RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Let's talk generators - again.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do see where Transfer flow has a gas tank that replaces our propane tank, so thats an option where gas would be more available. Then maybe go a 40 lb. tank on the other side to give a bit more for the propane use .

I would prefer to haul gas cans around in my truck then I would propane bottles.

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to connect you with a guy I met recently. Removing his Onan due to weight and LP consumption. Sounds like you are aware of the issues going in to the very pricey purchase.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I have two - 30 pounders. And a 3rd 30 pounder in reserve, not attached.
For extended use you can always get a couple more 30 pounders. 40 is OK too but would be getting a bit heavy for me.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

I have two - 30 pounders. And a 3rd 30 pounder in reserve, not attached.
For extended use you can always get a couple more 30 pounders. 40 is OK too but would be getting a bit heavy for me.

Absolutely correct there. 30 pound tanks are about my limit. After reading these posts to my wife, I commented to her that lifting a 40 pounder would probably be a "bit much" for me. At 64 years, things seem to be getting heavier and heavier for me.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tailgated UF football games for years. The reserved RV sites on campus held a few hundred RVS. Everyone rolled in Friday afternoon and stayed until around noon on Sunday. Everyone ran their gensets constantly. No standalone gensets allowed.

The fiver guys all had propane Onans fueled by 30 pound bottles. I want to say they brought 4-5 in the truck bed and had two in the RV. Auto cutover so they knew their timing and replaced the empty.

This in Florida heat full sun open parking lot.

I personally would not add gasoline into the mix.

Some toy haulers had gas tanks for the gensets and ATVs.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about some of you Guys. I'm a 71 year old Female and I just had one of my 40Lb tanks refilled and I installed it back into it's compartment, heavy YES, but doable.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go gasoline check West Marine for gas tanks. They have both steel and plastic tanks in different configurations and gallonage. They also have the fills and vents for them. They also carry a gas gauge that connects to the fuel tank and operates off 12 vdc. Another thing to keep in mind about the Neanderthal Onans, yes I have one, they have no 12vdc built in charge system. Don't ask how I found out. Instead of using house batteries to start the Onan, I installed a separate start battery. Another thing, Onan is light years behind the up to date stuff. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have dual fuel like so many other brands on the market today?

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you are heavily leaning propane Cummins, but I will ask,,,
Do you anticipate being an "anti" snowbird and camping in the south in the summer? If not, then chances are you can get by very well for what you will be doing with a 3500 watt portable, if you wish it can be mounted on a frame attached to the rear 2" receiver on a Montana. There are ways to lock it.
A 3200 watt Champ with remote will give you pushbutton convenience, and do so at less than 1/4 the cost of the Cummins lp unit with no loss of storage.

I would have to try it for a while before I would commit to a $4k-$5k modification to the unit.
You should have an idea now of how well the camper cools off a single unit, and whether or not that should work based on this years usage. But if you follow the normal winters south, summers north pattern, I would think the single AC would suffice under most circumstances.

Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Your experience is greatly appreciated.

Onan 5500 LP; dealer installed at purchase on "Generator Ready" 5th wheel.

2 each 40 pound LP tanks as standard OEM on the 5ver with OEM plumbing to genset.

We do not dry-camp or boondock. On occasion we pull over (rest-stop) for a break, but all else is full hook-ups. We have zero intention for the smoke-sniffing side of RVing, so the generator is for pure convenience. I have on occasion brought a 2000w Yamaha and extra gasoline as a "just-in-case" type of mentality, but never once used it.

The longest we have ever run the Onan is 2-3 hours while performing RV maintenance at the storage facility. We rarely use the gas range, our reefer is residential, and the water heater is a propane sipping Truma, so twin 40lb tanks gives us a good practical supply. I have zero problem lifting them while knocking on Septuagenarian age.

As Cummins mentioned, the push button convenience is...convenient.

Also, LP gensets do not foul fuel systems or oil like gasoline models, for whatever type (portable or installed) you decide.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Big Dog2

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 30 lb propane tanks are definitely gaining weight as I age. Since it appears you likely will be operating a genset on propane, you will definitely be looking at extra propane bottles.

Have you considered purchasing (yes, I am spending your money) composite propane bottles. They are very light and are translucent so you can see the level of the liquid propane left in the bottle. They are pricey but kinda cool.

https://www.vikingcylinders.com/products/

Just a thought. Enjoy your retirement.

I am living proof that you are never too old to do something foolish.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS