RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Let's talk generators - again.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Not sure why the OP wants to run the air conditioner while traveling, unless they want it cooled down when stopping. ...

Reason 1: Yes, we have 2 dachshunds and a cat. Although they do not ride in the 5er when traveling, we do put them in the 5er if we stop at a restaurant or road side attraction. Keeping them in the truck is not an option in the heat of the Summer. We will put them in the camper when stopped, as the camper is usually cooler. But it does heat up pretty hot sometimes. The option to put the pets in the camper, and even for our own usage at truck stops and suck, would be nice.

Reason 2: It's just the "requirement" that my wife insisted on, if getting a generator.

We have never been in a position where we boondocked yet, except for stops, maybe an hour or two at the most while traveling. We've always had electric campsites.

However, in approximately 20 months, I am planning on retiring and hitting the road full time. So, everything we are doing right now, and what we have done over the last year, has been in preparation for this. Once we start traveling farther West of the Mississippi river, we want options to be completely independent - off grid. Not as a rule, but for those times we may find ourselves somewhere for an overnight without electricity, which is a real possibility.

Thus the reason for the in-house generator opposed to a portable one.

It sounds like it boils down to a propane generator The Onan 5500LP is probably a good choice, that will enable you to run both air conditioners . . You could go gas , but then there is the tank issue, not sure where that would go. You will most likely want to ,and I am assuming you are running two 30 lb. tanks upgrade to 40 lb. That will help, and even keep the two 30's ,and haul them also, but you going to be burning a bit of propane is sounds like .

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had one but the questions seem like you need to speak with an installer for the placement and logistics of fuel.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport I think for the dollars you are prepared to spend, and the size of the roof area on your RV, that a solar/battery/inverter system might be possible. Use the space allotted, for the generator, for an LI 48 volt battery bank. Plan for 72 hours of reserve capacity, based on a "real life" consumption test.

For "back up" power move the existing inverter to the tow vehicle. That would be a last ditch solution for power. Or you could do a 1000 to 2000 watt portable generator (unnecessary I think) stored in the bed of the truck.

If you still decide on a generator, I'd go propane and increase fuel storage so that there is enough fuel for 72 hours. (based on the real life consumption).

* This post was edited 09/01/19 10:52am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

We have the on board Onan 5500 and when running both ACs (15K units) we will go thru a 40Lb tank in about 10 hours.

Sounds like they are not as efficient as advertised , should be getting 10 hours out of 30 lb. tank I have never really kept track of my consumption , just don't run it for hours at a time. Did watch the Super Bowl one time dry camping, and that was probably the longest we ran it ,probably 6 hours straight.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

DutchmenSport I think for the dollars you are prepared to spend, and the size of the roof area on your RV, that a solar/battery/inverter system might be possible. Use the space allotted. for the generator, for an LI 48 volt battery bank. Plan for 72 hours of reserve capacity, based on a "real life" consumption test.

For "back up" power move the existing inverter to the tow vehicle. That would be a last ditch solution for power. Or you could do a 1000 to 2000 watt portable generator (unnecessary I think) stored in the bed of the truck.

If you still decide on a generator, I'd go propane and increase fuel storage so that there is enough fuel for 72 hours.

Wow ,72 hours , looking at what , 6-7 40 lb. tanks , maybe a bit less ,but still . ?? Is their other options on tanks that he could haul ??

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Never had one but the questions seem like you need to speak with an installer for the placement and logistics of fuel.

I'm curious where a gas tank goes for an onboard gas generator . Not sure where one would go in my Montana fifth wheel, no room where the generator is, nor next to it. Certainly wouldn't put one in the basement. Seems underneath would be the only option, and then where ?? Lot of stuff going on under there.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did say "real life" consumption. I'm assuming there would not be a need to run the roof air 24/7.

What would you suggest for reserve capacity for someone who wishes to boondock?

cummins2014 wrote:

Wow ,72 hours , looking at what , 6-7 40 lb. tanks , maybe a bit less ,but still . ?? Is their other options on tanks that he could haul ??

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

I'm curious where a gas tank goes for an onboard gas generator . ... my Montana fifth wheel, no room ...

That's exactly why I'm asking here, to see if anyone else has done it. Like yours, there's no room anywhere for an on-board gasoline tank.

Your response here, pretty much clincles it, that a gasoline operated generator would not work considering they do not come with a tank attached.

Looks like propane is the most practical way to go for my specific 5er with the least evasive set-up work involved.

Still researching, but this is helping to solidify choices before taking to an actual dealer or installer.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I did say "real life" consumption. I'm assuming there would not be a need to run the roof air 24/7.

What would you suggest for reserve capacity for someone who wishes to boondock?

cummins2014 wrote:

I have the best of two worlds I guess. I haul around a Honda 2000, with a six gallon extended run tank, but we are never in weather where we need air conditioning dry camping. We usually run it in the morning to charge the batteries ,usually the furnace will run off, and on during the night, and in the evening if we have set up the satellite dish. If we run something more we can fire up the 5500 Onan briefly, say for the microwave or whatever.

The Honda 2000 is full the extended run tank is full ,thats nearly 7 gallons of gas, plus I will usually haul another 5 gallons. I can't remember the last time we stayed out long enough to even start on the 5 gallons.

To answer your question , I would say a couple extra 30 lb. tanks, but IMO boondocking, I just can't see it being very practical trying to run an LP 5500 for hours on end. , unless we were pretty close to a propane source . It just depends on the time, couple days not an issue, of course unless you need it running 24/7. Lot of if's only the OP can answer .

* This post was edited 09/01/19 12:17pm by cummins2014 *

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

I'm curious where a gas tank goes for an onboard gas generator . ... my Montana fifth wheel, no room ...

That's exactly why I'm asking here, to see if anyone else has done it. Like yours, there's no room anywhere for an on-board gasoline tank.

Your response here, pretty much clincles it, that a gasoline operated generator would not work considering they do not come with a tank attached.

Looks like propane is the most practical way to go for my specific 5er with the least evasive set-up work involved.

Still researching, but this is helping to solidify choices before taking to an actual dealer or installer.

The one thing I can say, there is nothing better then that Onan LP, just push the button. They are very convenient . Between our portable ,and the Onan, I feel like I got it pretty much covered. But I don't boondock a great amount, so that Honda 2000 is usually left home. No need for it .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS