|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Salt Lake to Elkhart, IA Travel Advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mackyb

Salt Lake City, UT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I will be taking our 44’ 5th wheel from Salt Lake City to Elkhart, IA in late October for a suspension upgrade at the Morryde facility. We are going to allow ourselves 4 days to get there traveling I-80. Our plan is to boondock along the way with Cheyenne, Omaha, Davenport as our tentative stopping points before reaching Elkhart. Having never driven east on 80 past Lincoln, NE, I am seeking advice on do’s & don’ts along the route into Elkhart. The part that worries me most is around the Chicago area. Any helpful tips or safe places to stay along the route are appreciated!

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope that you mean Indiana.

Many rest areas and truck stops across Iowa. East of Joliet until Indiana, not as many.

Joliet east to Indiana is a slow go during rush hour.

mackyb

Salt Lake City, UT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I meant Elkhart Indiana not Iowa. Sorry about putting wrong state abbreviation in ioriginal post.

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can never be sure about traffic around Chicago. If you hit it right you can, without towing, keep up with traffic and buzz through at 70 mph plus. If possible I like to go through late at night or early in the morning. I go through there towing 2-6 times a year and have seldom had stop and go traffic

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did that trip from Seattle for the same reason. Timing through the city was most important as long as there are no accidents. You can pickup HY30 near Joliet as an alternate Rt, I have done both. Say hello to Brian, he will have you up at 6am to get started, there is a lounge with snacks but the chairs are not the most comfy, they need some couches.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem I have with U.S. 30 is all the traffic lights, low speed limits in many areas, plus the many business drives and cross streets. Not at all conducive for a half way relaxing drive any more than stuck in a traffic jam is. I did it with a car years ago and when I got back on in Joliet there was a very distinctive semi that I'd been seeing when I was in a traffic jam up on 80 and here he was at the same time I was tooling right along. So I can't see using U.S. 30 as any better

mackyb

Salt Lake City, UT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 what places did you find on the route across 80 to stay at? Curious as to how many miles a day you drove and the places you stayed.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm retired and only do 200-250 a day, we left home in NM in June to visit family in Seattle. I look for where I'll be at the end of the drive and look at https://www.rvparky.com/ in the area and check reviews here http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ . I have a son in IL and left for Elkhart from his place near Rockford. I was at the Blakhawk CG for a week and a half before heading out http://www.blackhawkvalleycampground.com/

yr2017

Montana/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mackyb wrote:

My wife and I will be taking our 44’ 5th wheel from Salt Lake City to Elkhart, IND in late October for a suspension upgrade at the Morryde facility. We are going to allow ourselves 4 days to get there traveling I-80. Our plan is to boondock along the way with Cheyenne, Omaha, Davenport as our tentative stopping points before reaching Elkhart. Having never driven east on 80 past Lincoln, NE, I am seeking advice on do’s & don’ts along the route into Elkhart. The part that worries me most is around the Chicago area. Any helpful tips or safe places to stay along the route are appreciated!

I just did this yesterday (part of it) to deliver my truck/trailer to new owners in Davenport, IA. I continued on I80 with a rental car straight thru and overnighted in Ottawa at Starved Rock SP. Since you won't be going thru or anywhere near Chicago - that's not an issue. Tomorrow we'll be in Middlebury and next week in Atlanta for the flight to Panama.

Big AL -
1977 Skookum 53, DD453, slps 6, 2 heads in Panama - cruising the Pearl Islands

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is an AWESOME upgrade. My neighbor just had his done and this is what every trailer should have for suspension and disk brakes too. It is so beefed up I could not believe it. I can't help you with the route, sorry, but I can say you won't regret this upgrade.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Salt Lake to Elkhart, IA Travel Advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS