RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The limiting weight on your 2500 is the pin weight of the trailer and the trucks GVWR and GAWR for the rear axle. A typical 5er when loaded has a pin weight around 20% of the trailers GVWR.

Weigh your truck loaded for travel with passengers, cargo, hitch and fuel. now you have a baseline for selecting a trailer that will not over load the trucks ratings. Adding air bags and help springs does nothing toward increasing the trucks ratings.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Bob Shaw

Newnan Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

You can tow a lot bigger TT than a fifth wheel and still stay within your ratings - Just Saying.

That's not what my owners manual says. My 5th wheel tow rating is higher than the tt tow rating.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Shaw wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

You can tow a lot bigger TT than a fifth wheel and still stay within your ratings - Just Saying.

That's not what my owners manual says. My 5th wheel tow rating is higher than the tt tow rating.

Yes, but your payload rating hasn't changed; and 10% vs. 20% means you can carry twice as much TT. And everyone knows you run out a payload long before you get to the tow rating. Simple Math.

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

The limiting weight on your 2500 is the pin weight of the trailer and the trucks GVWR and GAWR for the rear axle. A typical 5er when loaded has a pin weight around 20% of the trailers GVWR.

Weigh your truck loaded for travel with passengers, cargo, hitch and fuel. now you have a baseline for selecting a trailer that will not over load the trucks ratings. Adding air bags and help springs does nothing toward increasing the trucks ratings.

Ken

Ken, The scaled weight I provided included my cap and tool box, I estimate both weight 200lbs probably close to a fifth wheel hitch, since I do not have a fifth wheel now I o not have a fifth wheel hitch to weigh. The only other thing I would add to the truck is myself, 230lbs. I do understand air bags and springs will not increase my trucks ratings.

SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 5.9 HO Cummins 3.73 Gears, Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.">

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Wife, Kids, and Dogs aren't going Camping with you?? Since you're only adding your weight.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

usmc616 wrote:

Hi all, I currently tow a TT but am looking to get a fifth wheel. My questions are about "pin weight". My current TV is a 2004.5 Ram 2500 with the HO 5.9 Cummins rated to tow 13,050lbs. GCWR is 20,000lbs ( I found this on several tow guides), GVWR is 9,000lbs ( from label on door) and curb weight is 6727 lbs ( from same label on door) but weighed 7540 on scale( full tank of diesel, 140lb driver, cap on bed and tool box in bed) . My truck is a 4x4 with a 6' 3" bed.
With the above info I am trying to find out what will be my limiting factor when looking at fifth wheel campers. If I understand it correctly I should estimate 15-20% of the fifth wheel GVWR to be my pin weight, is that correct??Iif so then I only have 1490lbs available of pin weight? ( GVWR- Curb weight) is that correct? Educate me please

Many 3/4 ton owners ignore the GVWR of their truck and use the rear axle rating as their limiting value. If you where buying a truck to use for a fiver I'd say get a 1 ton SRW but because you've already got a truck I'll say ignore the GVWR and let your rear axle rating determine your maximum pin weight.

My door label says the GAWR Rear is 6000lbs, so does that mean my maximum pin weight is 6000lbs?

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Your Wife, Kids, and Dogs aren't going Camping with you?? Since you're only adding your weight.

Since you asked, my son was the driver that weighed the truck.My wife usually meets me at the CG with our 13 year old and a few of the dogs. My 3 oldest kids are in college and work part time so they drive themselves to the CG. The only weight I need to add is mine 230lbs - the 140 so I will add 90 more pounds to the scaled weight.

Now that I have answered your question could you answer mine: Is this equation correct: GVWR - scaled weight = available payload.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Subtract your rear empty weight from 6000lbs, or from your rear tires max load rating, and use the lesser amount for max rear loading.

camper1013

Twin Cities

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towingplanner.com has some great weight info. You can enter your weights and it will help calculate thing out for you.

My 5th wheel is 14k on the scale and just about 3k pin weight. There are a lot of people that pull mid sized 5th wheels with 3/4 trucks. We had to upgrade from a 1500 and went straight to the 3500.

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camper1013 wrote:

towingplanner.com has some great weight info. You can enter your weights and it will help calculate thing out for you.

My 5th wheel is 14k on the scale and just about 3k pin weight. There are a lot of people that pull mid sized 5th wheels with 3/4 trucks. We had to upgrade from a 1500 and went straight to the 3500.

Thank you for the info.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS