|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Late check out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
brant_c

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So this past weekend we got reservations a month ago for Friday thru Monday.
Sunday afternoon I asked the camp ground owner if we could get a late checkout. He obliged. I told him that if there were people coming that we would leave. It's an 11:00 AM checkout.

He said he would put them in the next site until we leave...we were planning to leave by 2:00 PM. The reason is the wife and I wanted to ride some more mountain bike trails, make brunch, shower and pack/leave.

Well, the people showed up at noon. We were in the process of packing. They parked in the site next to us. I approached them and apologized. I told them we had permission to get late checkout...and that we were hurrying to get packed/leave.

The lady proceeds to tell me that we were in their spot. Duh! She also tells me that they were supposed to be there Sunday. I didn't respond and just apologized again.

They left in the car that was following the truck and fifth wheel.

We were gone by 12:55 PM.

Any body ever ask for a late check out?

This is our second time asking. Never been turned down. On our invoice it states 3:00 PM arrival. There is no checkin time anywhere on the campground web site policy.

2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You had permission for a late check out, no longer your problem. Don't worry about it.

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't understand why the owner agreed to your late checkout if he new the site was rented. It's his bad but I would have been irritated also if I had been the arriving campers. Sorry, but personally I think it was rude. You gained 2 hours and took away an hour from them plus a cleaned camp site.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have told her to take it up with the office.

You were reasonable and considerate.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You had permission, they were there early. Had THEY obeyed the CG's guidelines, they'd never know you were there.
I agree, Not Your Problem.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to bookmark this thread and show it to anyone who wants a late check out or an early arrival. They both have a way of not working out for anyone. Hence they aren't on the menu at our parks.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my years of vacation travel we occasionally ask for a late check out. Often we are asked to pay an additional fee, sometimes we have been asked to relocate to open our spot for others. When I know I want a late check out, like in Las Vegas, where we prefer to drive home in the evening, I will just pay for the extra day and leave after dinner. JMHO

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kalynzoo wrote:

In my years of vacation travel we occasionally ask for a late check out. Often we are asked to pay an additional fee, sometimes we have been asked to relocate to open our spot for others. When I know I want a late check out, like in Las Vegas, where we prefer to drive home in the evening, I will just pay for the extra day and leave after dinner. JMHO

This is how I handle late checkouts as well. If I feel the need to stay late, I simply book and extra day and leave at my leisure.

As far as the OP's issue. I would say it's a management problem if they allowed him to stay late and also agreed to allow the next group to arrive early[emoticon]

* This post was edited 09/03/19 07:08pm by an administrator/moderator *

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

I need to bookmark this thread and show it to anyone who wants a late check out or an early arrival. They both have a way of not working out for anyone. Hence they aren't on the menu at our parks.

If you have back to back reservations for the site(s), I can see not accommodating early arrivals / late exits. If 3/4 of your campground is empty, including the spot I'm vacating and you aren't willing to work with me, maybe I don't need to camp there. Just saying, this statement is kind of ridiculous. I'm sure if the OP asked and were told that someone else was booked in that spot and their arrival time wasn't known, they would've offered to move or abide by the advertised check out time.

The park owner agreed to allow late check out and then allowed the arriving party to check in. It's the park owner's problem period!!!! The park owner could have told the OP that the site was reserved and offered another spot or overflow parking or simply said we don't have anything available. They SHOULD have explained to the arriving party that check in isn't until 3 and their spot isn't yet available but we have another spot or overflow parking available until then. Perhaps they did, but it doesn't sound like it. Either way, it's not the arriving parties place to be telling another camper anything. If they had an issue, they should have taken it up with the camp office, not the OP.

Pretty much every hotel I've ever been to allows for early arrival / late checkout unless there are extenuating circumstances. Some charge a fee for this service and others don't. I realize that I don't generally book a specific room at a hotel, but even so, it's not an unreasonable request to make. Key word being request. I perfectly understand if there is a reason the request can't be accommodated. I don't think it's reasonable to book an extra night for 1-3 hours and leave a site empty after I pull out. By the way, I'm sure there are park owners and definitely potential patrons who will have issues with that practice. I realize it might be extra work to track early arrivals and/or late exits and I don't expect a free ride. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee for such services. I don't expect "extra" services like these, but I do appreciate them.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

You had permission, they were there early. Had THEY obeyed the CG's guidelines, they'd never know you were there.
I agree, Not Your Problem.

So, if OP is correct, and there is no check in time in the campground rules, then the new occupant wasn't necessarily there "early"... can't be early if there's no specific time in the rules.

My last trip to Gulf Shores State Park, I had to ask for a late departure. Needed a replacement tire on the wifes Acura. Grand daughter curbed it and tore the sidewall. Park was accommodating and we were gone by 1 PM.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Late check out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS