RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Let's talk generators - again.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I would not feel comfortable inside Cracker Barrel eating lunch with my truck engine running to keep A.C going for the dog! Sorry but I do not have that much faith in my fellow man that someone won't drive off with my truck,5th wheel and dog!
However leaving dog inside RV with the AC on is easy with the 5500 lp.
Push the button for the electric, and turn on the AC. No cords, no chains,no gas worries. Far fewer security risk.

Secondly yes the RV can be hot but it starts to cool immedaily. 2 AC's going with slides retracted you feel the cool air immediately.
The animals are not exposed to very high heat. Certainly no worse than getting into a hot car during the summer. My dog is very content in RV with AC on.

I leave my dog in my truck when we are out and decide to stop somewhere to eat or a location that does not allow dogs. I lock the door from outside and leave the truck running. Parked in a parking lot it's not too likely someone is going to notice a truck running in the middle of the day and attempt to steal it.

* This post was edited 09/04/19 08:54am by an administrator/moderator *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy Bell Wrote:
I lock the door from outside and leave the truck running. Parked in a parking lot it's not too likely someone is going to notice a truck running in the middle of the day and attempt to steal it.

I think you'd be surprised how many cars left running are stolen with the keys left in it
I personally witnessed an officer scolding someone for leaving their car running with the keys in it.
No matter how you slice it, Leaving a car unattended and running with the keys in it is a bad idea.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the possibility of someone smashing the window to get in a locked vehicle that is running is very remote when parked in a lot that is obviously covered with cameras. [emoticon] I have done it for decades.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

I think the possibility of someone smashing the window to get in a locked vehicle that is running is very remote when parked in a lot that is obviously covered with cameras. [emoticon] I have done it for decades.

Ask your insurance company if your covered if your vehicle is left unattended with engine running.
There are plenty of crimes caught on camera...but that doesn't stop the crime from happening.

Again it has become such an issue that you will be issued a ticket if caught in my area.
The cops have become frustrated/irritated trying to protect cars with keys in it and the engine running.
Whether you done it once or twice or for decades it's a bad idea in 2019.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even worse is leaving it running with pets inside!
Leaving an unattended vehicle is a crime in many places.
Leaving pet in a vehicle in hot weather is also a crime in many places!

Need to get back on generator issue!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Roy Bell Wrote:
I lock the door from outside and leave the truck running. Parked in a parking lot it's not too likely someone is going to notice a truck running in the middle of the day and attempt to steal it.

I think you'd be surprised how many cars left running are stolen with the keys left in it
I personally witnessed an officer scolding someone for leaving their car running with the keys in it.
No matter how you slice it, Leaving a car unattended and running with the keys in it is a bad idea.

Um, a remote start isn't all that expensive. Mine has settings that allow you to leave the truck running for a few minutes for "turbo cool down" or indefinitely. Push the button on the remote, dash lights flash, take the key out, truck stays running, lock the truck. If someone =does= get in, they have to step on the brake to unlock the shifter. Without the key in and turned to RUN, it shuts right down.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"No matter how you slice it, Leaving a car unattended and running with the keys in it is a bad idea."

Note I did write: with the keys in it!

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When We get to a place to eat when travelling, its usually an in and out deal.... We are not gourmet eaters in any way... I shut the truck off, remove keys, and exit the vehicle.. I then use my remote start feature on my phone and start it, i can run up to 29 minutes with that feature...

that is plenty of time, and it also gives me a count down so I know exactly how much time is left.

I find it easier than moving the pups into the camper, then firing up the Onan just for 30 minutes.... mainly due to the fact that I store STUFF inside the generator compartment and have to move it when its running due to the heat

I use the Onan when we need a break... when we need to push a slide out and nap for a bit.. or just rest for a bit..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a portable, but in my next unit I will be looking at onboard. I would prefer gas because of availability. No one has mentioned it, but I was thinking about a couple of 6 gallon boat tanks. They have quick disconnects and when one was empty just connect the other. Then refill the empty at any local gas station

Patrick and Christine
Dudley, Summer, and Sabastian, the cocker spaniels
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

TF36DSMatt

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 12:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Keystone Raptor and Fusion both come with gas Onan 5500s with 30 gallon fuel tanks. Not sure how similar they are to a Montana but might give you an idea of how Keystone lays out a gas genny on their fifth wheels if you wanted to go that direction.

I have a built-in gas Onan 5500 on my toy hauler with push button start and it works well for the situations you describe. Only issue is I am on my 3rd carb. I do use Stabil and still get issues (genny shutting down under load, won't start, surging, various codes, etc.). Search "Onan problems" on here and you'll get lots of hits and most of these problems are with gas models and can be remedied with a carb swap. The carb is actually very easy to change out in about 15 minutes at a cost of around $300 (Amazon). I installed a fuel line shutoff after my most recent carb swap and run the carb dry for storage so hopefully that will help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS