pilots and licensed captains have had accidents.
Solid, rigid construction was proven years ago to offer inferior protection in accidents, hence why modern automobiles are engineered to dissapate energy thru crumple zones and the like. Your basic RV full of plastic, luan panels, aluminum and other lightweight materials is much safer in a collision than your grandfather's solid steel Cadillac Coupe DeVille.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have several boats and an RV. Life is short.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your pride noted.
Tried the boating thing and it was fun, but hard to get that boat over the Big Horns when the streams all flow over rocks and are only a couple feet deep at most.
I am sure you are very happy with your master's certificate and the length of your boat. Most of us who are RVing feel the same way about our chosen hobby. We have a hurricane moving up the coast right now - think I'll head west for a few days or weeks until this thing passes. Friends on the coast with boats are just stuck there, hoping their insurance covers their losses.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds awesome ghost rider!
There's a solid chance a liveaboard boat could enter our future if time and finances allow it down the road, after retirement.
18+ RVs in your past? No wonder you tired of them. Either you spent ALOT of time in them or spent a lot trading up every other year.
Either way, sounds like you're doing what you love. However I don't understand your subliminal dig on RVers...

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a dufus and worthless post.

This would be like going to a golf or any other hobby forum and stating that you had no interest. Why? Just sail away instead.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there done that with the boat thing.
Got tired of burning 25 gal a hour of fuel.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a dufus and worthless post.

And we wonder why people are leaving the forum. SHAMEFUL.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> I didn't buy an RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS