RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: OREGON STATE PARKS RANT

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> OREGON STATE PARKS RANT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go north and stay in a Washington park. Problem solved.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect it's not that they "don't care", but probably don't have the resources to stay open. As mentioned, many state parks operate at a deficit, or right on the raggedy edge of that, so likely it's a cost savings/cost avoidance issue.

There are some state parks here in Northern Georgia that stay open late into the winter, but are unmanned. There's a honor system box where you are supposed to pay cash and drop in a slot. Can't help but wonder how many people try to rip them off by not paying.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

I appreciate your sentiment. But I suspect Oregon is closing sections/loops of many State Parks starting around November. McIver isn't that popular and it's one of the largest Parks I have ever visited - the cost of maintaining the entire park has to be enormous - my guess is that total closure is the most cost effective thing. When I visited MM last year in Sept it was almost empty for 3 days straight.

Milo McIver is actually a small Park in the OPRD system with about 50 sites. The largest park in the system is Ft. Stevens with over 500 sites.
Parks in the Valley and gorge get extreme weather and for their size are costly to operate.
Many of the coastal parks keep at least half their sites open year around. Understand after Labor Day weekday camping drops off considerably, keeping staff needed for weekends is costly, so some parks close and some parks close part of the loops to run with reduced staff.
The two parks near Newport open all RV loops for the weekend of Seafood and Wine Festival in February.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 12:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob, try using the email link at the bottom of This link.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 03:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

Washington State parks also close loops. the state park on my island will be closing 2 out of the 3 loops soon.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the link. It actually worked. I will let you know what they say. I want to make it clear I think the staff and workers at these parks are awesome and do a wonderful job. I just cannot understand why they close too early.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

ksg5000 wrote:

I appreciate your sentiment. But I suspect Oregon is closing sections/loops of many State Parks starting around November. McIver isn't that popular and it's one of the largest Parks I have ever visited - the cost of maintaining the entire park has to be enormous - my guess is that total closure is the most cost effective thing. When I visited MM last year in Sept it was almost empty for 3 days straight.

Milo McIver is actually a small Park in the OPRD system with about 50 sites. The largest park in the system is Ft. Stevens with over 500 sites.
Parks in the Valley and gorge get extreme weather and for their size are costly to operate.
Many of the coastal parks keep at least half their sites open year around. Understand after Labor Day weekday camping drops off considerably, keeping staff needed for weekends is costly, so some parks close and some parks close part of the loops to run with reduced staff.
The two parks near Newport open all RV loops for the weekend of Seafood and Wine Festival in February.

I agree that Milo has a small RV park but I interpreted the OP as saying they closed the entire park ... the RV section is a very tiny portion of a the Park. MM is very large park and so large it's common to run into people hiking who are lost.

Kevin

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Washington State parks also close loops. the state park on my island will be closing 2 out of the 3 loops soon.

Who cares? Then he can complain about that too.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Here in the Willamatte valley of Oregon we have good camping weather well into fall and sometimes beyond. Oregon state parks are extremely popular in the fall with it being a challenge to find a spot. Despite data from their own web site proving this Oregon State Parks refuses to keep parks or loops open longer thus turning away revenue and camping opportunities to all.

You can find a list of the Oregon State Parks Board Commissioners here with that you can find each member online, if you are serious I would personally email/mail/call each of them with your concern. They also have their meetings posted on that same page and you might go to one. A few years ago I helped lobby from an out of State visitors perspective to help get some grant funds to expand an ORV park. I can say the representatives on the East side all got back to me, not so much with some others.

Unless you live on the East side of the State. They abandoned most of the campgrounds in our area, turned some into KOAs and our county took over one.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

Unless you live on the East side of the State. They abandoned most of the campgrounds in our area, turned some into KOAs and our county took over one.

That is interesting, here in Oregon we are still opening new parks both East and West side of the Cascades.
OPRD has a good funding system that gets very little money from the general fund. Main sources are User Fees, RV registration Fees (60% goes to parks), and a share of Lottery dollars.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> OREGON STATE PARKS RANT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS