RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Surge power protector- hard wire or portable?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Surge power protector- hard wire or portable?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 03:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

I have room behind a panel to put the hard wire version. But what if for some reason it goes south? Now your going to have to wire around to restore power.Make it plug and play by putting plugs on each side? If I do that why not just use a portable unit and install behind the panel?
Or just use the portable unit plugging into the power pedestal? Taking the chance of someone walking off with it-water intrusion and just having to deal with every time you set up and leave. What's you thoughts? I'm sure there's more + and - to each one.

I don't expect it to "go south", however -Yes- to your first paragraph. (And - no need to have it outside!)

I have 3 choices with my portable PI - which is always inside - (Out of sight, behind sliding panel). Short section of cable from power panel to 50amp female plug. PI located there. Then.......

1. "Normal" = Connected to the 12V powered cord reel (pull out amt of quality -flexible- cord necessary, push button to retract cord). No "anaconda" to fight!

2. Connect to "original" wiring to the Marinco connection at the rear of the 5th wheel. (If the pedestal is in the rear) Use 15' short 50 amp extension cord to the pedestal. Only needed this once in 13 years.

This also allows me to go back to "original" if I sell the 5th and wish to take the powered cord reel (& cord) with me to the next one.

3. Connect to 30amp cord - to use the gen in pickup bed.

Yes - the portable is "in line" to one (only *one* of the three choices possible) with 50 amp male & female plugs. It can be removed if desired.

[emoticon]

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using a my 50amp portable unit for 9 years full time. During this period I have been saved many times due to high and low voltage as well as open grounds and open neutrals even on my home base residential site. My original PT50C sacrificed itself a couple of times and was ultimately replaced under warranty with a PT50X. I am so paranoid about power issues I will not plug in anywhere anytime without my PT50X in line. As a matter of fact I have 2 of them so I can put my spare in service when the primary dies which has happened.

Concerning the theft concern many have - I have never heard of one being stolen. I have never talked to anyone who knew someone who had one stolen or even heard of someone else who had one stolen. So I will offer a challenge to this group which I have done in the past:

Has anyone here ever heard of a portable EMS unit being stolen?

I think it is a non-issue!

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cable my autoformer to the post although I have camped with an RV off and on since 1977 and have never had a problem with theft. I never used any type of surge protector or EMS except the autoformer for the past six years. The way I see it is that most of the cheap junk electronics are of less value than what many are paying for an EMS with the air conditioner being the only expensive item worth saving.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Lynnmor,

Which autoformer do you own?

I added surge protection to my Sola Basic autoformer. I wanted to be able to check incoming voltage so there is an outlet added on both the input and output sides. That makes it easy as pie to check simply by plugging in a pair of Kill-a-watt meters. It allows me to add surge protection to the input and/or the output side.

Even plugging in a power bar with MOV's offers some level of surge protection. It does not need to be in series with the shore power. Parallel works just fine. Sometimes you may find one at a dollar store. Prior to owning the autoformer, I did have one from a dollar store on my fridge and it did "die". I was using it as a "spacer" to add freeze protection to the unit.

Lynnmor wrote:

I never used any type of surge protector or EMS except the autoformer for the past six years.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the previous generation of Hughes, that does offer some surge protection. Before I turn on any appliances, I look at my plugin voltmeter that also displays other faults. If I find that the voltages is very good, I don't use the autoformer.

My decision to buy an autoformer was the experience of watching voltage drop to 99 as the Friday night gang rolled in and fired up their AC and water heaters.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are pros and cons to both:
https://learntorv.com/what-surge-protector-is-best-for-my-rv/

Biggest pros to Portable: no installation and you can test a site before backing in
Biggest con to Portable: the display is outside

Biggest pros to Hard-wired: always there + can't be forgotten
Biggest con to Hard-wired: installation

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before backing in of pulling in I always check with my home made pedestal checker,cheap but it works.

Saves me the hassel of dragging everything out.
[image]
parts list
15 amp to 30 amp Adapter
triplex outlet
Outlet tester
Volt Meter
I had all these around the house,why not use them...
I also use my 50amp to 30amp adapter to check the 50amp side. Sometimes I like them better as they are in better shape.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Before backing in of pulling in I always check with my home made pedestal checker,cheap but it works.

[image]
parts list
15 amp to 30 amp Adapter
triplex outlet
Outlet tester
Volt Meter
I also use my 50amp to 30amp adapter to check the 50amp side. Sometimes I like them better as they are in better shape.

I like that. I've debated building one for 50amp spots that would check L1 and L2. But never could find my roundtoit.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

[image]
parts list
15 amp to 30 amp Adapter
triplex outlet
Outlet tester
Volt Meter

I like that. I've debated building one for 50amp spots that would check L1 and L2. But never could find my roundtoit.

If you ever do, also add a 240v LED indicator light between the L1 and L2 wires. That will tell you if they cheated and wired both to the same leg, possibly causing a NEUTRAL overload.

240v green LED indicator light

[image]

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Surge power protector- hard wire or portable?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS