RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Let's talk generators - again.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still doing research on a generator for my 5er.

First off, "the boss" has decided that SHE does not want a portable unit, for the sole purpose of being able to run the air conditioner(s) in the 5er at any time, even while driving. Also, being able to power up the 5er at rest stops, events, and such without having to drag out something on wheel and wires.

My 5er is a 50 amp with 2 AC's and Residential refrigerator. I have no issues with the refrigerator, powered by a 1000 watt inverter, powered by 2-twelve volt batteries when off grid.

So, that has pretty much narrowed down my list to the Cummins Onan RV generators. My 5er is designed to fit a generator in the front bay:

[image]

And the two under consideration:

Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 Gasoline Generator
Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 LP Generator

One thing I'm not able to determine, especially with the gasoline version, is the fuel tank. Does anyone know if the generator itself has a fuel tank? Or does a separate fuel tank need to be installed somewhere in the 5er.

I have a portable generator I use at home, and it has it's own gas tank attached. Holds 2.5 gallons.

For those of you with a 5er, no doubt the generator is installed in the front bay. Where is your gasoline supply for the generator at (if you have one).

If you have LP version's fuel, no doubt it has to be supplied by an external tank somewhere. Did you just tap into your existing 5er gas lines, or install a separate gas tank/bottle. I always carry a 3rd - 30 pound propane tank with us in the pass through because we do use this camper in the winter (a lot) and wanted a back-up full tank, all the time.

Last question? Portable units are ruled out. Other than Onan, are there any other manufacturers that make an in-house RV generator, similar to the Onan. Or is Onan the only one "out there". If there are others, what are they?

Yes, I know these things are "pricey", but I'll deal with that once I get the logistics figured out.

Your experience is greatly appreciated.

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Needs a separate fuel tank.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, Onan gensets do not have fuel tanks.
You will need to increase the size of your propane tanks to have sufficient fuel to run the rig and the genset.
Gensetwill be sucking lots of fuel to run two AC units, converter to charge batteries.
Two 12 volters will not last long!
What size are your current propane tanks?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell us about your LP tank(s). Can they be upsized? LP would be the easiest but a generator will suck the tank dry quickly.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two - 30 pounders. And a 3rd 30 pounder in reserve, not attached.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

No, Onan gensets do not have fuel tanks.
You will need to increase the size of your propane tanks to have sufficient fuel to run the rig and the genset.
Gensetwill be sucking lots of fuel to run two AC units, converter to charge batteries.
Two 12 volters will not last long!
What size are your current propane tanks?

It all depends on the usage , but yes they like their propane. I have the Onan 5500 LP , ordered it with the fifth wheel. Have not had propane issues ,but again we don't run it a lot.

Not sure why the OP wants to run the air conditioner while traveling, unless they want it cooled down when stopping. I would think firing up the generator, and turning the air on would work after stopping, but if not then be prepared to have a source for propane or haul an extra tank or two.

Never found the need for up sizing the tanks , but thats an option , if there is room in there. IMO the Onan LP is the only way to go. Propane does not foul the fuel system, but does use a bit more fuel .

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would upgrade your mounted to 40 pound tanks, add an extended stay kit to use non-mounted tank. Easier to get refilled then having to take mounted tanks out. That is if you have room for larger tanks.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Tell us about your LP tank(s). Can they be upsized? LP would be the easiest but a generator will suck the tank dry quickly.

Most likely he has the two 7 gal tanks , so 14 gallons. The Onan 5500 LP consumption is . 6 at half load .7 gallons at full load. So at the worst he has about 20 hours of run time. Not a lot, but for us, not a problem .

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Not sure why the OP wants to run the air conditioner while traveling, unless they want it cooled down when stopping. ...

Reason 1: Yes, we have 2 dachshunds and a cat. Although they do not ride in the 5er when traveling, we do put them in the 5er if we stop at a restaurant or road side attraction. Keeping them in the truck is not an option in the heat of the Summer. We will put them in the camper when stopped, as the camper is usually cooler. But it does heat up pretty hot sometimes. The option to put the pets in the camper, and even for our own usage at truck stops and suck, would be nice.

Reason 2: It's just the "requirement" that my wife insisted on, if getting a generator.

We have never been in a position where we boondocked yet, except for stops, maybe an hour or two at the most while traveling. We've always had electric campsites.

However, in approximately 20 months, I am planning on retiring and hitting the road full time. So, everything we are doing right now, and what we have done over the last year, has been in preparation for this. Once we start traveling farther West of the Mississippi river, we want options to be completely independent - off grid. Not as a rule, but for those times we may find ourselves somewhere for an overnight without electricity, which is a real possibility.

Thus the reason for the in-house generator opposed to a portable one.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the on board Onan 5500 and when running both ACs (15K units) we will go thru a 40Lb tank in about 10 hours.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS