RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Surge power protector- hard wire or portable?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Surge power protector- hard wire or portable?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have room behind a panel to put the hard wire version. But what if for some reason it goes south? Now your going to have to wire around to restore power.Make it plug and play by putting plugs on each side? If I do that why not just use a portable unit and install behind the panel?
Or just use the portable unit plugging into the power pedestal? Taking the chance of someone walking off with it-water intrusion and just having to deal with every time you set up and leave. What's you thoughts? I'm sure there's more + and - to each one.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the portable version and have had no problems with it. I dont keep it chained down or anything, it has been in bad weather without an issue. No issue for me plugging it in as I need to hook up the cord either to the pedestal or the protector and literally takes 5 extra seconds to do.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are a DIYer check out the warranty requirements for the hard wired version I believe there state you need to have it installed by a tech.

P.S. I have a portable one that I chain to the power post, wouldn't be without it!

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

If you are a DIYer check out the warranty requirements for the hard wired version I believe there state you need to have it installed by a tech.

I don’t think this is the case anymore. Their website states improper installation would void the warrantee, and they strongly recommend having it professionally, but it is not a requirement.

I don’t have an EMS....yet. It is on my list, and like the op, I’m trying to decide between the hardwired and portable unit. The portable is a tad more expensive and there is always the potential for theft, even if locked.

The hardwired needs a place for it to be installed, requires a bit of work to do so (not afraid of a little work), and from what I hear - can’t confirm - they can be a little noisy. On the other hand, I’ll never forget to use it, and theft would be a non-issue.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look up the hughes autoformer.. now look at the Hughes INSTALL Kit.. (you can home brew one of these for less.. I did)

Now if you think just a bit you will figure out how I'd install the HW-50C

Shore line---Outlet/Plug---Hughes authformer-Outlet/plug---HW-50C__outlet/plug-----Automatic Transfer Switch----RV

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i chose hard wired for the convenience of having the remote monitor panel and to keep it from growing legs and walking away.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a portable for the very reason described above. It has saved us a couple of times with low power situations

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

I have room behind a panel to put the hard wire version. But what if for some reason it goes south? Now your going to have to wire around to restore power.Make it plug and play by putting plugs on each side? If I do that why not just use a portable unit and install behind the panel?
Or just use the portable unit plugging into the power pedestal? Taking the chance of someone walking off with it-water intrusion and just having to deal with every time you set up and leave. What's you thoughts? I'm sure there's more + and - to each one.

Certainly you can solve the potential theft issue by mounting a portable unit inside your rig behind a panel but then you wouldn't see what the display is telling you. Second disadvantage to a portable unit is it's delay is fixed, which in the case of a Progressive unit is 136", while their hard wire unit can be set at 136" or just 15". You could solve the potential theft issue by using a portable unit outside your rig by hanging it under a slide or within a wheel well and use an extension cable to reach the power post. I chose a hard wire version which I located under the sofa and mounted the remote display for it on the wall above the sofa where I could check it at will. For convenience of removal I did add connectors but that does increase the overall cost.

[image]

[image]

[image]

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2 min 16 sec delay is to protect A/C from restarting before pressure has had time to bleed off. We use a pedestal mount as I felt keeping a lightening strike outside was safer. However, a hard wired will protect from your own generator from causing problems with the electronics whereas a portable will not. Both ways have pro’s and cons.

Most important thing is to have one. Ours has saved us several times. In our case either mounting solution would have worked for all our saves. Your choice.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

I have room behind a panel to put the hard wire version. But what if for some reason it goes south? Now your going to have to wire around to restore power.Make it plug and play by putting plugs on each side? If I do that why not just use a portable unit and install behind the panel? Or just use the portable unit plugging into the power pedestal? Taking the chance of someone walking off with it-water intrusion and just having to deal with every time you set up and leave. What's you thoughts? I'm sure there's more + and - to each one.

I went with hardwired. Can't walk off. If you install a portable inside, you can't see the readout. Hardwired has the remote pendant, which includes a bypass switch.

In my first RV I did 30 amp twist lock plugs. The space was almost inaccessible, so I did that so I could remove it if necessary to repair it. When I moved it to my current RV, I have good access so I direct wired it.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Surge power protector- hard wire or portable?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS