RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Let's talk generators - again.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Ask your insurance company if your covered if your vehicle is left unattended with engine running.

Insurance company didn’t bat an eye in PA for my father-in-law 2 or 3 years ago. He started his car one winter morning and ran inside for a minute. Came back out and it wasn’t there.

Cops talked to him, “yeah, you shouldn’t do that but yeah, it’s freaking cold out this morning.”

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Ask your insurance company if your covered if your vehicle is left unattended with engine running.

Insurance company didn’t bat an eye in PA for my father-in-law 2 or 3 years ago. He started his car one winter morning and ran inside for a minute. Came back out and it wasn’t there.

Cops talked to him, “yeah, you shouldn’t do that but yeah, it’s freaking cold out this morning.”

Because cars being stolen with keys in it is becoming a thing, insurance companies are creating exclusions.
As mentioned Remote start is the simple solution for this issue.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TF36DSMatt wrote:

...I installed a fuel line shutoff after my most recent carb swap and run the carb dry for storage so hopefully that will help.

So you are saying they do not come with a shut-off to to petcock(if they even have one). That's something to think about also. I have a stand-alone generator on wheels at home, log splitter, and self-propelled walk-behind snow thrower. All are gas operated and all have the cut-off valves. I always cut the gas and let the carburetor run dry. I've had that generator for over 13 years now. I keep Staybill in the gas and keep the shut off - off. It runs 3 to 5 times a year for power outages at the house, and I run it about 15 minutes every month. It still runs like a champ. No problems with the log splitter or snow thrower either. So this kind of surprises me there's no cut off on the Onan.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't own a gas powered Onan but I do read of lots of gas and carb issues with the gas powered models.
I thinks it's mostly a maintenance/ethanol issue vs. poor design.
However one of the main reasons I have come to prefer LP is that it burns clean and avoids all the carb issues.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if using Non-Ethanol fuel would help.
I try to use only non-ethanol fuel in my lawn mowers, chain saws, weed wackers etc. Had to replace a fuel line in a chain saw because of the ethanol.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TF36DSMatt wrote:

The Keystone Raptor and Fusion both come with gas Onan 5500s with 30 gallon fuel tanks. Not sure how similar they are to a Montana but might give you an idea of how Keystone lays out a gas genny on their fifth wheels if you wanted to go that direction.

I have a built-in gas Onan 5500 on my toy hauler with push button start and it works well for the situations you describe. Only issue is I am on my 3rd carb. I do use Stabil and still get issues (genny shutting down under load, won't start, surging, various codes, etc.). Search "Onan problems" on here and you'll get lots of hits and most of these problems are with gas models and can be remedied with a carb swap. The carb is actually very easy to change out in about 15 minutes at a cost of around $300 (Amazon). I installed a fuel line shutoff after my most recent carb swap and run the carb dry for storage so hopefully that will help.

Marine grade stabilizer and pure-gas. AVgas for the win

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the red Stabilizer is worthless, only use the green marine type.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

ependydad wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Because cars being stolen with keys in it is becoming a thing, insurance companies are creating exclusions.
As mentioned Remote start is the simple solution for this issue.

I know that a lot of cars in the last 10 years, or so, that have systems like OnStar, have a remote start/stop built in...IF you pay the annual subscription fee.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Johnnybgood

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best of both worlds. Fill that space with Lithium Ion iron batteries and an inverter to run the A/C. I have two Battleborn battery’s and love them. So fill the space and when your power starts gettin low, use the inverter generator to charge them back up. Then put it away.

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this post is a little old, but I got just back from a 2 week trip with the following observations in regards to getting propane tanks filled.

Finding places to fill propane is incredible difficult if you aren't in major towns.

If you need a fill on Sunday or after hours, most propane fill places are closed on Sundays/after hours.

I was in Newport TN and I spent 2 days trying to fill one of my empty 30lb tanks. I have a gas generator, my propane was for our furnace and fridge while moving.

Our campground was out of propane. I called Lowes 20 minutes in town and they said, yea, we refill. I specifically asked if they refill. I get there, and they only had 20 lb exchanges. Walmart next, door same thing. The couple gas stations listed on google as having propane fill had no propane of any kind. I gave up.

Went back to our campground and asked them who fills. They said, oh, the campground (KOA) next to us fills. I Called them up that night and they said, yea, we refill propane but we are closed currently. No problem, just swing there in the AM before we leave and fill it up. I drive over there- Nope, no filling. WTF. They said to go on down to the corner hardware store.

20 minutes back into town I get to the hardware store and they were able to fill me up. They were closed when I went into town the first time so it wouldn't had mattered if I knew they were there.

I run my tank out again (I have 2 ) the night before we were leaving for home. The campground I was at had a fill station. I paid my $28 to have it filled. We get out there, and they can't get the propane in. Not sure what is going on. I told them the hardware store in TN had no problem filling it....They gave up and said you might want to try the walmart down the street. Well, Walmart doesn't fill. I said screw it, I will just fill it once I get it home.

If I had 20 lb tanks and didn't mind the expensive $20-$25 exchange, I would had been OK. Trying to get your own tanks filled proved difficult while on the road. I did, however, pass quite a few gas stations trying to get them filled. A couple gas cans in the back of the truck and it would had been easy to get that petrol generator back running.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS